Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Mentioned this on the podcast earlier and then it was in the written 32 Thoughts yesterday.

Nothing imminent or anything like that, but I’ve wondered if Columbus would look for some help at centre until their good young players are fully ready for this. Blue Jackets management had “if looks could kill” faces after the 7-1 loss to New Jersey on Sunday.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I agree that they could use a Center until their young Centers are ready to play big minutes.

One guy they should consider is Toews. He’s older now yes, but I think if you give him Gaudreau and Laine for wingers, he will do just fine.

Toews only has 1 year left on his deal so that’s a plus. Obviously cap retention is needed. I could see something around Toews and 50-60% retained for Roslovic.

Reactions: Fro and abo9

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I agree that they could use a Center until their young Centers are ready to play big minutes.

One guy they should consider is Toews. He’s older now yes, but I think if you give him Gaudreau and Laine for wingers, he will do just fine.

Toews only has 1 year left on his deal so that’s a plus. Obviously cap retention is needed. I could see something around Toews and 50-60% retained for Roslovic.
Toews has looked good to start this year. 6 goals and 2 assists. Not sure if he would agree to be traded though. And I very much doubt the return the hawks would want is Roslovic.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Two more non needle moving bottom six Cs. Might as well add the overpaid Groude to the list of non needle moving additions teams shouldn’t make.
It's early but Monahan seems to have recovered from his hip issues that were plaguing him. He has not looked out of place in the top 6 and is third in points on the Habs. We are debating on our board whether to flip him for another first or extend him due to his younger age.

Reactions: egelband

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Or Monahan ;)
Well, if they want someone for a few years, Dvorak might be an option, whereas if they just want a rental, Monahan could be a fit.

Monahan, Toews and many others would be options as UFA signings, though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It's early but Monahan seems to have recovered from his hip issues that were plaguing him. He has not looked out of place in the top 6 and is third in points on the Habs. We are debating on our board whether to flip him for another first or extend him due to his younger age.
Nobody is giving a first for Monahan lol

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A team like Columbus shows that you need to build with defense, centres and goaltending. They have a stacked corp of wingers but it's not working.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Makes sense.

Between Merzlikins and Tarasov, they're probably good in net.
With Werenski and all the other D and top prospects they have, they're probably good on 1st pair D.
With Gaudreau, Laine, and all the other players and prospects they have, they're probably good on 1st line W.
They have several good centers but no 1C, and it isn't clear if Kent Johnson can be a 1C long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad