Confirmed with Link: Friedman - Flames Extend Matt Stajan 4 Years, $3.125m/year

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I really dislike having to dish out the fourth year on this contract seeing as he is already 30 years old and all. I would have been content with three years, and happy with two.

The dollar amount is perfectly fine as far as I am concerned, and is definitely in line with what he can bring to this team.

If I am being honest I did not want to have him return to the lineup next year, but since he is I can more than live with it I suppose.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hey I gave him credit and called him a warrior and is playing great this year. I just don't want him for 4 more ****ing years. At all.

Understandable. When I think rebuild, I think a transition of roster. Either Burke expects it taking us 4 years to transition at centre ice, or he thinks Stajan is a survivor of personnel change.

Flamesfan13

Nov 6, 2006
Calgary AB
I am really happy about this. Matt is going to be a great leader throughout this rebuild process, and he's a guy who wants to be here. Good job burke.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
4 years is longer than I would have liked but the money is bang on. Not a bad deal at all.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Fan fav, term is a little long but only by 2 or 3 years. We need to keep some Vets around or we'll end up like the Oilers. You never go full Oilers...

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
yep and I think this is a case where Staj gave up dollars for term. On a 1 or 2 year deal I have no doubt he could have received 4-5 as a UFA.

Come on, let's not get crazy! I don't think Stajan has done anything in the past 4 years to justify a team paying him 4-5. He might have got 3.5 on the open market but probably not the term. Flames got a bit of a discount but not much. The best thing about this deal is that it's going to look a lot better in a couple years, as the cap goes up. When the kids are ready to replace him, we might even get a return. With his cap hit this year, I really don't think he would have generated much interest and he probably would have walked for nothing.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
4 years seems a bit long but, he's been nothing but a professional on and off the ice and seems really well liked.. Good for Ragin

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Stajan obviously took less money for my term, IMO it's 1 year too long but from all reports stajan loves it here and wants to be here and he is loved in the room and looked upon as a leader. Obviously stajan has done something good to impress Burke enough to give him a 4 year contract.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Come on, let's not get crazy! I don't think Stajan has done anything in the past 4 years to justify a team paying him 4-5. He might have got 3.5 on the open market but probably not the term. Flames got a bit of a discount but not much. The best thing about this deal is that it's going to look a lot better in a couple years, as the cap goes up. When the kids are ready to replace him, we might even get a return. With his cap hit this year, I really don't think he would have generated much interest and he probably would have walked for nothing.
This is a league that sees GMs give players like David Clarkson 7 years contracts with can hits over 5 million. Like it or not free agents get severely overpaid and it is only going to get worse with the free agent pool getting shallower every year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stajan obviously took less money for my term, IMO it's 1 year too long but from all reports stajan loves it here and wants to be here and he is loved in the room and looked upon as a leader. Obviously stajan has done something good to impress Burke enough to give him a 4 year contract.
Apparently Stajan and his wife have a baby due in the next couple months as well. Gives him some stability for his family too for a little while.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's a year or two too long but the cap hit is fine. I guess the security of the extra years was the only way Stajan would re-sign.

JulianHopper*

Matt Stajan Takes Discount And Re-signs With The Flames

I thought he would sign for $15M over 3 years but Matt Stajan took a bit of a discount in exchange for another year.

It's still a good contract and has hard to come by as decent centers are nowadays, it's a good deal for the Flames.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I thought he would sign for $15M over 3 years but Matt Stajan took a bit of a discount in exchange for another year.

It's still a good contract and has hard to come by as decent centers are nowadays, it's a good deal for the Flames.

Matt Stajan did not take a hometown discount. For a four year contract? He has been a Flame for the last 4 years. In which time he has scored TWENTY NINE GOALS. With a season high of EIGHT GOALS.

Hopefully we get get extensions for Cammy, Stempy, Russell, Butler and Berra etc. because the Flames are just sooooooo good. Sign them all. They are great for the kids. And they try so hard. Those Flames never quit.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I just hope this doesn't mean the end of Backlund, because I think he's been a lot better overall than Stajan this year, I just hope this doesn't mean Backlund is moved

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Matt Stajan did not take a hometown discount. For a four year contract? He has been a Flame for the last 4 years. In which time he has scored TWENTY NINE GOALS. With a season high of EIGHT GOALS.

That's only three fewer than Mark Giordano. In each category. Not every player on a hockey team is going to be relied upon for scoring goals.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

$5M is a lot of money for a player who has a career high 8 goals with the Flames.

There is no dream land where anyone pays him $5M per season.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Stajan does more for this team than the stats say. Those who are focusing on points only really don't understand what he brings to the team.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
That's only three fewer than Mark Giordano. In each category. Not every player on a hockey team is going to be relied upon for scoring goals.

Firstly, Stajan doesn't play defence.

Secondly, Stajan is not a particularly good face off guy, nor a shut down defensive forward.

The Flames committed $12.5M to a guy because (1) he's good in the locker room; and (2) he will play for Calgary.

THey have to hit the cap floor, Stajan was likely as good as they would get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad