Confirmed with Link: Frk re-claimed by the Wings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd say Vili Saarijarvi is a great consolation prize, certainly higher upside and fits a need than those players.

He wasn't grabbed with a pick we didn't get from Nashville.

I live in Nashville and get to watch Preds games at my leisure. He's a hockey player, but not a player I, or anyoen else, would probably ever make a thread about. He's less of a loss for Detroit than the late great Shawn Matthias ever was.

As for the return for Detroit, I think Mr I is very happy to keep his playoff streak alive. I am sure it lined his pockets with a few extra million in profit., not to mention the marketing ploy he gets to use.

I think fans forget that DRWs isn't just a game or hobby, it's a business. Losing Jarkrok to keep the streak alive was probably more than worth it to the people who cash checks.

To the fans, it's meh. Jarnkrok isn't anything special.

So the trade was 25th consecutive playoff appearance for an unremarkable player with probably no future on the team with the emergence of Sheahan. Streak > Plug tweener

Money at the gate or in franchise value? Unless TV money is carrying the day, I'm not sure the two or three games the Wings get at home in the playoffs puts their season incredibly into the black - especially with $70m payrolls. At some point around 02 the Wings FO said the conference finals were essentially the breakeven point for them, and those payrolls were comparable to today's.

And the trade didn't really extend anything. What extended it was Nyquist having a massive twenty games to end the year. Legwand was so instrumental in that team that he found himself on the fourth line.

And Jarnkrok is a third line center locked in for $2m. How much are we paying Helm to do that?

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Just so you guys know, there are players getting claimed every season. I'm pretty sure some of you guys did not know that by the looks of it.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
The apologizing being done in here is surprising, and I expected a good amount of it

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
The apologizing being done in here is surprising, and I expected a good amount of it

Funny I came in with completely different expectation and got what I thought I was going to get and then some more.

Constant KH bashing in every thread is getting tiresome though. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
You don't think they'd pay a conditional 7th or swap AHLers? Something is better than nothing.

But even so, I doubt this. Maybe if it had been 1 team. But multiple teams were interested. A better GM could have shopped that a little bit and gotten something.

Remember, this isn't just teams taking a flyer or something only to stash him in the AHL. They have to keep Frk on their NHL roster. There were 3 teams who took a good look and decided that Frk could be a useful NHLer for them this year. If you can't turn that into a conditional late round pick, you are not much of a dealmaker.

I'd argue that this is a team/teams taking a flyer. Carolina isn't competing for the cup and they haven't had the best forward depth. They know forward is Detroit's bread and butter. Why not take a chance on something free? They wouldn't necessarily want to pay for it. And what good is a conditional 7th or AHL player. Conditional 7th usually means not getting anything at all. Why would Detroit want to swap for an AHLer who would not ever make the big club but probably cost a contract?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Funny I came in with completely different expectation and got what I thought I was going to get and then some more.

Constant KH bashing in every thread is getting tiresome though. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I don't disagree with you that it isn't a lot or tiresome -- I just don't see how you could expect anything else or disagree with it at this point.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I don't disagree with you that it isn't a lot or tiresome -- I just don't see how you could expect anything else or disagree with it at this point.

Like I mentioned, you can have one event viewed completely different by different people.

You can say KH is terrible for this or that reasons which has nothing to do this this topic btw. But KH is **** manager because Frk got claimed? Let's all breathe in and get some senses back. You think it is unreasonable some people might view it inconsequential? Even if I thought KH was the worst people in the world, I could certainly entertain that thought but that's just me I guess. Actually I'm pretty sure you can do it too.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Like I mentioned, you can have one event viewed completely different by different people.

You can say KH is terrible for this or that reasons which has nothing to do this this topic btw. But KH is **** manager because Frk got claimed? Let's all breathe in and get some senses back. You think it is unreasonable some people might view it inconsequential? Even if I thought KH was the worst people in the world, I could certainly entertain that thought but that's just me I guess. Actually I'm pretty sure you can do it too.

I don't think people are viewing this event in isolation. It isn't really an easy thing to do with general managers who have long tenure in sports. I don't think losing Frk for nothing is a huge loss. I don't think anyone in this thread does. I think it is bad asset management, and I think a lot of other people in this thread do too (as seen in their posts.)

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

You'd think KH is losing Dylan Larkin's every year for nothing due to "poor asset management", all while really only losing Landon Farraros' and bunches of nobody's who can't even hack Pro level hockey.

I knew Frk wasn't a player worth sweating over almost 2 years ago. But apparently KH "whiffed" on trading him to one of these NHL clubs that were "apparently" lining up to give us their assets for him. Realistically, Frk wasn't worth a bag of pucks. For free however, sure some scrub team might take a chance on him. Why not? It's just funner bashing KH over delusional theorys.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I don't think people are viewing this event in isolation. It isn't really an easy thing to do with general managers who have long tenure in sports. I don't think losing Frk for nothing is a huge loss. I don't think anyone in this thread does. I think it is bad asset management, and I think a lot of other people in this thread do too (as seen in their posts.)

Please, show me a GM who has not lost a prospect through waiver. I mean do we even care? You know I hope Frk make most of his opportunity but christ, some of you guys are just pilling on and pilling on.

Also you said people are not viewing this in an isolated case. That's the problem right there. Haters, you made your point. For about 1000 times already. If you dont think all the people who even remotely skimmed this forum dont know what your message is, can rest assured every frigging person knows you think KH is ****. We get it. Just dont try to shove it down everyone's throat every thread por favor. We are not evil by thinking differently. If you get mad by KH and his move, dont unleash that hate onto rest of us.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Please, show me a GM who has not lost a prospect through waiver. I mean do we even care? You know I hope Frk make most of his opportunity but christ, some of you guys are just pilling on and pilling on.

Also you said people are not viewing this in an isolated case. That's the problem right there. Haters, you made your point. For about 1000 times already. If you dont think all the people who even remotely skimmed this forum dont know what your message is, can rest assured every frigging person knows you think KH is ****. We get it. Just dont try to shove it down everyone's throat every thread por favor. We are not evil by thinking differently. If you get mad by KH and his move, dont unleash that hate onto rest of us.

I feel like a lot this message is aimed at me, or like you're lumping me specifically into this group of haters. I try my best to be as reasonable as possible when posting my opinions on here. I don't think you'll be able to find too many really harshly worded posts of mine about Holland unless it is a reactionary post in a trade/ UFA signing thread. I am usually able to convey my thoughts in a way that should not be read in a triggering/ inflammatory way. Again, I don't disagree that the hating on this board is A LOT and very tiring to bog through, but we are allowed to be critical and want the best for the team at the same time as being a fan, right? Like I don't think you're trying to say I'm being unreasonable, but your message in general seems to be more inflammatory than people who post "HOLLAND IS GARBAGE" type posts where the context is relevant, like threads detailing how he lost a prospect for nothing.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I feel like a lot this message is aimed at me, or like you're lumping me specifically into this group of haters. I try my best to be as reasonable as possible when posting my opinions on here. I don't think you'll be able to find too many really harshly worded posts of mine about Holland unless it is a reactionary post in a trade/ UFA signing thread. I am usually able to convey my thoughts in a way that should not be read in a triggering/ inflammatory way. Again, I don't disagree that the hating on this board is A LOT and very tiring to bog through, but we are allowed to be critical and want the best for the team at the same time as being a fan, right? Like I don't think you're trying to say I'm being unreasonable, but your message in general seems to be more inflammatory than people who post "HOLLAND IS GARBAGE" type posts where the context is relevant, like threads detailing how he lost a prospect for nothing.

My apology if you took it that way. Of course, as you know I do not follow you or your post specifically so I have no way of knowing what your specific opinion is.

Hell why did I even bother to post in this thread anyways. If any of you didn't mean so, it was not directed at you. Let's talk about Frk again instead of my rambling.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
There goes Eternal Sunshine, raging again. What a loose cannon.

Not even remotely surprised. I'm sure you noticed there sure are lot of raging here as of lately. Actually for several seasons now.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And Janmark has now career threatening genetic-based knee injury, a problem both GMs knew during that trade.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...anmark-knee-surgery-friday-minimum-5-6-months
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2016/1...ery-osteochondritis-cartilage-update-jim-nill

I think we overpaid at time of the trade, but when reading these articles, it was already known by both sides, and Nill took the long-shot risk and now it doesn't look very promising for Janmark.

I'm not sure I see where this is coming from. Nill mentions it's a genetic problem, but he doesn't say when anyone actually knew about it. And if it had been known about for years, treatment in the past would have apparently been more likely to succeed and prevent future problems. And I don't recall any talk about Janmark recieving treatment for his knee while he was a prospect here.

Pretty much. I think where a lot of posters see this club in relation to the league also makes people wonder why we're (re)signing 30+ year olds while losing 22 yr olds for nothing. We're not cup contending teams, and filling out our fourth line with Miller and Ott is going to change that. I don't think it really changes whether or not we're a playoff contending team. It's just a waste.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Pretty much. I think where a lot of posters see this club in relation to the league also makes people wonder why we're (re)signing 30+ year olds while losing 22 yr olds for nothing. We're not cup contending teams, and filling out our fourth line with Miller and Ott is going to change that. I don't think it really changes whether or not we're a playoff contending team. It's just a waste.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point. The development philosophy and approach to young players making the roster has been the same for the past 20 years. The young guys can't just be good enough to make the team, they have to make the team better. Larkin is a prime example of a player coming into camp and taking over. He earned his spot pretty easily. Compare his play to Mantha or AA and you can see why one is a blossoming superstar and the others are still finding their way.

Miller, Ott, and Glendening were a fantastic together while a lot of the young players people love around here couldn't string together consistent performances. Those guys came ready to play.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point. The development philosophy and approach to young players making the roster has been the same for the past 20 years. The young guys can't just be good enough to make the team, they have to make the team better. Larkin is a prime example of a player coming into camp and taking over. He earned his spot pretty easily. Compare his play to Mantha or AA and you can see why one is a blossoming superstar and the others are still finding their way.

Miller, Ott, and Glendening were a fantastic together while a lot of the young players people love around here couldn't string together consistent performances. Those guys came ready to play.

Then Tomas Holmstrom wouldn't have become a Red Wing. We wouldn't have had Max Kuznetsov around to move for Mat Schneider, or Yan Golubovsky for Igor Larionov. And both of them saw ice time on clubs significantly better than anything we're icing this year.

It also goes against what made the Wings a winning organization in the first place. Yeah, we drafted Stevie, Feds, and Lids. We also gave chances to guys like Draper, McCarty, and LaPointe. We took a flier on Maltby in a trade with Edmonton and gave him a chance. We put guys like Greg Johnson and Mike Sillinger in the lineup who, while they didn't win here, they established value and either allowed us to use them as trade chips for guys who did win here, or just had long, solid NHL careers.

It also goes against how a good chunk of this team is built. Sheahan didn't "earn" his spot. He got it when a bunch of injuries happened and he played well. Nyquist got his first extended look the same way. Tatar? Pretty much. Jurco? Yep. Mrazek constantly filling in for Gustavsson on the IR? Yep. Larkin? Where was Datsyuk at the beginning of last year? Oh, injured. There's a convenient roster spot.

What's more, Athanasiou stepping into the lineup last year and was better than a lion's share of the roster. What did it earn him? Exactly what his waiver status said.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
KH has made a lot of ****** roster decisions, but, this one, if it was ******, and that's not been established, won't be anywhere near the top of the list. Frk or Pulkks is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic if that is what makes or breaks this team.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

Why do they have to be better than veterans. What are we playing for exactly, slim chance of limping into the playoffs?
Isn't this the best time to make changes and fill roster spots increasingly with young guns?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sort of thing we wrote about several years ago in the prospect thread. Everyone could see the logjam coming but Holland seems to be totally fine with developing a few players for other teams in the league every year. Might aswell trade away the draft picks.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If 3 teams wanted Frk, he had trade value.
Are you kidding me here? 3 teams wanted a free addition for their forward depth. Keyword here being free. 26 teams out of 29 didn't want him despite that.

If you're GM of one of the 3 teams that put in a claim why do you give up anything for a guy like Frk when you're probably thinking you can get him on waivers, and if not you're hardly going to lose sleep over it?

We pick up players like Sadowy and Russo for free who both look on track to make the big league. Yet we lose a Frk and we "can't afford it" and it's a huge failure by Holland.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Are you kidding me here? 3 teams wanted a free addition for their forward depth. Keyword here being free. 26 teams out of 29 didn't want him despite that.

If you're GM of one of the 3 teams that put in a claim why do you give up anything for a guy like Frk when you're probably thinking you can get him on waivers, and if not you're hardly going to lose sleep over it?

We pick up players like Sadowy and Russo for free who both look on track to make the big league. Yet we lose a Frk and we "can't afford it" and it's a huge failure by Holland.

Sadowy cost the Wings a 3rd round pick. Russo was free.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad