News Article: Friedman: Everybody is feeling the heat of Oilers’ start

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Did you miss 82 games last year? Again I reiterate are you still clinging for dear life to talbot being a remenent of a good trade made by chairelli? Anything else you can literally name?

Remember years ago when it was cute to say Zach Kassian was a steal?

Zach Kassian wasn't a steal?
and how did he look against the Rangers the other day?

you asked for a good move and I provided it lol

another one is acquiring Patrick Maroon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lowe took over a team with Weight, Guerin, Smyth, Marchant, Grier, Hamrlik, Niniimaa and finished above .500 and a playoff team in 1999-2000

they were far from "short on talent"

they then subsequently only made the playoffs 3 times in the 8 years he was GM

They had Weight for a season and then had to trade him because they couldn't afford his salary. Ditto for Guerin.

Not so talented now, how would this team do if they had a $60 million internal budget?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lowe took over a team with Weight, Guerin, Smyth, Marchant, Grier, Hamrlik, Niniimaa and finished above .500 and a playoff team in 1999-2000

they were far from "short on talent"

they then subsequently only made the playoffs 3 times in the 8 years he was GM

He had Weight and Guerin for one season. Marchant? Grier? Come on, man

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They had Weight for a season and then had to trade him because they couldn't afford his salary. Ditto for Guerin.

Not so talented now, how would this team do if they had a $60 million internal budget?
and? doesn't change the fact he made the team worse...

and the whole "didn't have money" excuse doesn't fly when a low-budget team like the Senators were powerhouses pre-lockout....including a President's Cup in 2003

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yahoo Sports rips the Oilers franchise a new one for being a one line McDavid-only team:

31 Takes: An Oilers joke comes true

Over the summer, I linked to some article about how Connor McDavid worked harder than usual in training this summer because he felt he had to get better in a number of areas. The joke I made was the obvious one: When you’re basically the whole offense, only scoring 108 points in a season isn’t gonna cut it.

Sadly for the Oilers, through three games, Connor McDavid literally has been the entire offense.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
and how did he look against the Rangers the other day?

you asked for a good move and I provided it lol

another one is acquiring Patrick Maroon

Patrick maroon isn't here. The end result is a 3rd round pick. That is the end result. Can you cognitively process this?

Talbot was hot garbage in game one and 82 games last year. 1 game re rangers changes nothing. Hell brossoit won his first game as well this week with the jets.

It's utterly pathetic you have to claim wins as players we would like to have but cannot retain due to chairelli cap stupidity.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yahoo Sports rips the Oilers franchise a new one for being a one line McDavid-only team:

31 Takes: An Oilers joke comes true

Over the summer, I linked to some article about how Connor McDavid worked harder than usual in training this summer because he felt he had to get better in a number of areas. The joke I made was the obvious one: When you’re basically the whole offense, only scoring 108 points in a season isn’t gonna cut it.

Sadly for the Oilers, through three games, Connor McDavid literally has been the entire offense.

Not even mad

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
and? doesn't change the fact he made the team worse...

and the whole "didn't have money" excuse doesn't fly when a low-budget team like the Senators were powerhouses pre-lockout....including a President's Cup in 2003

So you're saying what exactly? Lowe traded Weight for fun and not because of actual budget issues the team had?

Senators had one good season, which budget Canadian teams were power houses for years in the 1996-2004 era?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Let's not reinvent history. Patrick Maroon was a great move regardless of how it ended and Chiarelli deserves the credit for that.

Does that undo all the damage? Of course not.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Patrick maroon isn't here. The end result is a 3rd round pick. That is the end result. Can you cognitively process this?

Talbot was hot garbage in game one and 82 games last year. 1 game re rangers changes nothing. Hell brossoit won his first game as well this week with the jets.

It's utterly pathetic you have to claim wins as players we would like to have but cannot retain due to chairelli cap stupidity.
you the f*** cares if he isn't here...
that's not the point

the point is name a good move the Chiarelli made and I named them

I can't make it any more clear

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Did you miss 82 games last year? Again I reiterate are you still clinging for dear life to talbot being a remenent of a good trade made by chairelli? Anything else you can literally name?

Remember years ago when it was cute to say Zach Kassian was a steal?

Zach Kassian wasn't a steal?

Not trying to defend Chiarelli's record as it's not defendable but those two trades are still decent trades.

The Cam Talbot trade is still decent. The team's getting more value out of him (even in his struggles) than what the picks given up for him have provided so far. Using the logic of last years performance to say it is bad, does that mean if he rebounds to at least his career average (which is decent), the trade becomes good again?

The Zach Kassian trade was good (what did Scrivens do afterwards?). The contract extension he got wasn't good. Separate the two items.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Mac T got Perron and then got a lot more for Perron than we did for Maroon, so who gives a crap about Maroon. Every GM can point to 1 or 2 wins. That doesn't mean you're a good GM.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
you the **** cares if he isn't here...
that's not the point

the point is name a good move the Chiarelli made and I named them

I can't make it any more clear

The point is its irrelevant. It's entirely negated as he was moved for a 3rd round pick. This year! Not even last year. Idiot was confused in his own press conference.

Ok let me ask you this. Was it a stupid move then to trade his "good move" maroon acquisition for a 3rd round pick this year?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
So you're saying what exactly? Lowe traded Weight for fun and not because of actual budget issues the team had?
I'm saying Lowe took a talented team and made them less talented...which meant less playoff years
disagree?

Senators had one good season, which budget Canadian teams were power houses for years in the 1996-2004 era?
one good season?

they won 40+ games 5 of 6 seasons before the lockout...on a budget

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Umm Talbot wasn’t garbage for 82 games last year, he started off he season with a shutout

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm saying Lowe took a talent team and made them less talented...which meant less playoff years
disagree?

what good season?

they won 40+ games 5 of 6 seasons before the lockout...on a budget

Not willingly, he did not make those trades willingly, they were forced on him because the Oilers lacked the money to sign those players.

And even so the late 90s Oilers were never that talented, they were huge underdogs and scrappy little teams working on 1/3 the payroll of their opponents.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Umm Talbot wasn’t garbage for 82 games last year, he started off he season with a shutout

Whats next .. He didn't play 82 games? Yes I'm using hyperbole but the way Chia defenders treat talbot as a conclusive win is hilarious.

At absolute best the jury is out on him. He was awful last year.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The point is its irrelevant. It's entirely negated as he was moved for a 3rd round pick. This year! Not even last year. Idiot was confused in his own press conference.
actually its very relevant, considering this is how the whole argument started

Ok let me ask you this. Was it a stupid move then to trade his "good move" maroon acquisition for a 3rd round pick this year?
too early to tell

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would keep the Gretzkys.

One because he seems to have a good eye for drafting.

The other because he got 2857 points.

Everyone else can:

giphy.gif

Well said.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
actually its very relevant, considering this is how the whole argument started

too early to tell

Just curious, will you be driving Peter to the airport when he's inevitably fired? Seeing as how there's only 3 people in Edmonton that still stand up for this guy, I figure it's got to be one of you 3.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Just curious, will you be driving Peter to the airport when he's inevitably fired? Seeing as how there's only 3 people in Edmonton that still stand up for this guy, I figure it's got to be one of you 3.
so saying he's made good moves (which he has) mean I want him around? come on man

the question was simple and I answered it....if he gets fired he'll deserve it but let's not pretend he didn't make good moves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad