Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Terrible call to be honest...I'll reserve my judgement until free agency but I'll begin to lose faith in this management team if the roster isn't better. Simmonds provided nothing except for a small stretch when we were in the West.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Fine for 4th line and PP2 at minimum $$$

But I liked the energy Sabourin brought in his 1 game too so there is that

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The idea of what Matt Martin is and what Matt Martin actually does are completely different.

He was actually part of the Isles worst line these playoffs.
they are there 4th line and it's obviously you didn't watch a game NY played if you think Martin or that line played poorly

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Hyman has 35 goals in his last 82 regular season games. He makes every single line he is on better. You aren’t replacing what Hyman provides.

Yea but he's certainly not worth 6+ mill which is what he will be getting on the open market. Would rather get 2 good players with that money rather than him ie: Coleman and Bunting.

I also want to note Hyman was awful in the playoffs. He was as bad as the likes of Marner with horrendous giveaways.

----

That being said; back to the simmonds signing, I think it's an okay move if he's under a mill. A hard working bottom 6ixer.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't know what to say. If only he played better, but he didn't.

This is sort of bad news of you were not a fan of the team we just saw roll over in the playoffs.

Reactions: myleafs

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
As long as its under 1M I'm good with it. He needs to actually be a physical presence in the playoffs though. Where was he after the first 2 games?

I want to keep him on the roster just to keep guys honest. It showed pretty much all year that not many guys wanted to go with the Wayne Train but if he's not grinding guys down all over the ice, he was near useless

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
why are we doing this????
my guess is Dubie is trying sign as many cheap vets to fill the roster so he can then have a little cash to spend on a more expensive player or two

i'm thinking Simmonds signs for 1m max and probably closer to league min which is better than a pto someone else would offer

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It’ll be a good move if Simmonds remembers how to throw a hit or play nasty. He floated way too much last year for a guy who’s role is to bring physicality

That's what I thought too. He brought nothing of what I thought he would bring. Instead he was just trying to dangle for some reason.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
As long as it’s no more than 850,000k I’m okay with this. One thing that is becoming more apparent is that the narrative that players don’t want to play in Toronto is clearly shifting. Guys want to be here, they want to play in Toronto and for Toronto. So I’m okay with signing guys who really want to be here and want to win here.

I’m not sure Simmonds needs to play every night but good internal competition doesn’t hurt.
To me this only works out if Keefe has the balls to sit him out now and then. Not sure he can do that.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
they are there 4th line and it's obviously you didn't watch a game NY played if you think Martin or that line played poorly

I watched a fair bit of them. He finishes checks and there's maybe a bit of empty possession in 1 out of every 5 of his line's shifts.

Just because the crowd roars whenever he does finish one of his checks doesn't mean he's somehow a great player.

Reactions: Cams

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
It’ll be a good move if Simmonds remembers how to throw a hit or play nasty. He floated way too much last year for a guy who’s role is to bring physicality
He was a completely different player after he broke his wrist.

If he comes back at league minimum he's a fine depth piece and good room guy but no way he should play all 82.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I watched a fair bit of them. He finishes checks and there's maybe a bit of empty possession in 1 out of every 5 of his line's shifts.

Just because the crowd roars whenever he does finish one of his checks doesn't mean he's somehow a great player.
no one's saying he's a great player and Trotz trusted that line to take a fairly regular shift , they played well for a 4th line and a hell of a lot better than ours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad