News Article: Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Those were good trades at the time, but they're footnotes at this point. The only good deal that Chia has made that is still paying dividends is Talbot while his worst move continues to get prime time on the top 6 and PP1.

Is the Talbot trade even paying dividends anymore? Dude has a .901 save percentage thus far, no where near good enough.

That trade was supposed to set us up in net, not just be good for one year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Is the Talbot trade even paying dividends anymore? Dude has a .901 save percentage thus far, no where near good enough.

That trade was supposed to set us up in net, not just be good for one year.

Yeah I was going to say the jury is still out on that, but I'm giving Cam the benefit of the doubt since he's got a crap team in front of him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exactly, people who keep hand waving away things like that, uh no, those things don't just go away because you ignore them. The consequences are felt to this very day.
So if Lucic and Larsson are gone and we win the cup, PC is a failure?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Maroon is gone for a 3rd round pick. Thsts what were left with. We need nhl ready in game players so that's the net result. (dont worry I know you don't comprehend net results and look at eveything in a vaccum)

Kassians contract makes him a failure.

For example I'm sure you're a huge ty rattie fan. It doesn't make sense to have at 6 million/season. Lol again though he's not even worth his 900k

Net results, okay. So look at the trades together.

Oilers gave up Gernat and a 4th round pick to get Maroon and got a 3rd round pick and Dudek when they traded him.

So the net result is Gernat and a 4th (Jack Kopacka) for Dudek and a 3rd (TBD).

Gernat is officially out of the NHL, Kopacka is in his rookie season for the Ducks. Dudek is in his senior year in the NCAA and the 3rd is in this years upcoming draft. With Gernat being officially out of the NHL the trades add up to Dudek and a 3rd for a 4th. I'd still say that is at least a marginal win without even considering what we got out of Maroon in his time here.

Even if you just looked at the second trade from the Devils side of things, they now have nothing to show for it other than some contributions to a single game victory in the playoffs for a 3rd rounder and Dudek. Not sure how that is a big win.

Chia sucks big time, but the Maroon series of trades isn't one of the examples that pushes one to that conclusion.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
those are the 2 different trades though...what don't you get about that?
it's perfectly reasonable to have one good trade and one bad trade of the same player you know

the trade to acquire him was a good trade...the decision to trade for for a 3rd rounder is a bad trade

it's not that hard
You said it's too early to tell. Now 15 minutes later it's a bad trade.

Maroon is not here so it's like it didn't happen at all.

Literally all you have to cling on to for dear life is that talbot doesn't suck again this year. If he does I hate to break it to you he's gone chairelli is fired and this is yet another trade that was a nothing burger.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So if Lucic and Larsson are gone and we win the cup, PC is a failure?

If they had basically kept things the same, I think they'd be in a position similar to the Leafs. Maybe not the greatest blue line, but they'd have a high end offence and be a easy 100 point team every season.

They made that gamble and its blown up in their face because now they have a team that can't score or defend well.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You're talking like a GM hasn't made bad moves, but still was able to put together team success.

Can you give an example? I can't think of anyone who has made blunders as big as the Reinhart and Hall trades and Lucic signing who won anything but a pink slip.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
That's how you guys are making it out to be. I said team success will override any bad moves the PC has done or will make.

It really depends on how the team wins that cup. I judge a GM both on team success and also how the GM alters that success. For instance, if we win a hypothetical cup based on McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, RNH all going god mod, then that's very easily no boon to Chiarelli. He's still clearly failed because he didn't have anything to do with bringing any of those players in.

If instead he manages to shore the depth with some amazing draft picks and developments to get us the cup, then yes, that buys him some credit despite his hilariously bad track record at trading and signing deals. So no, I don't think a cup win automatically overrides how terrible PC is. It didn't in Boston.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Bring in a Sutter

Ugh. Please no. I'd rather bring in Todd Nelson, or a AHL/Jrs Coach hotshot to give them a chance. They might flame out like Mike Johnston or, god forbid, Eakins, but they might be the next Sullivan or Cooper too. Sutter is more of the same type of coach as McLellan - outdated, obsessed with dump-ins and board work, and entirely unsuited to a McDavid team. The only difference is he'll probably scare them more than McLellan for a year.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
You're talking like a GM hasn't made bad moves, but still was able to put together team success.
Draisaitl, McDavid and a fluke year from Talbot got us in the playoffs. Teams were caught off guard. Chiarelli has very little to do with making the playoffs 2 years ago. Since then Draisaitl is catching no one off guard, Talbot has regressed back to an average to below average goaltender and McDavid is caught trying to do everything himself.

Meanwhile this bald fat pos, is bringing in guys like Strome, Brodziak, minor leaguers and castoffs to plug in holes that are of significant impact. Our defense has regressed tremendously since then, our Wingers are next to useless, The coach has coached the talent right out of Puljujarvi's stick, and Yamamoto is just trying not to make mistakes so McLellan doesnt sit him thus playing timid hockey.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
The issue is the few good moves he had he ruins.

Russel 1 year 3.1 mil was a great contract and helped our playoff year. Then re-signs him for 4 year 16 mil with a NMC.

Scrivens for Kassian. Get some value for a goalie who is retired. Then overpays Kassian so now hes a negative for the 4th line.

And its already been discussed but adding Maroon and then not being able to keep him.

Then you add the bad moves like the Reinhart trade, Hall trade, Lucic signing, Eberle trade etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad