Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here's the thing. We don't improve unless Matthews & Marner step up. Shifting around minor pieces isn't going to do anything. I don't think any senile person was really blaming the bottom 6 for the Montreal series.

I agree 100% ..

Marner and Matthews combined for 1 goal in 7 games last series so it doesn't matter how many bottom 6 forwards you move around its not going to fix that.

Simmonds is one of the few forwards that wouldn't get swept away by the physical play in the playoffs, so his return is certainly not going to hurt Leafs playoff results.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Of course Simmonds is coming back. The leafs pr department out in full force.

Simmonds at any price is complete garbage. I would much rather have a rookie making 750K than a washed up has been whos guaranteed a spot no matter how terrible he plays.

I eagerly await Dubas and co getting fired.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
LOL!!! No other team would’ve given Simmonds ANYTHING aside from a PTO. He is a bum. He doesn’t scare anyone. He can’t skate or handle the puck.

He is a washed up SCRUB and shouldn’t be in the league!!

"but hes from Scarborough!"

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
"but hes from Scarborough!"

he was pretty good this year, prior to the injury, people are just overreacting like we always do. He’s physical and isn’t bothered by playing that style, you need that. Blame Keefe for putting him together with Thornton to form the slowest line in the league...

I quite liked him in the Top 6, he was able to keep up and give JT some room to work down the stretch at times and before the injury

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
His stretch of good was shorter than Thornton's and didn't reach the same highs. He's a big defensive liability that no longer brings much offense. I suppose we need a guy to fight since he and Foligno were the only fighters on the team.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Wayne Simmonds was Neutered in the playoffs. It was clear as day. He wouldn't engage or try to mix it up. The coaching Staff had him and the whole team in shackles when it came to the physical stuff.

I'm fine with bringing back Wayne Simmonds. But it's not gonna make a difference if we're constantly telling him to "stay away from the whistles, don't take stupid penalties, don't retaliate"

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Wow it sounds like it totally going to be the same team next year……what the hell will be the point of watching

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
he was pretty good this year, prior to the injury, people are just overreacting like we always do. He’s physical and isn’t bothered by playing that style, you need that. Blame Keefe for putting him together with Thornton to form the slowest line in the league...

I quite liked him in the Top 6, he was able to keep up and give JT some room to work down the stretch at times and before the injury

He was "good" at the beginning of the season when the PP was firing above 40%.
The first few months of any season is essentially an extended training camp and shouldn't be used as an indicator.

Reactions: finallaptwin

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Simmons coming back is fine.

Replace Thorton, Engvall and Mikheyev with more hard-working, hard-nosed and energy players in the bottom 6.

The Simmonds signing is the complete opposite of that.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I mean... I guess I'm fine with league min for one year.

Is there any way this is just them meeting Seattle requirements?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Fine at 4RW, but shouldn't play over Spezza. Maybe Spezza to 3rd line and somehow being load managed? Either that or Spezz is back at full time C.

In a vacuum both signings are ok (Spezza being great) but I have trouble liking a lineup with both as everyday players.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Anyone who has paid attention to Dubas speak knew he was going to make re-signing Simmonds a top priority. I wish they cared more about winning than scoring points off the ice.
He's fine as a league minimum signing however the grit he use to bring seems to have disappeared around the same time his skills started to drop off. The Simmonds of a few years ago would have been an awesome addition (yes, I am aware that version of Simmonds would cost a lot more).

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm ok with it. He provides something that no one else on the roster does.

The plan from management is clearly to take another crack at it with, essentially, the same team. So it's not surprising to me that they're trying to bring him back.

Next is Foligno, I'd bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad