News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois) -- Part Deux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Barkov asks for 10M+ that means he's done very well for himself this year and the next, which would be terrific for us. I fail to see how that's a problem. Suzuki and Romanov would be coming out of their ELC with no arbitration rights, we can bridge them if need be. There are of no concern at all.

I don't see Dubois becoming much more than what he already shown. I think he tops out at a 65ish pt center. Could be me simply not knowing enough about the kid, but I just don't believe it from what I have seen. I don't think we would even improve with PLD here and Danault+KK out moving forward.
Barkov? Absolutely, we improve.
It's as simple as that.

We don't see it the same. I think we are wasting each others time.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The thing that could maybe help for Barkov is that the guy who draft KK is now there. And he draft a lot of our prospect so that could help n the negos but I highly doubt they will trade him. You don't move a world class player like that

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Would you trade KK even up for Dubois? Considering the extra cap hit, shorter team control, quarantine, etc...

We can't fit under the cap if it's 1 for 1. And realistically Columbus isn't going to want overpaid players on long term deals so it's not a simple trade. But yeah taking into time to ufa, quarantine, etc... It's still worth doing.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Barkov and it not close really.

Barkov is a stud!

I have a choice between Barky or PLD and I take Barkov.

KK + Caufield + Fleury + 2nd
He'll I'd give up more.

Barkov is avg PPG over the last 3 seasons!

That's cause you can't rewind to where Barkov was after his age 21 season. And no, I'm saying Dubois busts out like Barkov from age 22 plus.

This is fact, not opinion: Difference from age 19-21 seasons are 0.68 pts/game vs 0.74 pts/game.

Nobody knows what Dubois's ceiling is at age 22. He could be topped out or he could have more room to grow yet. It's the same BS with Romanov narrative prior to him playing in the NHL. Some seem to think they can cap a player's potential while they are in development years and it's comical. Players develop at different rates and you really don't know until they are age 25 usually. Exceptions to the rule but the exception is not the rule. Sometimes you know more at age 23 and sometimes you know more at age 26. It's not an exact science. Are you going to say that Dubois is capped out as a 60 pts center at the age of 22?

It's getting carried out of the way now. I'm going back to the original point. I rather trade futures for PLD at age 22 with 4 RFA years vs trading a shit load of futures for Barkov who is UFA after 2 years and you have zero team control. People can make fun of that all they want

Some poster is going to twist this into me saying I think Dubois is better than Barkov now. Spins in full circles. It's a cap strategy and acquiring the younger player if you are going to trade a shit load of futures.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I blame Dubois for this mess. Torts is a tool as we all know but PLD has screwed up that locker room by telling his teammates he doesn't want to be there. If someone paid me 5 Million per season to play hockey I would STFU and play hockey.

The captain of the boat is always to blame when there's a mutiny. His greatest skill is supposed to be able to rally everyone together no matter what. That's why a bully never makes for a great captain.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Anyone who takes PLD over Barkov are in need of a major awakening. Barkov is a more impactful player than PLD and I'd take Barkov in a heartbeat over PLD. Not even the same skillset. Not the same vision. Barkov is amazing. Not discrediting PLD or anything, but Barkov is on a next level than PLD is. Talk to me again when PLD scores 96 pts.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Are people so sure that if they acquire PLD for KK that either PLD or Suzuki would wind up as 3C? So far Danault is playing 1:30 more at EV than Suzuki is through 3 games and KK is playing less at EV than Suzuki.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
We don't see it the same. I think we are wasting each others time.

If I don't see it either way, are you both wasting my time? Is the point to convince the other one they are wrong and you are right? If it is, I'm at the wrong forum...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
By the same token, you might have to give up pieces that could also help you win a Cup in overpaying to land Dubois. It all depends on price paid, as we’ve been saying from our earliest posts.

Get Dubois but don’t gut the team.
If that deal can get done by sending KK and Byron and a combination of picks and or prospects....I’m all over it.

Guhle and Primeau or my two prospects that I really want to hold onto right now, pretty much untouchable if KK is involved in this trade.

I’d also try to stay away from dealing Tuch, Fleury, Norlinder and Struble.

Caulfield, Harris, Ylonen, Mysak, Hillis, Brook, Poehling plus all our picks this year would be in play to sweeten the pot, find a combination of prospects or prospect plus pick that makes sense and that deal is done.

I’d imagine Caulfield plus a D prospect or one 1st or a 2nd and 3rd.....I’d just make it work.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
I feel Torts will be fired if this slow start continues much longer, especially when combined with the distractions/rhetoric. I believe he’s also in the final year of his contract. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. His leash may be shorter than that of PLD. Maybe then , it becomes more likely PLD stays right where he is.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The captain of the boat is always to blame when there's a mutiny. His greatest skill is supposed to be able to rally everyone together no matter what. That's why a bully never makes for a great captain.

That's not going to happen so, it's an easy out for you to say that.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Truth is...Suzuki is your best offensive center. Danault is your best defensive center.

Suzuki isnt as good defensively as Danault and Danault isnt as good offensively. KK isnt better offensively or defensively than either at the moment.

Dubois, while probably not as good defensively as Suzuki or Danault, is definitely better offensively than Danault.

So if you could put Dubois in, instead of KK- you have to do it. Our window is now. Not in 5 yrs when KK is primed but Price/Weber/Petry are done.

Put Dubois in KK place and keep same lineup and its a different ball game. Dubois can carry a line. Instantly would make that "3rd" line a legit threat.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Are people so sure that if they acquire PLD for KK that either PLD or Suzuki would wind up as 3C? So far Danault is playing 1:30 more at EV than Suzuki is through 3 games and KK is playing less at EV than Suzuki.
They scoring though so can’t complain to too much.

The line that produces gets the extra few minutes of playing time in my books.

PP time though should be allocated to any centre but Danault.....same with 3 vs 3

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

So? I don't see a #1 or #2 on this team. Suzuki isn't hands down ready to take the lead but, definitely getting closer and closer and KK needs more time to be the de facto #2 C ahead of Danault. Danault will get a little more ice time because he will get the bulk of the tougher matchups with the other team's better players who get more ice time.

If Danault was getting 20 minutes a game and the other two were capped at 14 minutes apiece, we'd have a national disaster n our hands but, that's simply not the case.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I feel Torts will be fired if this slow start continues much longer, especially when combined with the distractions/rhetoric. I believe he’s also in the final year of his contract. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. His leash may be shorter than that of PLD. Maybe then , it becomes more likely PLD stays right where he is.

I this the problem goes beyond Tortorella because Kekalainen doesn't have a favourable reputation with his RFAs either and Dubois, when asked, was quick to stress that it took over 18 months just to negotiate this 2-yr, 5M deal and it really reeked of Dubois agreeing to this in order to expedite being traded and nothing positive on the part of the GM.

The mix of Kekalainen and Tortorella just makes it unliveable.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
They scoring though so can’t complain to too much.

The line that produces gets the extra few minutes of playing time in my books.

PP time though should be allocated to any centre but Danault.....same with 3 vs 3

If they acquire PLD, what is Julien likely to do with the lines and allocation of minutes?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Truth is...Suzuki is your best offensive center. Danault is your best defensive center.

Suzuki isnt as good defensively as Danault and Danault isnt as good offensively. KK isnt better offensively or defensively than either at the moment.

Dubois, while probably not as good defensively as Suzuki or Danault, is definitely better offensively than Danault.

So if you could put Dubois in, instead of KK- you have to do it. Our window is now. Not in 5 yrs when KK is primed but Price/Weber/Petry are done.

Put Dubois in KK place and keep same lineup and its a different ball game. Dubois can carry a line. Instantly would make that "3rd" line a legit threat.

As simple as that. One day, KK might be able to carry a line as well but, that time is not today and likely not tomorrow. Perhaps after tomorrow or beyond but, not before... (hopefully, everyone understands that tomorrow is really the word 'year').

I'd flip Dubois for KK as well, not to break u the chemistry between Drouin, Suzuki and Anderson but, I'd put Toffoli back at RW and move Tatar to the left wing alongside Dubois.

Lehkonen can get the nod to play with Danault and Gallagher and I don't think it will take much away from that line, definitely nothing defensively and, likely, not that much offensively as Lehkonen will get near 15 goals and Gallagher will still produce the same.

The increased production of the third line of Tatar - Dubois - Toffoli will, however, definitely warrant splitting up Tatar from the Danault line.

Reactions: Vachon23

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Wtf are you talking about?

I'm blaming Tortorella, if you knew how to properly read analogies.

It wasn't referring to you so, WTF are you talking about? I was referring to

"If someone paid me 5 Million per season to play hockey I would STFU and play hockey."

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I may have replied to yours after reading his.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
So? I don't see a #1 or #2 on this team. Suzuki isn't hands down ready to take the lead but, definitely getting closer and closer and KK needs more time to be the de facto #2 C ahead of Danault. Danault will get a little more ice time because he will get the bulk of the tougher matchups with the other team's better players who get more ice time.

If Danault was getting 20 minutes a game and the other two were capped at 14 minutes apiece, we'd have a national disaster n our hands but, that's simply not the case.

You may not see a 1C on the team but at EV strength Danault is the 1C, no question. If he could contribute on the PP, which he can't, he'd play 20mins a night. So if you give up a 20 year old, 3 overall pick for PLD, does PLD knock the other 2Cs down the lineup or what is the likely plan with Julien at the helm?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If they acquire PLD, what is Julien likely to do with the lines and allocation of minutes?

Who cares? With Dubois, Suzuki, Danault and Evans as a C-line, plus the depth on the wing we have, any money can coach this team and roll out four lines indiscriminately.

Fire the bum and promote Ducharme to the head coaching position. Say it's for health reasons...

Reactions: Kimota
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad