Confirmed with Link: Friedman - Flames Extend Matt Stajan 4 Years, $3.125m/year

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Uggh 4 years? That is a long time for a centre thats constantly referred to as "capable".

It doesn't mean he is going to stay here for all 4 years. Probably plays here for 2 more, and is moved to another team he see's that he still has some term left with a reasonable cap hit.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It doesn't mean he is going to stay here for all 4 years. Probably plays here for 2 more, and is moved to another team he see's that he still has some term left with a reasonable cap hit.

That's true, and don't get me wrong I still think he's a pretty useful player for this team. It just strikes me as a bit of a safe play by Burke, which maybe isn't such a bad thing. Just seems like a long time for a guy that's never particularly impressed, and isn't likely to very soon.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's true, and don't get me wrong I still think he's a pretty useful player for this team. It just strikes me as a bit of a safe play by Burke, which maybe isn't such a bad thing. Just seems like a long time for a guy that's never particularly impressed, and isn't likely to very soon.

I wouldn't say he never impressed. I was damn impressed last year when he centred our best line and was consistently a plus all season on a losing team.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I wouldn't say he never impressed. I was damn impressed last year when he centred our best line and was consistently a plus all season on a losing team.

I guess it comes down to whether you view Stajan as part of the problem with this team or as part of the solution. I'm firmly on the fence for a guy who has been everything from a healthy scratch to a 1st line centre. Probably still bitter over the Phaneuf trade(I know it's not on Stajan). I'll wait and see what Burke can obtain for Cammalleri.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I guess it comes down to whether you view Stajan as part of the problem with this team or as part of the solution. I'm firmly on the fence for a guy who has been everything from a healthy scratch to a 1st line centre. Probably still bitter over the Phaneuf trade(I know it's not on Stajan). I'll wait and see what Burke can obtain for Cammalleri.

What if I view him as "he'll do until someone better comes along"?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Matt Stajan did not take a hometown discount. For a four year contract? He has been a Flame for the last 4 years. In which time he has scored TWENTY NINE GOALS. With a season high of EIGHT GOALS.

Hopefully we get get extensions for Cammy, Stempy, Russell, Butler and Berra etc. because the Flames are just sooooooo good. Sign them all. They are great for the kids. And they try so hard. Those Flames never quit.

Stajan was never a goal scorer. What exactly is your point? He was on pace for 10 last year, and 14 this year. That's all anyone should expect from him.

While I want Cammy, Stemp, and Butler gone, Russell definitely needs to be re-signed. He's been great this year, and losing him really showed just how important he is.

Last edited:

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Stajan was never a goal scorer. What exactly is your point? He was on pace for 10 last year, and 14 this year. That's all anyone should expect from him.

While I want Cammy, Stemp, and Butler gone, Russell definitely needs to be re-signed. He's been great this year, and losing him really showed just how important he is.

I guess my point is that 4 @ 12.5 isn't a hometown discount. Never a goal scorer? Not much of an assist maker either. 105 points in four years as a Flame.

I just don't like the signing. Every UFA that the Flames re sign makes the future Flames look just a little bit more like the present Flames. Not a good thing in my mind.

I was hoping that none of the Flames UFAs would be back. (with the exception of Russell but ONLY if the Flames are able to move out a couple of their D who are signed for next year)

While you are right that we shouldn't be expecting more offence from Matt Stajan, I expect more offence from the best/highest paid center on an NHL team.

No biggie though. The Flames have made signings that I don't like before, and they will make many more. Really, in terms of NHL comparables, the contract is not terrible. Stajan has four years to make me change my mind. Ya, four more years of Matt Stajan. Great.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Matt Stajan did not take a hometown discount. For a four year contract? He has been a Flame for the last 4 years. In which time he has scored TWENTY NINE GOALS. With a season high of EIGHT GOALS.

Hopefully we get get extensions for Cammy, Stempy, Russell, Butler and Berra etc. because the Flames are just sooooooo good. Sign them all. They are great for the kids. And they try so hard. Those Flames never quit.

I understand the sarcasm in the second part, but one of those names is not like the others. It would be foolish to let Russell go.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Urgh, I don't like the term. It's probably market value or below, and he's not a bad player these days but I predict that by the 3rd year of this deal he'll be obsoleted by Reinhart, Knight, Colborne, Backlund, Arnold etc. Still good to have him around for the next couple of seasons and hey, maybe Burke can flip him for a stud D-man down the line. :laugh:

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I guess my point is that 4 @ 12.5 isn't a hometown discount. Never a goal scorer? Not much of an assist maker either. 105 points in four years as a Flame.

I just don't like the signing. Every UFA that the Flames re sign makes the future Flames look just a little bit more like the present Flames. Not a good thing in my mind.

I was hoping that none of the Flames UFAs would be back. (with the exception of Russell but ONLY if the Flames are able to move out a couple of their D who are signed for next year)

While you are right that we shouldn't be expecting more offence from Matt Stajan, I expect more offence from the best/highest paid center on an NHL team.

No biggie though. The Flames have made signings that I don't like before, and they will make many more. Really, in terms of NHL comparables, the contract is not terrible. Stajan has four years to make me change my mind. Ya, four more years of Matt Stajan. Great.

One the plus side he doesn't really improve this team. He's basically here to just shelter the kids. Having him here only increases our chances at McDavid IMO. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2010
Got to meet him earlier today and give him a handshake and a congratulations on the contract. Hope he remains a steady player in his time with the Flames. Nice guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad