News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois) -- Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Honestly, I rather trade for Dubois and his 4 RFA years vs Barkov and his 2 years and then UFA.
You really do not make the slightest sense here. Barkov is so much better. The objective of the game is to win the Cup, you realize this right? It's not about RFA vs UFA or contract years.
If you're talking about two similar type of players, then fine, but we're not.

Reactions: Vachon23

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
PLD is 22, big, very skilled and has massive upside. And it seems he wants to play for Habs. He will not be a '50 point centre' for long. I would trade Danault + KK and a first in a second for him.
Massive upside? Meh, I don't agree. I don't think he's a ppg type, just like I don't see KK being one either.
No way I would disrupt my team so much for PLD.

Reactions: domiwroze

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You really do not make the slightest sense here. Barkov is so much better. The objective of the game is to win the Cup, you realize this right? It's not about RFA vs UFA or contract years.

Team control and cap are important factors. Can you stop with the condescending narrative. The point here is not to go all in for a 2 year window. Give your head a shake! I can play your condescending game too. Try a bit harder to talk with respect vs staring a post like this... "You really do no make the slightest sense here". It's not complicated.. 4 RFA years vs 2 years then UFA. The salary cap and team control is a major factor. I rather give PLD $8M vs Barkov $10M+ and then have difficulty to sign Suzuki and Romanov. Take more time to understand vs spitting insults out cause you think I think Dubois is better than Barkov. What a joke! You are not easy to talk to when there is disagreement and you constantly go to insults.

So yes. I rather trade futures for PLD vs Barkov. PLD in our mix can win us a cup now and in the future. You go after those top heavy guys all you want. You will have to pay them and screw up your cap! You act like I don't know who Barkov is. I think you would be a horrible GM and you end up like the Oilers management.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Team control and cap are important factors. Can you stop with the condescending narrative. The point here is not to go all in for a 2 year window. Give your head a shake! I can play your condescending game too. Try a bit harder to talk with respect vs staring a post like this... "You really do no make the slightest sense here". It's not complicated.. 4 RFA years vs 2 years then UFA. The salary cap and team control is a major factor. I rather give PLD $8M vs Barkov $10M+ and then have difficulty to sign Suzuki and Romanov. Take more time to understand vs spitting insults out cause you think I think Dubois is better than Barkov.

So yes. I rather trade futures for PLD vs Barkov. PLD in our mix can win us a cup now and in the future. You go after those top heavy guys all you want. You will have to pay them and screw up your cap! You act like I don't know who Barkov is. I think you would be a horrible GM and you end up like the Oilers management. You don't have the right to throw out insults and not get them back but I bet you will try

Barkov instantly becomes your best player. You move others for him. He's at 5.9M for another year so you also have time to figure things out. Not just that, this is under COVID days where the league is impacted players aren't going to get the huge paydays they normally would.
PLD at 8M?????? What? Why? I wouldn't even go over 6.5M.

I think we simply, as I said earlier, have a fundamental difference in what we think of PLD. I see him as barely an upgrade on Danault, you obviously value him much more.
I wouldn't give Suzuki for PLD, I'd happily pack his bags for Barkov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Barkov instantly becomes your best player. You move others for him. He's at 5.9M for another year so you also have time to figure things out. Not just that, this is under COVID days where the league is impacted players aren't going to get the huge paydays they normally would.
PLD at 8M?????? What? Why? I wouldn't even go over 6.5M.

I think we simply, as I said earlier, have a fundamental difference in what we think of PLD. I see him as barely an upgrade on Danault, you obviously value him much more.
I wouldn't give Suzuki for PLD, I'd happily pack his bags for Barkov.

Sorry. I'm not going to trade a shit load of futures for Barkov and his 2 years left. No matter how much I like Barkov. PLD with his 4 RFA years and at age 22 is where I would dig deep in futures. I rather not have another $10M contract at the same time we have to sign Suzuki and Romanov. You just don't understand the now and future strategy and you don't care to think about it either. You got 2 window in your eyes and nothing else. Habs are not there. With or without Dubois or Barkov, we likely don't win a cup in the next 2 years. We are not close enough to mortgage the future for 2 years of Barkov.

You can have your own strategy but drop the condescending narrative

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Massive upside? Meh, I don't agree. I don't think he's a ppg type, just like I don't see KK being one either.
No way I would disrupt my team so much for PLD.

Blue Jackets don't knock out the Leafs without Dubois. You don't need 100 pt guys to win a cup. If Barkov was Dubois age and with 4 RFA controlled years, I'd be all over it. Compare our team to Tampa all you wish... we won't be able to have value contracts like that. Barkov takes us to the cleaners on his next contract or he walks.

You are way to low on Dubois. Barkov didn't do that much better from age 19-21 age range. It's very possible Dubois tops out at 60-70 pts range but we also have Suzuki who is very skilled and on a steep learning curve.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sorry. I'm not going to trade a shit load of futures for Barkov and his 2 years left. No matter how much I like Barkov. PLD with his 4 RFA years and at age 22 is where I would dig deep in futures. I rather not have another $10M contract at the same time we have to sign Suzuki and Romanov. You just don't understand the now and future strategy and you don't care to think about it either. You got 2 window in your eyes and nothing else. Habs are not there. With or without Dubois or Barkov, we likely don't win a cup in the next 2 years. We are not close enough to mortgage the future for 2 years of Barkov.

You can have your own strategy but drop the condescending narrative

PLD can hold out and ask for another trade at a lower value too, if things don't work for him like it's not in CLB. In both cases, you can extend them if you want.
What mortgage the future, you're trading the same amount of futures for both, that's the crazy part of you choosing PLD. I said your offer of Danault/KK/1st is something that should bring back Barkov, not PLD.
You said even at that, you rather get PLD, the lesser player....just because he's a RFA. Bonkers.

We are way way closer to the a cup window with Barkov/Suzuki than PLD/Suzuki. It's not even close.

Stop talking about being condescending when you keep repeating yourself that ''I just don't understand the strategy''. You're being just as condescending. I just don't make a big deal out of it like you. Just drop this useless point.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Barkov is a top 10 center in the league I don't care that in 2 years he become UFA. If he become available, what I doubt, he come the #1 target and no one in untouchable for him. He is right there with the Matthews/Eichel/McDavid of this world

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PLD can hold out and ask for another trade at a lower value too, if things don't work for him like it's not in CLB. In both cases, you can extend them if you want.
What mortgage the future, you're trading the same amount of futures for both, that's the crazy part of you choosing PLD. I said your offer of Danault/KK/1st is something that should bring back Barkov, not PLD.
You said even at that, you rather get PLD, the lesser player....just because he's a RFA. Bonkers.

We are way way closer to the a cup window with Barkov/Suzuki than PLD/Suzuki. It's not even close.

Stop talking about being condescending when you keep repeating yourself that ''I just don't understand the strategy''. You're being just as condescending. I just don't make a big deal out of it like you. Just drop this useless point.

I'd take my chances that Dubois wants to stay more than Barkov. Plus Dubois is RFA controlled after his 2 year deal. Barkov at $10M+ at the same time you have to extend Suzuki and Romanov is a cap disaster. Dubois should be around $8M ish (max) if he continues on his track. And if he is not as good as you think he is, he gets much less and we are move competitive overall as a team cause we can retain our talent.

I'm totally respectful if you do the same.... look around with other conversations. You started that condescending tone and now you are acting like the victim when you get it back. Pathetic. It's very clear you can't handle a disagreement well.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
How many people have actually watched PLD play?

If you see him play you will understand why he will be a PPG player.
PLD won't be a ppg player for his career but absolutley the kind of player that when he's in his prime with good wingers that can be close to or go over ppg for 2 or 3 years before averaging back to 70 points per. He's not top tier like McJesus or MacKinnon but I'd place him a tier below at his peak and certainly a top line center throughout his career.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I agree Barkov is far better player. Dubois only scored 60 points one season. That was playing with Panarin. A fire hydrant could score 60 points playing with Panarin. The other 2 years Dubois only scored 48 and 49 points. Barkov is 96 point scorer. Not even close if you ask me

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree Barkov is far better player. Dubois only scored 60 points one season. That was playing with Panarin. A fire hydrant could score 60 points playing with Panarin. The other 2 years Dubois only scored 48 and 49 points. Barkov is 96 point scorer. Not even close if you ask me

Dubois had 49 pts and 18 goals in 70 games last year without Panarin and at the age of 21. Prorate that to 57 pts and 21 goals. He then backed that up with 4 goals and 10 pts in 10 playoff games.... once again, without Panarin.

What did Barkov do from age 19-21? 36 pts, 59 pts and 52 pts.

Basically the difference from age 19-21 is 0.68 pts/game vs 0.74 pts/game. That's looking at points only. Now I do think Barkov is more gifted offensively but it's not a massive gap at the same age points.

The Panarin narrative is flawed

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'd take my chances that Dubois wants to stay more than Barkov. Plus Dubois is RFA controlled after his 2 year deal. Barkov at $10M+ at the same time you have to extend Suzuki and Romanov is a cap disaster. Dubois should be around $8M ish (max) if he continues on his track. And if he is not as good as you think he is, he gets much less and we are move competitive overall as a team cause we can retain our talent.

If Barkov asks for 10M+ that means he's done very well for himself this year and the next, which would be terrific for us. I fail to see how that's a problem. Suzuki and Romanov would be coming out of their ELC with no arbitration rights, we can bridge them if need be. There are of no concern at all.

I don't see Dubois becoming much more than what he already shown. I think he tops out at a 65ish pt center. Could be me simply not knowing enough about the kid, but I just don't believe it from what I have seen. I don't think we would even improve with PLD here and Danault+KK out moving forward.
Barkov? Absolutely, we improve.
It's as simple as that.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Barkov asks for 10M+ that means he's done very well for himself this year and the next, which would be terrific for us. I fail to see how that's a problem. Suzuki and Romanov would be coming out of their ELC with no arbitration rights, we can bridge them if need be. There are of no concern at all.

I don't see Dubois becoming much more than what he already shown. I think he tops out at a 65ish pt center. Could be me simply not knowing enough about the kid, but I just don't believe it from what I have seen. I don't think we would even improve with PLD here and Danault+KK out moving forward.
Barkov? Absolutely, we improve.
It's as simple as that.

It's not even debatable between Barkov and Dubois and I LOVE Dubois. Barkov is only 25 at 5.9m for the next 2 years and he's a horse.
-He can play 22 minutes a game
-He's one of the best defensive player in the league
-PPG and + player
-6'3 220

Bring him in Montreal and he complete change our offence and he put us right there whit any team in the league. It worth the price for what he would cost in 2 years

Reactions: Jabba11

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I blame Dubois for this mess. Torts is a tool as we all know but PLD has screwed up that locker room by telling his teammates he doesn't want to be there. If someone paid me 5 Million per season to play hockey I would STFU and play hockey.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You really have no clue what you are talking about. Dubois was on pace for 3-4 less points than his year with Panarin with no good forwards to play with. He's gotten better. Of course Barkov is better, but you are just stat watching when it comes to Dubois and you aren't even doing it properly.
If KK takes another step, he is a younger cheaper PLD so no point in trading for him :banghead:
If KK doesn't take another step, you can forget about Dubois because Columbus won't settle for him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I think PLD can still perform without Panarin but he's not on Barkov's level, nowhere near it.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's not even debatable between Barkov and Dubois and I LOVE Dubois. Barkov is only 25 at 5.9m for the next 2 years and he's a horse.
-He can play 22 minutes a game
-He's one of the best defensive player in the league
-PPG and + player
-6'3 220

Bring him in Montreal and he complete change our offence and he put us right there whit any team in the league. It worth the price for what he would cost in 2 years
Ya..no need to tell me. I'm surprised this is even a discussion to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad