Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
What about Jiricek++ for Horvat (resigned)
A good second line center for a 6'3 right shot defensemen taken sixth overall who is already playing NHL games who has at least three ELC years left (four if they send him down and slide his contract)… and you want the Jackets to add to that?

Jiricek and Johnson are pretty much untouchable unless a real superstar player comes available. Sillinger and Mateychuk aren't far behind – I'd give up one of them if it was Pettersson coming back.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Not picking on Friedman specifically, because he's far from the worst, but how is "dunno wtf is going on, but I gotta 'wonder' about some unsubstantiated shit to justify my paycheck, so here goes" constitute a career?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Not picking on Friedman specifically, because he's far from the worst, but how is "dunno wtf is going on, but I gotta 'wonder' about some unsubstantiated shit to justify my paycheck, so here goes" constitute a career?
Only Lebrun and McKenzie seemed to put out interesting tidbits on a regular basis, and Bobby Mac retired to make mojitos or summat.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Hockey "insiders" have mastered the art of saying nothing while drawing attention.

Nothing imminent, but this team may be looking to do something at some point, but they also may not.

Say this like that’s even 10% of the article

32 thoughts is “catchy” or whatever and it sorta establishes it as “a thing”, but obviously not as much is going on every week consistently so there will be some filler at times.

Overall this one (actually 23 thoughts; hes said it’s difficult to do every week with the podcast and other stuff so he’s doing smaller installments) was actually pretty good for keeping up and little tid bits

He doesn’t write them for over eager fans on message boards to start new trade threads is the important thing tho, lol. IMO if anything is a joke about it, it was the thread being started.

I’m guess his point is the team is rebuilding so there’s a distinct chance they wouldn’t care to rush into a trade, as some may have assumed they wouldn’t, but on the other hand he said their management looked really irked after a recent loss. so maybe they’re willing to risk a payment for somebody, if they can work something worthwhile out.

There’s not necessarily worthwhile centers are worthwhile price for where they’re at, so he’s not going to commit to “expect a trade”

Last edited:

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Say this like that’s even 10% of the article

32 thoughts is “catchy” or whatever and it sorta establishes it as “a thing”, but obviously not as much is going on every week consistently so there will be some filler at times.

Overall this one (actually 23 thoughts; hes said it’s difficult to do every week with the podcast and other stuff so he’s doing smaller installments) was actually pretty good for keeping up and little tid bits

He doesn’t write them for over eager fans on message boards to start new trade threads is the important thing tho, lol. IMO if anything is a joke about it, it was the thread being started.

I’m guess his point is the team is rebuilding so there’s a distinct chance they wouldn’t care to rush into a trade, as some may have assumed they wouldn’t, but on the other hand he said their management looked really irked after a recent loss. so maybe they’re willing to risk a payment for somebody, if they can work something worthwhile out.

There’s not necessarily worthwhile centers are worthwhile price for where they’re at, so he’s not going to commit to “expect a trade”
You could have just said "ya, you guys are right".

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
You could have just said "ya, you guys are right".
My point was they, and people you see pop into these threads, essentially try to sound smart by really complaining about nothing

It’s an understandable thing to throw in the piece, not as “juicy” or interesting as some parts, but not just saying nothing to say nothing. Not everyone follows every team as closely as a lot of people on here. It’s a mix of stories and ‘what’s happening around the league’

There are plenty of real bullshit merchants who throw out a bunch of nothing they made up or an agent gave them, but this isn’t that. You said you weren’t singling out Friedman, but you said “made up” shit “based on nothing”. He explained what he meant and where it came from.

Pretty easy to see what his job is and why he’s been around so long

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Mentioned this on the podcast earlier and then it was in the written 32 Thoughts yesterday.
A young talented top six center who won’t hurt the cap? No. No. Wouldn’t be interested but maybe those dopes on Columbus want one.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's early but Monahan seems to have recovered from his hip issues that were plaguing him. He has not looked out of place in the top 6 and is third in points on the Habs. We are debating on our board whether to flip him for another first or extend him due to his younger age.
He’s, kind of, Ryan Strome part two, right? Not that that’s a bad player. Just saying I don’t think he draws a ton of attention at the deadline. Teams usually are looking for a finisher or grit.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Pius Suter is being wasted as a 3rd / 4th line left wing, he could help in Columbus. A 4th and a RHD prospect would be cool.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In any case the idea being taking on bad contr/cap doesn't matter as van is not competitive for playoffs.

Gaining cap space, flexibility, and picks/prospects is the big benefit. Move Garland and boeser in similar deals and have a significantly better prospect pool/future outlook in a couple short years.

Of course. But who cares moving miller is the point.
CBJ might care, and a lot.
Bo Horvat (extended)

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I wonder if something around Voracek for Couture may work?

SJS gets out of Couture's contract three years early (saving $8m of cap each year from 2024-2027). CBJ flips a winger for a center.

Not saying I'd necessarily want that contract, but I think it could work. Not sure who would add (I think Couture is the better player but Voracek having fewer years makes him more valuable imo).

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Don't see Columbus giving up this year's first or any blue chippers for the names in this thread but if something can be built around pending UFAs (Nyquist, Gavrikov) or a guy like Voracek then I'm sure Jarmo's phone is burning hot.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Monahan makes a little bit of sense, maybe they can trade and extend him to a 1-2 year worth like 3 million to help Gaudreau a bit while their younger C's develop. Still a small sample size to say he's a top 6 centre again though.

He is likely the only centre available that fits their needs, that wouldn't cost a ton to acquire. Would need to get full retention and a little creative depending on when they do it cap wise

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I sort of wonder if Jesper Boqvist might deserve a shot at a bigger role in Columbus, in addition to a chance to play with his brother. Cost wouldn't be too high and if NJ did it, it's likely out of respect for Boqvist. He still has to prove himself but he's a smart player with some potential but he'll never get big minutes in NJ, especially at C.

Reactions: thebus88

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Pius Suter is being wasted as a 3rd / 4th line left wing, he could help in Columbus. A 4th and a RHD prospect would be cool.
hes not being wasted, hes just a very bland player who doesnt do anything amazing besides kill time off the clock. He's a good 4th line centerman.

feel like cbj needs more then that.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I sort of wonder if Jesper Boqvist might deserve a shot at a bigger role in Columbus, in addition to a chance to play with his brother. Cost wouldn't be too high and if NJ did it, it's likely out of respect for Boqvist. He still has to prove himself but he's a smart player with some potential but he'll never get big minutes in NJ, especially at C.
Some CBJ fans might not be as into that but I'd be a fan of that move. Not sure on the cost but CBJ has a few "change of scenery" kind of guys (Bean, Bemstrom) and some intriguing mid-tier prospects who could be a fit.

Reactions: thebus88

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He’s, kind of, Ryan Strome part two, right? Not that that’s a bad player. Just saying I don’t think he draws a ton of attention at the deadline. Teams usually are looking for a finisher or grit.
Not sure about this comparison. Strome seemed to have struggled to find a role early on and eventually put it together with the Rangers at 25/26. Monahan on the other hand started his career off as a potential high value long time top 6 C but then fell off at 25/26 with a lot of injuries.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hmmm I see a team without a #1 C and wonder... would they like to have a #1 C????

Deep thoughts.

• Haha
Reactions: CupInSIX

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The idea of a center is to help Kent and Sillinger develop. Miller is ideal because when they are ready, he moves to the wing.
Miller is not ideal because we need someone who can handle defensive play adequately, and his age means he doesn't match our core.

* * *​
Bo Horvat at 50% (and willingness to sign an extension) for Ceulemans, Foudy, 2023 1st (top 3 protected. Becomes 2024 first if top 3).

As a base?
Unconditional no to the 1st, and we can't take the cap back in any case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad