Rumor: Friedman: Canucks have shown interest on Marcus Johansson and Andrei Burakovsky

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What's in a deal like that for the Canucks though? Seems out of phase both in terms of age and the potential contract. If I were the Canucks I'd wait a few years before signing a late 20s top 6 UFA to a big 5-7 year deal, unless I wanted to risk the same situation as the Oilers have now with Lucic, where half their Cup window is already closed.

You haven't been paying attention here, it's just the same deal as with Beagle and Roussel. I think at one point the initial reports were Beagle 3 years at $2.5M per, then some Benning magic happened and it ended up at 4x$3M.

If Benning is still running the team this summer, it's going to be year 2 of his 2 year with 3rd option year extension. For the miles of rope he's been given I think this time it will finally be his job on the line if he doesn't make the playoffs, and looking at the rumours today with some common sense, with the bottom six full they'll probably try to spend that temporary cap space on a top six player to play with our 3 stars. They'll probably try for the big fish but get no luck there, and be left over bidding on guys like Ferland or Johansson. It's just mathematics, the farther down the payroll you go the bigger impact you can make by being willing to overpay in years & length on a player, and a guy like Johansson is a perfect target for this.

Personally if it was up to me I'd have fired Benning out of a cannon yesterday and only spend if you can get a Karlsson or a Stone, but we're not running the show here.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Johansson is a free agent but only 28. He is definitely someone i can see us trading for and then re-signing.
He can play C or Wing.

Its been reported that NJD scouts went to all 3 recent California games the Canucks played.

Maybe its something like Gudrbanson Granlund for Johansson Woods.

Maybe they're begging us to take Schneider back.

Schneider (50% salary retained) and their first for Markstrom +. Would'ja? It would almost be funny squeezing another 1st out of them. Then use that first and our first to trade for first overall.

Two (assuming) top ten picks for Hughes. Again..... would'ja?

(Isn't GM'ing simple after a couple?)

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019

Schneider (50% salary retained) and their first for Markstrom +. Would'ja? It would almost be funny squeezing another 1st out of them. Then use that first and our first to trade for first overall.

The sentimental side of me would love to see Schneider back here, given another shot in the city that loved him so much. The rational side says it looks like after his injuries Cory is done as NHL goalie. So even at half price it's a waste of 3m of cap space until 2022. I think taking half of that contract alone is worth a top 10 pick.

Then, Markstrom looks like he's developing into a really good starting goalie. I wouldn't trade him right now, and if I did trade him, he alone would be worth at least a first round pick.

So I wouldn't trade Markstrom for Cory and a 1st. But I would trade 2 top 10 picks for Hughes.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
If they aren't taking roster players back for Johansson and burakovsky then we shouldn't be interested

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I would do it.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
If Devils will take Gudbranson off our hands I call this deadline a win. If by chance we can get Miles Woods for him I'd be ecstatic !! No idea why Benning would be in interested in Johansson unless he wants to see if there is any chemistry with him and EP or Horvat? As long as Benning doesn't move any picks and add any junk contracts go nuts Jim.

If that happens i would feel bad for you guys. Horvat is a solid 2nd center and Pettersson is turning into a future superstar first center. Horvat to my kowledge has no experience as a winger and moving Pettersson to RW at this point would be one of the worst moves in the teams history. Ignore Johansson!

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If that happens i would feel bad for you guys. Horvat is a solid 2nd center and Pettersson is turning into a future superstar first center. Horvat to my kowledge has no experience as a winger and moving Pettersson to RW at this point would be one of the worst moves in the teams history. Ignore Johansson!
Ya no way Johansson bumps either of those guys to wing I'd imagine he'd be moving to wing if by chance we got him.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Instead of Johannson, how bout Miles Wood? I could live with Burakovsky if we, say, as much as i like him, trade Goldobin for him. Johannson just doesn't make sense on so many levels, starting with the cost, which will be a 2nd rounder+.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
I would do a Goldobin for Burakovsky deal. It seems like a lateral move, but maybe a change of scenery will help both players out. I’d even do Goldobin for Puljujarvi, but Edmonton probably thinks he’s worth more than that at this point and I think they’re asking for too much in return for him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Interested in a 28 year old? So, about that rebuild...

It's funny they keep ramming their heads against this same wall. You'd think management would figure out they have an absolute terrible track record acquiring players with these profiles: mid-to-late 20s, fringe and/or depth NHL roster player, on the "outs" in another organization, ready to get paid, etc. Every time they do this the deal works out horribly. You'd think they'd stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad