Confirmed with Link: Frk re-claimed by the Wings

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Quite funny standpoint.

Holland did made some good asset management at free agency, getting free quality players like Nielsen and Vanek, and that caused this poor asset management? :D

I think these moves have been huge and unqustionable win for Red Wings in overall team strength.

A short term win. A long term loss

[NHL][/NHL]
You can't afford to lose players like Frk for nothing either.

Exactly my point

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you don't see the value that Miller and Ott bring on the 4th line then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Pretty much this.

Who would Frk outplay on the long run?

Our winger depth chart on short-term:
Zetterberg
Abdelkader
Nyquist
Tatar
Vanek
Athanasiou
Mantha
Sheahan
Svechnikov
Bertuzzi
Pulkkinen/Frk

when looking deeper, there's kind of no spots on long run. 3 offensive lines, 6 winger spot for offensive duties. Even if Zetterberg retires, Vanek walks away, 1 guy is lost on expansion and 1 lost in a trade for D, we would still have:

Winger spot long-term depth chart:
1. Abdelkader
2. Nyquist
3. Tatar
4. Athanasiou
5. Mantha
(Sheahan, just as an example, lost on expansion)
6. Svechnikov
-----------
7. Bertuzzi
8. Pulkkinen/Frk

So Bertuzzi is a guy who can also contribute great level at 4th line duties, but both Pulkkinen and Frk are out of future TOP9 Winger spots. This kind players have very little long-term value. Others in front have more.

Team have depth charts and our winger depth chart is pretty full. Carolina has sucked for years, and they have open winger spots for guys like Frk, who won't fit to other team's chart.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Thoroughly disappointed. Have always liked him. His absolutely sucks. Carolina again. Hope he does well.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
If you don't see the value that Miller and Ott bring on the 4th line then I'm not sure what to tell you.
The question isnt what they bring it is what Frk brings better. We already have a glut of shut down cant score 4th liners.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Landon Ferraro was a lot better AHL scorer than Frk, and without PP time. I was more sure about Ferraro panning out in NHL as a fast skater (which Frk is not), but so far, Ferraro has had hard hurdles to climb over to become NHL regular.

Boston used him only as a spare part for the injured Chris Kelly, then replaced him with own prospects. Now the guy is at St. Louis, as a 15th forward as the depth chart. On waiver wire again.

Last edited by a moderator:

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
My only problem with this is that the organisation seems unable to work out which of its waived prospects may have some value. Given 3 teams claimed him, it should have been possible to at least grab a 4th,5th or 6th round pick or another unheralded prospect.

That said, Frk was always a super long shot to make this roster because we have a great breadth of talent, despite a lack of depth of talent (ie lots of NHL players not so many possible stars), and his awful first 2 years as a pro meant that last year was a bit too little too late, (especially combined with the much maligned Pulks, who was a point scoring machine at AHL level and before his injury last season was looking like a decent 3rd line PP option before dropping off badly). His game translates more the NHL style than Pulks, but ultimately, the Finn did everything a team could want in terms of excelling at every level prior the NHL and has deserved an extended look, whereas FRK had 2/3 of a v good season at the AHL level. I think he has a good chance of being an every day NHL, and like the guy a lot, but in terms of the wings, they had to favour Pulks ahead of him, because Pulks has just been a better player by a distance at every level prior to the NHL.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
You CAN NOT hang onto to every single prospect because they might one day down the road put up a 20-30 point season and MAYBE match the performance you're getting each and every year out of someone already on the team.

Yeah, it's way better to badly overpay your 'proven' vets who bring no more to the table than your cheap prospects. God forbid you replace them with equally talented kids, unless, of course, you're so scared of your own developmental ineptitude that you can't possibly let go of the low-floor/low-ceiling guys you already have, just in case the low-floor/high-ceiling guys you have are somehow even worse. But hey, I'm *sure* Helm will turn that 3rd line into a top-tier scoring unit. :rolleyes:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The point isn't that the Wings should have kept Frk, it's that there was clearly interest in Frk and Holland got absolutely nothing for it. He shouldn't have had to give Frk away like he did.

Where are the reports that KH refused trades for Frk? Maybe he could have traded him for Landon Farraro. If so what's the point?

Frk had no trade value. He'll do just fine helping the hurricanes tank

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where are the reports that KH refused trades for Frk? Maybe he could have traded him for Landon Farraro. If so what's the point?

Frk had no trade value. He'll do just fine helping the hurricanes tank

I think most posters are recognizing this is a trend and not an isolated incident.

By itself, it's not a big deal. Repeat: not a big deal. But watching it happen repeatedly raises questions as to why it keeps happening.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The point isn't that the Wings should have kept Frk, it's that there was clearly interest in Frk and Holland got absolutely nothing for it. He shouldn't have had to give Frk away like he did.

Obviously i agree.

If 3 teams were willing to put in claims on FRK. He would be worth a 6th/7th to that team.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think most posters are recognizing this is a trend and not an isolated incident.

By itself, it's not a big deal. Repeat: not a big deal. But watching it happen repeatedly raises questions as to why it keeps happening.

It's happening because Nill was bad in the organization and I believe he was part of out wasted pick. Now Nill is gone and Tyler Wright seems like a great addition to the scouting staff.

I have been all for getting rid of Nill and Hakan. Nill is finally gone, things will finally start getting better

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

People still complained when Janmark, Jarnkrok, and Backman were traded. They'll be angry either way.

For some reason people here believe that every promising draft pick should pan out.

If 3 teams were willing to put in claims on FRK. He would be worth a 6th/7th to that team.

To me is says Frk is worth the risk if you don't have to give up any assets. He's a completely unproven player that finally had a good (not great) year in the minors after bouncing between the ECHL. He had a famed junior career playing on a line with Drouin and MacKinnon. He's worth taking a flier on.

But I don't get the idea that for any player claimed off waivers ultimately should have been traded for value. That's fantasy talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's happening because Nill was bad in the organization and I believe he was part of out wasted pick. Now Nill is gone and Tyler Wright seems like a great addition to the scouting staff.

I have been all for getting rid of Nill and Hakan. Nill is finally gone, things will finally start getting better

Nill was bad, we've lost players for no return that have made other organizations better, which in turn makes us stronger. :help:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I really haven't paid attention to when players were drafted and who was in charge of the draft. Who have been some of Tyler Wright's great draft picks who have panned out so far?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I really haven't paid attention to when players were drafted and who was in charge of the draft. Who have been some of Tyler Wright's great draft picks who have panned out so far?

wright has been in charge after 2013 draft, so 2014 was his first draft. larkin looks like a great pick but way too soon to really evaluate.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Another tweet from Mirtle already confirmed multiple teams. So it's 2 or 3. You win this round, I guess?

Kind of goes to show how little we know about who would pass through waivers or not. Recall most saying it was all but a guarantee Frk would pass through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad