Sportsnet: Friedman: Simmonds Extension Getting Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This forward group is soft as butter and assuming Simmonds get a league minimum deal it's fine.

Simmonds is well past his best days but if not him who else to play way down the lineup that brings physicality and willingness to stick up for his teammates at near league minimum? Simmonds is the only guy who fought more than once last season and he had a total of 3 of the teams 8 fighting majors.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's washed up. What the hell are you doing Dubas. Seriously just f***ing stop.

Simmonds at 750K isn't worth it, give that 750K to Perry if he's willing to come here, or let Joey Anderson have that 12th/13th forward spot.

Simmonds sucked. Dubas is going to try and run the same team back

Simmonds can't hit, skate, shoot, or fight anymore. He is going to be as useless as Joe Thornton next year.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Knowing Dub, he signs him for 4 years at 1.5, with a NMC and signing bonuses. How we roll.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
He has to be at 750k, can't be anywhere near his 1.5m cap hit last season, we could use that 750k on another potential signing.

The Wayne train being on the 4th line only at league minimum isn't the worst, they know what they have in him and if they can trust him. Really have to empathies if its not at 750k its not a good deal. He was better then Jumbo Joe last season.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone read the point 16 and 17 on 31 thoughts with Steve Valiquette? Mentions the leafs.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Knowing Dub, he signs him for 4 years at 1.5, with a NMC and signing bonuses. How we roll.
I swear if he gets that, every person who roasted Lou for the 4 x 1.5M Martin COntract will look like a complete clown. Martin>> Simmonds right now. Simmonds simply isn't a player the leafs should sign. If we wanted a gritty 4th liner should have kept Clifford

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The picture is becoming clearer..

Appears like Wayne Simmonds -- Adam Brooks -- Jason Spezza is Leafs 4th line plan for next year.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So choosing Wayne over Corey again........will this joke of a GM ever learn?

who's to say we can't have both? also why wouldn't MTL want to resign Perry? There's no guarantee Perry even hits the market.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wayner is fine in a limited role .. he can get same greasy goals in front of net as Perry but he is much tougher .. no one wants to mess with him so it will help out team .. just hope we only go 1-2 years at less then 1M per AAV .. anything more than 2 years is a mistake

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Anyone who has paid attention to Dubas speak knew he was going to make re-signing Simmonds a top priority. I wish they cared more about winning than scoring points off the ice.
He's fine as a league minimum signing however the grit he use to bring seems to have disappeared around the same time his skills started to drop off. The Simmonds of a few years ago would have been an awesome addition (yes, I am aware that version of Simmonds would cost a lot more).
and what do these points get them? cause it sounds rather silly that garnering some points over winning is a priority.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
and what do these points get them? cause it sounds rather silly that garnering some points over winning is a priority.

Not sure, I guess it gets them notoriety with non hockey/sports fans. I agree with you, it is silly in pro sports to prioritize anything over winning/results.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I’d rather someone younger and hungrier than Simmonds to be the fourth line tough guy but whatever. Hopefully his AAV is only 6 figures.
This. I liked Simmonds in his prime, but he won’t be a perry type for us come playoff time. Rather a younger energy guy in that spot. JMO.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Wayne Simmonds was Neutered in the playoffs. It was clear as day. He wouldn't engage or try to mix it up. The coaching Staff had him and the whole team in shackles when it came to the physical stuff.

I'm fine with bringing back Wayne Simmonds. But it's not gonna make a difference if we're constantly telling him to "stay away from the whistles, don't take stupid penalties, don't retaliate"

They get these guys but then they neuter them for some reason. Doesn’t make sense at all.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t mind this at all to be honest as long as it’s less than the 1.5 million he is currently making. If you bring that down to 1 million, it’s hard to really argue it. I’m hoping for a combination of these forwards for the fourth line next season,

Anderson/Brooks, Spezza and Simmonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany