Confirmed with Link: Friedman - Flames Extend Matt Stajan 4 Years, $3.125m/year

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I'm okay with this.. like I said on the mainboard.. i'd be fine if he traded him and i'd be fine if we kept him.

So would this mean Backlund would be expendable? Or is he going to be our 3rd line center moving forward?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm especially curious about the price and length. I'm happy with this as long as its a movable contract. Backlund doesn't instill confidence as being our workhorse centre and its simply too unfair to Monahan to expect that kind of responsibility

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
If it's something like 2yrs 2.5M$, why not. Actually even the money is irrelevant from a salary cap POV as the Flames will be closer to the floor the next few years.

I like Backlund but having him as the most senior citizen at C is just asking for trouble.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Obviously more valuable to us then what he would get in a trade.

This. We would most likely only get a 2nd from him, if that since he is a UFA.

Signing isn't Burk's suit IIRC. Hope it's only a two-three year deal for a stopgap.

JulianHopper*

Not really that surprising if true.

I'll be interested to see the terms, I believe I said earlier this year that he would re-sign for 3 years at around $5M.

At worst Stajan will be the Flames 4rth line center but more than likely will be a top 2 or 3.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
If it's something like 2yrs 2.5M$, why not. Actually even the money is irrelevant from a salary cap POV as the Flames will be closer to the floor the next few years.

I like Backlund but having him as the most senior citizen at C is just asking for trouble.

Caphit is important. We want a moveable contract in case he no longer becomes a part of the plans. For example, let's just say Reinhart or Knight play very well come training camp, all while Backlund keeps up the momentum and becomes our workhorse? Putting Stajan on the 4th line isn't very useful to either party.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wasn't it you that said Burke would trade him because he doesn't like him?

Yes and I still believe he should. Stajan isn't a long or even medium term player for the Flames. He's not great at faceoffs, a top 6 player or physical. Just because the Flames center depth is lacking does not mean they should keep it the same. If they extend Stajan and then trade Backlund I will be pissed.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes and I still believe he should. Stajan isn't a long or even medium term player for the Flames. He's not great at faceoffs, a top 6 player or physical. Just because the Flames center depth is lacking does not mean they should keep it the same. If they extend Stajan and then trade Backlund I will be pissed.
Matt Stajan is exactly who you want on this team during a rebuild. While Monahan, Knight and Colborne are developing he will play anywhere up and down the lineup without a negative word. When the kids are playing well he will take a lesser role without sulking and when they are struggling he can take on a bigger role. He is the consummate team player and is loved in the room.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I guess it makes sense.. But Ragins been pissing me off lately and I'm surprised Burke is gonna keep him, constantly falling down, and sooooo weak on the puck. But hey, I guess all the people who claim to know Burkes mind were wrong, who woulda thought.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I guess it makes sense.. But Ragins been pissing me off lately and I'm surprised Burke is gonna keep him, constantly falling down, and sooooo weak on the puck. But hey, I guess all the people who claim to know Burkes mind were wrong, who woulda thought.

No no no. I never claimed to know Brian Burke. I claimed TO BE Brian Burke. Big difference :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is a good move. Stajan is very popular in the locker room and he's a good leader. You cannot have a center group that has Backlund having played the most games, especially in our division. Stajan is a good guy, I'm happy he's sticking around. He's really won me over, I hated this guy 2 seasons ago.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Not sure which Stajan you're watching.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
MacLean on Hockey Central @ Noon, claims he heard a Stajan extension was a priority while he was in Calgary for the prospects game last week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad