Confirmed with Link: Friedman - Flames Extend Matt Stajan 4 Years, $3.125m/year

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
4 years $3.125 per

GROSS
It all depends on the salaries each year too. I was hoping for 3 or less, but if it is front loaded it will make him easier to trade in the final years.

And props to Stew, he almost nailed it. Guessing 4 years/12 million.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
4 years $3.125 per

GROSS

Gross? The cap will be over 80 million by the time that deal is done. For a center that can play any where in your lineup and is a top pker and the only center over 24 we have this is a solid deal. There isn't anyone outside of maybe Stastny that is better and probably could be convinced to come here.

Its seems to me that this not only gives us a solid vet that is good defensively and that will do what ever is asked of him without complaining. We get closer to the cap floor and he still have a centerman that can win at least 50% of his draws.

How there is still this stigma towards Stajan I will never understand he is the perfect 3C on a contender or a decent 2nd liner if needed to be.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The thought of Stajan for 4 more years makes me nauseous.

I honestly think he is playing well this year because its a contract year. Now that he has it, watch him go back to his crap play.

Not happy about this at all.

Because last year was a contract year too? (he was probably better last year)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Mad props to Stewie!

It all depends on the salaries each year too. I was hoping for 3 or less, but if it is front loaded it will make him easier to trade in the final years.

And props to Stew, he almost nailed it. Guessing 4 years/12 million.

Not surprising to me. Hopefully there's no conditions attached (NMC/NTC)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No, you are wrong.

A qualifying offer does nothing but make them an RFA instead of a UFA. Once you extend the offer you continue to hold their rights. It is not a contract unless it gets accepted.

Case in point. The Flames made qualifying offers on July 2nd this year (it was later than normal because of the lockout). On that date Greg Nemisz received a qualifying offer of $888,125. On July 5th they signed Nemisz to a 1 year contract for $725,000; $163,125 less than his qualifying offer.

There are several reasons why a player will accept a deal after receiving their qualifying offer, the most common being term but AHL dollars and lowered cap hits are other reasons.
A qualifying offer only results in a 1 year contract if it is accepted by the player. To some players sacrificing dollars for term is something they prefer.

For borderline NHL players there are other reasons to accept lesser deals as Nemisz did. The 2 biggest reasons are AHL salary and on teams tight to the cap to lower their cap hit in order to get a better chance of cracking the roster (which on a 2 years deal more NHL time means much bigger money even at a low cap hit).​

Arbitration is a whole other beast. A player most both be eligible and choose to file for it for it to happen.

I think that maybe, without wanting to put words in someone else's mouth, the point he was getting at was that if you qualify a guy like ROR, there's a very good chance that he just accepts it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=701489
"I want to be a part of what’s going on here. We have a lot of promise with the young guys. I just want to see this through. I think with (Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke) coming in and righting the ship right now and seeing what he’s done with previous teams, I’d love to be a part of this. My family loves it in Calgary. Hopefully we can get something done here.â€

Stajan, who was acquired on Jan. 31, 2010 from the Toronto Maple Leafs, is in the final season of a four-year, $14 million contract.

Coach Bob Hartley would be more than comfortable having him back for more.

“Staj, he’s a great leader,†said Hartley. “I have lots of faith, lots of trust in Staj. On the ice, he’s a true pro. Off the ice, he takes care of himself, takes care of everyone. I think that he found a niche with us. He feels good. He feels comfortable. We do the same. “

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think that maybe, without wanting to put words in someone else's mouth, the point he was getting at was that if you qualify a guy like ROR, there's a very good chance that he just accepts it.
Unless he wants term, you don't see many high end players taking 1 year deals anymore. If ROR accepts the QO of 6.5 million he will just have to do it again next summer. Since he will still be an RFA.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After getting traded by Burke before this must have made Stajan happy that Burke likes him enough to want to keep him around.
As I tried telling Zirakgirl a while ago when we were discussing this, Stajan simply did not fit in with the plans for the Leafs at the time. Trading a player does not mean you don't like them, it's a business and GMs sometimes have to give up assets they like. Plus Stajan has grown as a player in his time here.

Being 4 years older on a rebuilding team also makes a difference as before he was about to be a young UFA, was not young enough to be apart of the youth movement, but not enough of a veteran to be a key leader going forward. Now Stajan has been in the league for 10 seasons and has a wealth of experience he can share with the kids coming up.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Hey I gave him credit and called him a warrior and is playing great this year. I just don't want him for 4 more ****ing years. At all.

Who is going to want to come here and

A) Only play the defensive minutes and little to no pp time

B) How much are we going to have to overpay them meaning that it is harder to move them later.

Not having him and missing out on all the UFA's is a plan built for failure. If we get Stastny this offseason we can always look to move Stajan again next season. Going into the offseason without at least a fall back plan in place for veterans next year is a poor mistake.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As I tried telling Zirakgirl a while ago when we were discussing this, Stajan simply did not fit in with the plans for the Leafs at the time. Trading a player does not mean you don't like them, it's a business and GMs sometimes have to give up assets they like. Plus Stajan has grown as a player in his time here.

Being 4 years older on a rebuilding team also makes a difference as before he was about to be a young UFA, was not young enough to be apart of the youth movement, but not enough of a veteran to be a key leader going forward. Now Stajan has been in the league for 10 seasons and has a wealth of experience he can share with the kids coming up.

At the time of the trade the media made Stajan out to be an anti Burke type of player (to soft etc). I'm sure that Stajan's ego was helped a little in knowing that Burke likes his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Who is going to want to come here and

A) Only play the defensive minutes and little to no pp time

B) How much are we going to have to overpay them meaning that it is harder to move them later.

Not having him and missing out on all the UFA's is a plan built for failure. If we get Stastny this offseason we can always look to move Stajan again next season. Going into the offseason without at least a fall back plan in place for veterans next year is a poor mistake.
yep and I think this is a case where Staj gave up dollars for term. On a 1 or 2 year deal I have no doubt he could have received 4-5 as a UFA.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At the time of the trade the media made Stajan out to be an anti Burke type of player (to soft etc). I'm sure that Stajan's ego was helped a little in knowing that Burke likes his game.
Just goes to show you can't always drink the media kool-aid.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think we would have to offer Statsny 7-8 million per on a 5-7 year deal for him to legitimately considering coming here.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I think we would have to offer Statsny 7-8 million per on a 5-7 year deal for him to legitimately considering coming here.

Yep, now that is gross!

Term is a bit longer but I can live with it. Stajan has been good the last two seasons not just this contract year. He wants to play here which is going to be a rarity the next few years.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't like a 4 year signing either because that makes him 34 when he hits UFA. Its a bit much given that we had some ups and downs with Stajan over the past 3 seasons.

But he took a pay cut and that certainly helps us and the Flames going forward. Now just get Russel signed and I'm happy

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Unless he wants term, you don't see many high end players taking 1 year deals anymore. If ROR accepts the QO of 6.5 million he will just have to do it again next summer. Since he will still be an RFA.

Anglesmith is correct, that is what I meant. ROR would only be shooting himself in the foot to accept a long term deal below his QO. He'll get the term and the QO AAV somewhere and some point.

I understand the legalities just horrible at articulating it on my phone.

As for Stajan, yay!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad