Rumor: [Friedman] Nothing imminent, but Columbus may be looking for some help at center

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
This isn't a rumor, so why is it labelled as such?

Just wondering why, six pages later, the appropriate tag (speculation) hasn't been put on this thread.
Personally I think he's just speculating without a source on this one.
He said on the podcast that he was told by someone (didn't put this in the written part) that Columbus was looking to make a move for "centers" (could be one or more than one).

He then said in the next breath that he was told by another source that nothing was imminent.

He then speculates that the team is feeling the pressure to shake things up soon.

Might just be a "they're gonna be in Finland so making trades is pointless until next week" kind of thing. Maybe there's something cooking here. But that's me speculating, so.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You Habs fans love to lie through your teeth eh? Common train of thought? Show me 3 posts where people said he's worth a 4th. I'll wait. Jeez.
I can show you where the majority said he wouldn't get a 1st and that was a Common train of thought.
Guess they were wrong

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Something around Miller and Vora makes way too much sense.
Or some other cap from CBJ, even Gudbranson.
Add pick/prospect as req and get er done.

I've love something like that from a Vancouver perspective, but the disparity in contract lengths probably makes that a tougher sell for Columbus. Miller is younger obviously, but that's a lot of extra years they'd be taking on.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I've love something like that from a Vancouver perspective, but the disparity in contract lengths probably makes that a tougher sell for Columbus. Miller is younger obviously, but that's a lot of extra years they'd be taking on.
But they are trading for a ppg centre who moves to the wing when Sillinger and Kent are ready to properly take over.

Miller for Ceulmans, top 5 protected 1st and cap dump(Add additional if we take Vorcek as the dump)

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
But they are trading for a ppg centre who moves to the wing when Sillinger and Kent are ready to properly take over.

Miller for Ceulmans, top 5 protected 1st and cap dump(Add additional if we take Vorcek as the dump)

I don't know that Voracek is really a straight "cap dump" that requires a whole bunch of extra "value" to unload as part of the deal. Not off to a terrific start this season, but that entire team is off to a bad start. Last year, he was still a productive 60pt winger, responsible defensively, and a load to handle when he gets up a head of steam. Still seems to have pretty solid wheels.

He's not big "value added" with that cap hit, but i don't think he's negative "cap dump" value either per se.

As much as it seems to make sense, for Columbus to be interested in Miller...it doesn't seem like the interest there is actually that strong. Partially probably because they have guys like Sillinger and Kent that are coming along and they probably want to give them some run out and find out what exactly they even have there. Just planning to shuffle Miller to the wing down the line is tricky...with big money already committed to Gaudreau and Laine as Wingers.

Reactions: Viqsi

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Thats kinda the whole point.
They just signed JG and werenski, want to keep Laine. Adding miller for a pick and spec while losing voracke contract should be an absolute no brainer...
Esp when boone jenner is your best center and your offense is terrible.
Voracek is 100% a cap dump man, prob for the last 1.5 years, watch a few games and you'll see.

If not CBJ same kinda thing with Benn in Dallas or bailey/jgp/? in NYI.
A few options seem too obvious.

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Unless you think he's going to be a point per game player up until that point (which seems unlikely to say the least as he's only hit that mark once), I'd say that it is. He'll return something (especially at 50%) as long as he keeps up the way he's going, but a 1st seems wildly optimistic.
Why would he have to play at a PPG pace to fetch a first? Look at last deadlines traded firsts….

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They just signed JG and werenski, want to keep Laine. Adding miller for a pick and spec while losing voracke contract should be an absolute no brainer...
Voracek is 100% a cap dump man, prob for the last 1.5 years, watch a few games and you'll see.

Ehhh...I'd say Benn looks significantly more cooked than Voracek, who hasn't been too bad when i've watched him last year. Don't know if maybe he's fallen off substantially this season, but last year he still looked like a serviceable Top-6 winger. Not what he once was obviously, but not a pure cap dump. Benn having an additional year on an even higher cap hit, while also having skating that's fallen off to pretty untenable level...that is a pure camp dump deal that i'd want to see some significant "value added" to compensate for taking it on.

Bailey's deal would also be a really tough one to take on. It's not as grossly outsized as some others, but it'd be a terrible deal to take on given the problems we already have on the books. Like, Vancouver needs another soft perimeter winger like a hole in the head. If it meant taking a mulligan on JT Miller's big contract (so there's more space to actually get Horvat signed), it might be survivable if there's significant other value coming back. But that kind of dead weight is problematic, when we're already carrying plenty of other dead weight. And Miller at least for the time being, is still a good player (even if he's playing like it's still preseason right now, and clearly going through some things).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Would CBJ prefer Bo Horvat to Miller?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Ehhh...I'd say Benn looks significantly more cooked than Voracek, who hasn't been too bad when i've watched him last year. Don't know if maybe he's fallen off substantially this season, but last year he still looked like a serviceable Top-6 winger. Not what he once was obviously, but not a pure cap dump. Benn having an additional year on an even higher cap hit, while also having skating that's fallen off to pretty untenable level...that is a pure camp dump deal that i'd want to see some significant "value added" to compensate for taking it on.

Bailey's deal would also be a really tough one to take on. It's not as grossly outsized as some others, but it'd be a terrible deal to take on given the problems we already have on the books. Like, Vancouver needs another soft perimeter winger like a hole in the head. If it meant taking a mulligan on JT Miller's big contract (so there's more space to actually get Horvat signed), it might be survivable if there's significant other value coming back. But that kind of dead weight is problematic, when we're already carrying plenty of other dead weight. And Miller at least for the time being, is still a good player (even if he's playing like it's still preseason right now, and clearly going through some things).
In any case the idea being taking on bad contr/cap doesn't matter as van is not competitive for playoffs.

Gaining cap space, flexibility, and picks/prospects is the big benefit. Move Garland and boeser in similar deals and have a significantly better prospect pool/future outlook in a couple short years.

Would CBJ prefer Bo Horvat to Miller?
Of course. But who cares moving miller is the point.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In any case the idea being taking on bad contr/cap doesn't matter as van is not competitive for playoffs.

Gaining cap space, flexibility, and picks/prospects is the big benefit. Move Garland and boeser in similar deals and have a significantly better prospect pool/future outlook in a couple short years.

Of course. But who cares moving miller is the point.

I don't know that moving Garland needs to be a priority. If the right offer comes along, absolutely...move him. Moving Boeser though, they really need to do while he's on a bit of a scoring run with some semblance of "value". But he's the guy that i really think you want to get out from under. It's just too much money to be allocating to a guy who really only does 1 thing well, and seems to be struggling with that now as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know that Voracek is really a straight "cap dump" that requires a whole bunch of extra "value" to unload as part of the deal. Not off to a terrific start this season, but that entire team is off to a bad start. Last year, he was still a productive 60pt winger, responsible defensively, and a load to handle when he gets up a head of steam. Still seems to have pretty solid wheels.

He's not big "value added" with that cap hit, but i don't think he's negative "cap dump" value either per se.

As much as it seems to make sense, for Columbus to be interested in Miller...it doesn't seem like the interest there is actually that strong. Partially probably because they have guys like Sillinger and Kent that are coming along and they probably want to give them some run out and find out what exactly they even have there. Just planning to shuffle Miller to the wing down the line is tricky...with big money already committed to Gaudreau and Laine as Wingers.
OH MY G-D THANK YOU SO MUCH. You get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
To Columbus:
-Elias Pettersson
-Bo Horvat
-Thatcher Demko
-Jack Rathbone
-Danila Klimovich
-Nils Hoglander

To Vancouver:
-Jakub Voracek
-Gustav Nyquist
-Cole Sillinger
-Kent Johnson
-Danil Tarasov
-Jack Roslovich
-David Jiriceck
-Yegor Chinakhov

• Haha
Reactions: Chose

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
To Columbus:
-Elias Pettersson
-Bo Horvat
-Thatcher Demko
-Jack Rathbone
-Danila Klimovich
-Nils Hoglander

To Vancouver:
-Jakub Voracek
-Gustav Nyquist
-Cole Sillinger
-Kent Johnson
-Danil Tarasov
-Jack Roslovich
-David Jiriceck
-Yegor Chinakhov

What in the world are you smoking

Reactions: Fro

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

The idea of a center is to help Kent and Sillinger develop. Miller is ideal because when they are ready, he moves to the wing. If they thought they were ready with Kent and Sillinger, they likely are not looking at a center.

What in the world are you smoking
I'm going to say Meth.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Bo Horvat at 50% (and willingness to sign an extension) for Ceulemans, Foudy, 2023 1st (top 3 protected. Becomes 2024 first if top 3).

As a base?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad