News Article: Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

“I honestly think guys - and they play tomorrow afternoon in New York - but I really do believe that one of the real tough places right now in the NHL is in Edmonton,” indicated Friedman.

“They’re 0-2. McDavid has looked great and done spectacular things in both games and they can’t sustain it.

“I just think the heat internally in that organization - I was just told this morning it’s a really tense place. I think everybody there is feeling it. I think that is clearly one of the - it’s going to be one of the hot areas in the league, and not in a good way. I think everybody there is really feeling the pressure.”

Friedman was asked if “it’s closer than it’s ever been” concerning head coach Todd McLellan being on the hot seat.

“I would just say this: I don’t there’s a person in that organization who feels secure,” noted Friedman. “Maybe Gretzky because, I mean, he’s Gretzky. But I don’t think there’s anybody in that organization who feels secure about what’s going on right now.

“So I wouldn’t say one guy, I would say it’s probably just about everybody.”

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I would keep the Gretzkys.

One because he seems to have a good eye for drafting.

The other because he got 2857 points.

Everyone else can:

giphy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That was the whole gamble this season no? That last year was in fact the "fluke" and things would auto-correct and Chiarelli would be proven a genius.

Well it isn't happening, and that seat is getting real hot for good reason.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

“I honestly think guys - and they play tomorrow afternoon in New York - but I really do believe that one of the real tough places right now in the NHL is in Edmonton,” indicated Friedman.

“They’re 0-2. McDavid has looked great and done spectacular things in both games and they can’t sustain it.

“I just think the heat internally in that organization - I was just told this morning it’s a really tense place. I think everybody there is feeling it. I think that is clearly one of the - it’s going to be one of the hot areas in the league, and not in a good way. I think everybody there is really feeling the pressure.”

Friedman was asked if “it’s closer than it’s ever been” concerning head coach Todd McLellan being on the hot seat.

“I would just say this: I don’t there’s a person in that organization who feels secure,” noted Friedman. “Maybe Gretzky because, I mean, he’s Gretzky. But I don’t think there’s anybody in that organization who feels secure about what’s going on right now.

“So I wouldn’t say one guy, I would say it’s probably just about everybody.”

Brilliant analysis. A monkey could figure this out.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is a pressure cooker right now. You can feel it. I don't think any other team in the league has as much pressure to win early as the Oilers do right now. Firing the coach might actually relieve some of the tension. I can't see McLellan surviving a below .500 first ten games.

Reactions: EagerPug

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Just wait until the team comes home and hasn't won a game yet...

The players will be walking in to one of the most hostile arenas they've ever laced them up in.... Think they won't break?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Just wait until the team comes home and hasn't won a game yet...

The players will be walking in to one of the most hostile arenas they've ever laced them up in.... Think they won't break?
This time the fans know who's to blame and nobody is going to voice their displeasure at the players. I don't think the players should be booed. Its not really their fault they are playing like its 1995.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Shrug. All talk just like every other year. As long as the owner lines his pockets and is buddies with the personnel changes will be minimal.

Until of course McLottery decides to skip town. I actually do think Katz is angry.

Peter and Todd are not Daryl's buddies, they should not assume they have the same rope.

Playoff revenue is also lucrative.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This time the fans know who's to blame and nobody is going to voice their displeasure at the players. I don't think the players should be booed. Its not really their fault they are playing like its 1995.

Except the fans can only really boo the players.. Nothing else they can do.

Reactions: Summary

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There’s so much work to do on this roster, it’s disheartening to think about it. Last year McLellan, during a stretch when the team was playing decent, said he felt they were starting to ‘inch up the mountain’. It infuriated me that here in the real world, most of the fans could see that the mountain was still off in the distance and the dizzying height of self satisfaction he was feeling was really just the team cresting a pile of camel scat on the trail toward the mountain.

Anyway who chooses to inch up the mountain when you have McDavid fall onto your roster? Its an idiotic plan. As much as I dislike the Leafs I gotta respect them for saying ‘cap concerns can wait till they arise, we are going to go for it while we can’. And the Leafs players among themselves probably believe they can take a run at SC by just out scoring everybody. That remains to be seen, but I bet nobody in the Oilers room ever seriously entertains that thought. If you can’t honestly see yourself competing for the prize, it’s the definition of organizational - top to bottom - failing.

It’s sad to see, but I hope Friedman etc keep highlighting the issue. It’s one of many benefits to having McDavid. Best player in the world means you can’t hide your incompetence anymore. Can’t just field softball questions from local stooges (Stauffer) like the Oilers have been able to get away with in the past.

Reactions: PulYou and Lrrr

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I hope they lose and the heads roll.

I used to be out of patience before we drafted McDavid, and I'm out of patience now too.

Chia had four years. We still suck. Let's go do a real interview process, get the best candidate and start making winning choices for f***s sake. Stop the damn bleeding we gave mcdavid for christ's sakes.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers might win tomorrow just because the Rangers really are that bad, which will release some pressure for about 2 days before the Jets punch us repeatedly in the face for 60 minutes.

Or the Oilers will Oiler and lose tomorrow in which case I don't even know what.

If the Oilers lose tomorrow they should just stay on a road trip, maybe in AHL or go back to Europe, might be more their speed..

I can't imagine a scenario where the Oilers can play with the Jets presently so even with a W tomorrow its looking like 1-3 at best.

Reactions: Aerchon

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
This is a pressure cooker right now. You can feel it. I don't think any other team in the league has as much pressure to win early as the Oilers do right now. Firing the coach might actually relieve some of the tension. I can't see McLellan surviving a below .500 first ten games.

Given the schedule and the start they've had I can't see a .500 or better record but if they're close to .500 he might survive until early November. I think if the team gets to 4 games under .500 before then that McLellan gets fired, or if the team comes back from their Eastern road trip at the beginning of November 3 games under .500 or worse that he will also be fired.

The team needs to be at least within 4 or 5 points of a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving to have a realistic shot at the playoffs, which probably means having at least 21 points by November 22nd. That's .500.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Coach firing relieves tension for around 2 weeks if its unsuccessful. But I look at the lineup and wonder how well this dog can hunt. Trouble is a coach firing isn't going to happen till November, I doubt it would, and by then we will likely be buried, again. Even a good coach and record after that probably won't be enough to earn a playoff spot.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I want TM fired as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but is it really going to change anything?

This team lacks a good coach, but it also lacks talent. There is only so much a coach can do. You do not win games, regardless of your coach, with one of the worst winger and d cores in the league, and sub par goaltending.

TM does some horribly stupid shit. But even with situations like overloading Benning with icetime and icing 5 LHS on the PP changing, is this team really winning?

Chia needs to be the one gone first, which I know won't happen. But he is the true problem. Unfortunately, unlike a coach that can cause a sudden shift of play and create results immediately, a GM shift takes years to see results.

Reactions: Psychoil

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Given the schedule and the start they've had I can't see a .500 or better record but if they're close to .500 he might survive until early November. I think if the team gets to 4 games under .500 before then that McLellan gets fired, or if the team comes back from their Eastern road trip at the beginning of November 3 games under .500 or worse that he will also be fired.

The team needs to be at least within 4 or 5 points of a playoff spot by American Thanksgiving to have a realistic shot at the playoffs, which probably means having at least 21 points by November 22nd. That's .500.
Given how rough the schedule is, I dont think most people would be too upset about a sub.500 start in the first ten. I think Lowetide was projecting 3 wins in first 11 for example. But if they lose to the Rags and look as awful as they have looked through the next 8 or 9 games? Whoo boy. Frankly I predict 1 win and 1 loser point in the first 10 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad