Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Bo Horvat at 50% (and willingness to sign an extension) for Ceulemans, Foudy, 2023 1st (top 3 protected. Becomes 2024 first if top 3).

As a base?
I think the Canucks would want at least one more top 50 pick in this kind of deal. But as you asked, yes this is a base to start the discussion

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think the Canucks would want at least one more top 50 pick in this kind of deal. But as you asked, yes this is a base to start the discussion
Not for Columbus. The first thing that needs to be understood is that one part of the proposal - "(and willingness to sign an extension)" - carries exactly zero value whatsoever and has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not a proposal is acceptable to the Jackets. The other thing is that the 1st in 2023 isn't being traded for blood or money.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not sure about this comparison. Strome seemed to have struggled to find a role early on and eventually put it together with the Rangers at 25/26. Monahan on the other hand started his career off as a potential high value long time top 6 C but then fell off at 25/26 with a lot of injuries.
I was just commenting on where they are now and what Monahan might fetch at the deadline.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
You could have just said "ya, you guys are right".

That's not what he was saying. He was saying "you guys need to lower your expectations." Rumors are rumors. They don't have to happen. You don't have to read the stuff he posts. The constant complaining about this is significantly more annoying than a hockey writer posting rumors/speculation like he's paid to do.

Reactions: Toe Pick

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Horvat is the last player a bottom 2 team should trade for unless there is an extension in place. If there is one, we want Ceulmans, Foudy, top 2 protected 1st and a 2nd in 2024 as the min.

I still say Miller makes the most sense for them.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Horvat is the last player a bottom 2 team should trade for unless there is an extension in place. If there is one, we want Ceulmans, Foudy, top 2 protected 1st and a 2nd in 2024 as the min.

I still say Miller makes the most sense for them.
You can say it, but it doesn't make it true.. he's essentially another liable winger who is only going to fill the spot on the ice we're trying to give to Laine. And then his cap hit takes away our ability to sign Laine when his contract is up.

Reactions: Cowumbus and Viqsi

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
You can say it, but it doesn't make it true.. he's essentially another liable winger who is only going to fill the spot on the ice we're trying to give to Laine. And then his cap hit takes away our ability to sign Laine when his contract is up.
So Miller now causes issues signing Laine in 4 years? What are the winning lottery numbers?

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Going from taking Monaham + a 1st as a cap dump to flipping him for 1st seems a tad optamistic yeah
Playing like he's been playing lately,
Monahan 50% + a prospect like Ylonene or Struble would bring back a first for sure.
That is knowing that the team is making the playoff off course.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Monahan is proven 30 goal 80 point guy. A two-way center good on faceoffs and penalty kill. A first is steal for other team.
Two way center? Lol.

Dude is being spoonfed minutes with the top guys in Montreal and still can't produce.

I don't see any contender being interested in him, because any team that could use him in their top 6 is not probably not a contender.

Reactions: majormajor

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Two way center? Lol.

Dude is being spoonfed minutes with the top guys in Montreal and still can't produce.

I don't see any contender being interested in him, because any team that could use him in their top 6 is not probably not a contender.
Dach plays with Suzuki and Caufield. Monahan centers Johnthan Drouin and Armia. Which are two dead weights. If you don't know what you are talking about why respond??

Monahan has taken 69 faceoffs winning 54% while playing 16:49 a game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dach plays with Suzuki and Caufield. Monahan centers Johnthan Drouin and Armia. Which are two dead weights. If you don't know what you are talking about why respond??

Monahan has taken 69 faceoffs winning 54% while playing 16:49 a game.
Monahan's most common linemates have been Suzuki and Caufield:

And still Monahan has 3 points at 5v5... If you don't know what you are talking about, why respond?

Monahan is a good faceoff man though. That doesn't make him a two way center lol.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Monahan's most common linemates have been Suzuki and Caufield:

And still Monahan has 3 points at 5v5... If you don't know what you are talking about, why respond?

Monahan is a good faceoff man though. That doesn't make him a two way center lol.
Monahan hasn't played on first line in last 4 games. He's been one of our best players this season. Guy is a thoroughbred.

Habs will get a first for him all day long.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Monahan hasn't played on first line in last 4 games. He's been one of our best players this season. Guy is a thoroughbred.

Habs will get a first for him all day long.
How many points does he have in those last 4 games?

So yeah probably not getting a first for a $6M guy who can't score or defend. Thoroughbred haha

Reactions: Vipers31

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Monahan for a first? Unprotected
At the deadline, if completely healthy, at 50% retention, a 1st in the 25-30 range (or a second rounder in the top handful) might be possible, but the biggest question with Monahan is his health, and the sample size isn't enough to push his value from "negative 1st rounder to "positive 1st rounder" (even with the retention).

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I sort of wonder if Jesper Boqvist might deserve a shot at a bigger role in Columbus, in addition to a chance to play with his brother. Cost wouldn't be too high and if NJ did it, it's likely out of respect for Boqvist. He still has to prove himself but he's a smart player with some potential but he'll never get big minutes in NJ, especially at C.
Some CBJ fans might not be as into that but I'd be a fan of that move. Not sure on the cost but CBJ has a few "change of scenery" kind of guys (Bean, Bemstrom) and some intriguing mid-tier prospects who could be a fit.
CBJ fan and fan of Boqvist. From what I’ve seen of him the dude seems to deserve more of an opportunity at the NHL level. NJ does have depth up front.

I’d take Boqvist over many forwards on the CBJ. The issue/question is, is he’s really what they need at this point?? I like his offensive game mostly, what the CBJ need is a real legit “two way” center. Also, how good is he at center?? They are already forcing wingers to play center, although I’d rather have Boqvist playing center over Roslovic and Sillinger, and he’s probably a better option than K Johnson, for at least a couple seasons.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
How many points does he have in those last 4 games?

So yeah probably not getting a first for a $6M guy who can't score or defend. Thoroughbred haha
You said all season last year we couldn't get a first for Chiarot. We got double what you said we couldn't get. We got an unprotected first, decent prospect and a 4th. I hope your knowledge and accuracy on trade value still the same. For we would get 3 first for Monahan. Going by your track record

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You said all season last year we couldn't get a first for Chiarot. We got double what you said we couldn't get. We got an unprotected first, decent prospect and a 4th. I hope your knowledge and accuracy on trade value still the same. For we would get 3 first for Monahan. Going by your track record
When did I say that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad