News Article: Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
so saying he's made good moves (which he has) mean I want him around? come on man

the question was simple and I answered it....if he gets fired he'll deserve it but let's not pretend he didn't make good moves

Mac T also made some OK moves, do you also defend him too?

"Moves" is also very generous of a terming when literally he might have two actual decent moves, the absolute bare minimum for a plural wording. That's pretty freaking sad for 4 summers of work.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
yup, no point in arguing with you

you clearly think he's never made good moves
Chiarelli has made good moves but far too many bad moves and even his good moves are starting to have the sheen come off them.

If Talbot doesn't rebound this year it falls to an NHL backup with 4 games worth of experience.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
yes MacT made good moves too

And so what. No one gives a shit. The job requirement is not "making a good trade once every few years".

That's not what makes a good GM.

If the net result was just going to be "a precious little handful of small wins and a lot of bad moves to go with it" I'd rather have just kept Mac T.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Mac T got Perron and then got a lot more for Perron than we did for Maroon, so who gives a crap about Maroon. Every GM can point to 1 or 2 wins. That doesn't mean you're a good GM.

I'm not seeing many defending his actual overall record, but that doesn't mean his decent moves become automatically bad. Reality is the list of poor moves is much longer than the good moves, but one should remain objective about which ones were still good moves.

Maroon for Gernat and a 4th was good. We got a lot out of Maroon for 2 years out of that move. Maroon for a 3rd and Dudek wasn't so good, but that doesn't negate the value he gave while he was here, and ultimately Gernat and a 4th for Dudek and a 3rd is still decent even without the production we gained from Maroon in those two years. Furthermore, the Devils now have nothing to show for that 3rd and Dudek so I doubt they consider a great move by their GM either.

--edit to add.
Sorry this is moreso to @redgrant about Chia, replied to the wrong post.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not seeing many defending his actual overall record, but that doesn't mean his decent moves become automatically bad. Reality is the list of poor moves is much longer than the good moves, but one should remain objective about which ones were still good moves.

Maroon for Gernat and a 4th was good. We got a lot out of Maroon for 2 years out of that move. Maroon for a 3rd and Dudek wasn't so good, but that doesn't negate the value he gave while he was here, and ultimately Gernat and a 4th for Dudek and a 3rd is still decent even without the production we gained from Maroon in those two years. Furthermore, the Devils now have nothing to show for that 3rd and Dudek so I doubt they consider a great move either.

And when is Peter planning to make another one of these shrewd "small moves" that helps the team in an appreciable way?

Maroon was 2 1/2 years ago now, how long do we have to wait before he gets off his ass and actually helps this team that's clearly in need of help?

It won't happen because he has screwed his reputation with other GMs and now they all are trying to rip his stupid ass off when ever he calls any other GM.

He is a massive liability for this franchise. We'll never be taken seriously in a trade negotiation with anyone until he is gone.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
the initial question that started this all was "has Chia made good moves?"
it a really simple question

No he hasn't not a single trade. Talbot is literally the only questionable one which may pan out. Right now he's looking like a colossal flop.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No he hasn't not a single trade. Talbot is literally the only questionable one which may pan out. Right now he's looking like a colossal flop.

In a long term scope, yes you're right. If Talbot is not great this year, then we are still wandering the woods searching for a no.1 goalie on top of a half dozen other major issues this team has. So in that case, that trade ultimately addressed nothing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
And when is Peter planning to make another one of these shrewd "small moves" that helps the team in an appreciable way?

Maroon was 2 1/2 years ago now, how long do we have to wait before he gets off his ass and actually helps this team that's clearly in need of help?

It won't happen because he has screwed his reputation with other GMs and now they all are trying to rip his stupid ass off when ever he calls any other GM.

He is a massive liability for this franchise. We'll never be taken seriously in a trade negotiation with anyone until he is gone.

Hey I'm not disagreeing with this. I'm just saying that despite Chiarelli generally sucking at his job doesn't automatically make any of his decent moves bad.

I'm 100% with you that he hasn't done even close to enough and needs to find some more of these small wins. I'm just not moving the needle on his previous decent moves because of it.

I also must say. It is really sad that we are arguing over this. Reality is we can only find 3 trades that some people think were good. That's horrible over 4 years. This is further compounded that I think we can probably only find 2 or 3 good signings (first Russell contract was decent, Nurse bridge, and now I'm stumped)

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't be a good GM is your bad moves out weigh your good ones like by a fairly large margin.

It's like saying someone is debatably a good parent when they were abusive or absent 75% of the time, but one Christmas they bought a really nice gift.

No that's called being shit, there's not a "debate" that needs to be had.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You can't be a good GM is your bad moves out weigh your good ones like by a fairly large margin.

It's like saying someone is debatably a good parent when they were abusive or absent 75% of the time, but one Christmas they bought a really nice gift.

No that's called being ****, there's not a "debate" that needs to be had.

Well I think the abusive parent example isn't even close to the same thing, but you are right there isn't a reasonable debate that he's a decent GM because the bad outweigh the good and recently people have slowly moved to at least being somewhat happy when he doesn't outright screw up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The fact is really Chiarelli's entire GM tenure will be defined by the Hall trade, the Lucic signing, and the Reinhart deal.

Those are the three signature major moves where he had a chance to make "his stamp" on this team, and that will forever be his legacy here.

Those three bets he made needed to pay off, and welp you tell me if they have.

And also "well the trade was good ... for one year" isn't a good trade either. A good trade should benefit a team for multiple years.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Messier11

May 9, 2016
Well, if we look at our first 10 games:

EDM - NJD (Road, Sweden) L
EDM - BOS (Road) L
EDM - NYR (Road) W
EDM - WPG (Road)
BOS - EDM (Home)
NSH - EDM (Home)
PIT - EDM (Home)
WSH - EDM (Home)
EDM - NSH (Road)
EDM - CHI (Road)

Six road games and mostly playoff teams. That is a brutal start to the schedule. If you're hoping we are 2-3 above .500 after 20 games, we'd have to light it up in the next 10.

And funny thing is that Toronto, off to an an amazing start, has only played 1 playoff team in all of their games to present...Washington. And they beat them. But wonder how they would have fared if they played the same list of teams above? bArguably better than us, but I wonder by how much.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
And funny thing is that Toronto, off to an an amazing start, has only played 1 playoff team in all of their games to present...Washington. And they beat them. But wonder how they would have fared if they played the same list of teams above? bArguably better than us, but I wonder by how much.

We did not play very well against NYR so I suspect our record would not be much different than it is now if we had a "weaker" schedule. Toronto is playing like a NHL team where Edmonton looks uninspired and lost.

Reactions: Messier11

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
odd, I thought the Maroon trade was good...scored 27 goals for the team

same with the Kassian for Scrivens

Maroon is gone for a 3rd round pick. Thsts what were left with. We need nhl ready in game players so that's the net result. (dont worry I know you don't comprehend net results and look at eveything in a vaccum)

Kassians contract makes him a failure.

For example I'm sure you're a huge ty rattie fan. It doesn't make sense to have at 6 million/season. Lol again though he's not even worth his 900k

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
odd, I thought the Maroon trade was good...scored 27 goals for the team

same with the Kassian for Scrivens

Those were good trades at the time, but they're footnotes at this point. The only good deal that Chia has made that is still paying dividends is Talbot while his worst move continues to get prime time on the top 6 and PP1.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Maroon is gone for a 3rd round pick. Thsts what were left with. We need nhl ready in game players so that's the net result. (dont worry I know you don't comprehend net results and look at eveything in a vaccum)
those are the 2 different trades though...what don't you get about that?
it's perfectly reasonable to have one good trade and one bad trade of the same player you know

the trade to acquire him was a good trade...the decision to trade for for a 3rd rounder is a bad trade

it's not that hard

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The fact is really Chiarelli's entire GM tenure will be defined by the Hall trade, the Lucic signing, and the Reinhart deal.

Those are the three signature major moves where he had a chance to make "his stamp" on this team, and that will forever be his legacy here.

Those three bets he made needed to pay off, and welp you tell me if they have.

And also "well the trade was good ... for one year" isn't a good trade either. A good trade should benefit a team for multiple years.
Those bets don't need to pay off. This team just needs results. We win the cup and Lucic, Larsson and Reinhart don't play here doesn't mean he was a failure. I agree those will be moves that define him if he gets fired this year though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad