Rumor: Friedman: Canucks have shown interest on Marcus Johansson and Andrei Burakovsky

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
31 Thoughts: Could a stealth suitor emerge for Matt Duchene? - Sportsnet.ca

"Marcus Johansson I’ve heard Columbus, Edmonton, San Jose and Vancouver as teams who have checked in. Possibly Washington, too, since they know him. The Canucks are the odd fit, but they looked at

Andre Burakovsky, So maybe they are thinking about something for the future or are trying to replace the injured
Sven Baertschi"

Sportsnet also reporting that 2nd line help for Bo Horvat is the Canucks #1 priority at this deadline or ufa in July along with changing the Dcore.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Johansson is a free agent but only 28. He is definitely someone i can see us trading for and then re-signing.
He can play C or Wing.

Its been reported that NJD scouts went to all 3 recent California games the Canucks played.

Maybe its something like Gudrbanson Granlund for Johansson Woods.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
NJD traded a 2nd and 3rd to acquire him, so I would expect that to be the floor to acquire him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
NJD traded a 2nd and 3rd to acquire him, so I would expect that to be the floor to acquire him.
How?

NJ traded for him before his concussion, when he was younger, and cost-controlled. The price should 100% be lower.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
If true, what is Jim's fascination with players who once who were thought to have offensive upside who have fizzled? Burakovsky is not exciting at all. This rumor just isn't going away.

Reactions: Canucks5551

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If true, what is Jim's fascination with players who once who were thought to have offensive upside who have fizzled? Burakovsky is not exciting at all. This rumor just isn't going away.

Affordability.

They are relegated to the bargain bin because ownership has outlawed trading draft picks with the draft in Vancouver, they won't trade any marquee young talent, and the rest of the roster is worthless.

If your marketable assets include guys like Goldobin, Granlund and Gudbranson you take what you can get.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How?

NJ traded for him before his concussion, when he was younger, and cost-controlled. The price should 100% be lower.

Deadline rental prices and there will be very few declared sellers. I think he gets a 2nd round pick for sure plus another mid round pick.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
Feels like I'm missing something, what would the Canucks want with a 28-year-old pending UFA like Johansson? He'll be looking for a contender that's willing to overpay him long term so they can compete right now, literally the opposite of what the Canucks need.
More to a player than just his age. Go to the devils board and see how he plays.....

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Deadline rental prices and there will be very few declared sellers. I think he gets a 2nd round pick for sure plus another mid round pick.

Didn't Benniong say that he's looking more for a "hockey trade"? So it's not likely to be a pick(s) for player type of deal.

member 290103

Yes. It’s very annoying. How many time are we going to go down the same road? I guess right up until Aqua pulls the plug.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If Devils will take Gudbranson off our hands I call this deadline a win. If by chance we can get Miles Woods for him I'd be ecstatic !! No idea why Benning would be in interested in Johansson unless he wants to see if there is any chemistry with him and EP or Horvat? As long as Benning doesn't move any picks and add any junk contracts go nuts Jim.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Zach Aston-Reese is coming off his ELC at the end of his season the Penguins are in quite a cap-crunch and I'm sure they'd rather prioritize resigning Pettersson. If he's available at a similar price to Sheary I'd jump on that, have to wonder if you could dangle them someone like Granlund or Motte. Probably the most adamant I feel about an offseason target. The fact that he is familiar with Gaudette is moreso a bonus than anything else.

Joonas Donskoi is going to be an under the radar free agent and I highly doubt that San Jose will be able to keep him. If you can get him at around 4.5x3 I think it's a worthy risk.

Bam. There's two better and more affordable targets than these two. Can probably think of more later. I have absolutely no problem shuffling the deck this offseason and attempting to improve the roster but we gotta be smart about it.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Johansson is a free agent but only 28. He is definitely someone i can see us trading for and then re-signing.
He can play C or Wing.

Its been reported that NJD scouts went to all 3 recent California games the Canucks played.

Maybe its something like Gudrbanson Granlund for Johansson Woods.
oh wow that would be unreal. And i'm not an advocate of MJo but lest be honest getting rid of 2 players that are terrible for a couple decent players would be a steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad