Rumor: Friedman: Canucks have shown interest on Marcus Johansson and Andrei Burakovsky

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I see the Blackhawks trading for Johansson. Schroeder for Johansson.

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Burakovski's only 24 but hasn't cracked 40 points so far and is trending down.

Johansson is 28 and hasn't been anything impressive since joining the Devils. He was 26 and coming off a 24 goal, 58 point season, having had three 45 point seasons previously when NJ traded for him. They could have thought he'd just taken that step, becoming a 60 point forward, or maybe that he was taking the next step to becoming more than that. Meanwhile Washington was selling high on him, as they may be doing now on Johansson.

As others have mentioned, NJ gave up mid/high picks to acquire Johansson so it's likely they'll be looking to salvage value on him, dumping him off as a rental on a less value-savy GM...

Either works as a replacement for Baertschi giving us another satisfactory 2nd line winger. Problem is what Benning has shown he gives up for marginal players. A 2nd for Gralund. A 2nd for Baertschi, before he developed into what he is now. Basically 2 first round picks for Gudbranson.

If Benning gives Pouliot or Gudbranson or any forward not on an ELC besides Bo Virtanen or Leivo then it's a win in my books. I only hope picks aren't thrown around.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Feels like I'm missing something, what would the Canucks want with a 28-year-old pending UFA like Johansson? He'll be looking for a contender that's willing to overpay him long term so they can compete right now, literally the opposite of what the Canucks need.

A contender isn't going to pay UFA market rate for a guy like Johansson. He's a much better candidate for letting his agent take advantage of a bottom team like the Canucks and cashing in. I'm just spitballing but if the choice is between a 3 year $10.5 million contract with a team like Nashville where you could win a Cup or a 5 year $25 million deal for a desperate losing team like the Canucks that's enough of a difference where you forget about winning the Cup, just take the money and run with it.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This just surface level rumour imo

Interested in = mentioned about him once in a business conversation

However, they might sign MoJo in the offseason in JB is still here

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They are still trying to use age gap solutions. Looking at younger forwards ready to contribute now! But of course given the assets they have that means reclamation projects.

Certainly showing how much they’ve learned these past few years aren’t they?

I’m totally confident they will be able to navigate the waters of substantial blueline and bottom 6 improvements and incoming cap situations. :help:

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
A contender isn't going to pay UFA market rate for a guy like Johansson. He's a much better candidate for letting his agent take advantage of a bottom team like the Canucks and cashing in. I'm just spitballing but if the choice is between a 3 year $10.5 million contract with a team like Nashville where you could win a Cup or a 5 year $25 million deal for a desperate losing team like the Canucks that's enough of a difference where you forget about winning the Cup, just take the money and run with it.

What's in a deal like that for the Canucks though? Seems out of phase both in terms of age and the potential contract. If I were the Canucks I'd wait a few years before signing a late 20s top 6 UFA to a big 5-7 year deal, unless I wanted to risk the same situation as the Oilers have now with Lucic, where half their Cup window is already closed.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I dont think this team needs more 2nd/3rd line tweener reclaimation projects at the expense of legitimate assets

if they can sign a legit top line / 2nd line winger for horvat, then thats great. But only if they're established.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I would be more trusting about acquiring these players but pro scouting has been an organizational weakness. I do not want us to move assets for these players unless its a roster player heading the other way.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Ok. Why? Johansson coming off an awful injury (concussions) riddled season. His career was in jeopardy just a year ago, after that big playoff run with the Caps. Burakovsky looks like an older Goldobin, to be frank. I don't watch a ton of hockey from either teams though.

Maybe the line of thinking is we need to bring players from other organizations who "knows what it takes to win" and other awful hockey related cliches I generally can't stand.

They should stay the course. Stop trying to think they're smarter than everyone else but taking other teams castoffs.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
They should just admit to themselves they lost out on Tkachuk... Stockpile as many picks as they can (to try and reduce the time out takes to build through the draft), and try again.

Targetting leftovers is wasting time, wasting assets and adding unnecessary years. If somebody wants Gudbranson or Sutter or Godoblin or Grandlund, or 3/4ths of the roster, take the futures.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If they are in on MoJo then they would have to be in on Hoffman, no?

Wasn't there a rumour about NJ offering Miles Wood for Gudbranson? Gudbranson for an expiring asset makes even more sense for NJ. The issue has been getting a Dman back, but maybe Benning can pry Santini from them by offering up Goldobin/Granlund? That resolves that issue and gives them time to negotiate with MoJo.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Johansson is a free agent but only 28. He is definitely someone i can see us trading for and then re-signing.
He can play C or Wing.

Its been reported that NJD scouts went to all 3 recent California games the Canucks played.

Maybe its something like Gudrbanson Granlund for Johansson Woods.

This premise makes sense based upon prior rumoured from NJ in Gudbranson. Further, Benning escapes criticism for dealing a locked asset for an expiring one by getting a cost-controlled added to the deal, like Wood or Santini.

VAN and NJ make for good trade partners even if Benning isn't buying with picks.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Johansson sounds like another Eriksson. I just realized Sutter has 6 whole points this year. I don’t care if he’s been injured, that’s absurdly low.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I wonder if Jimbo will ever be interested in players capable of putting up points.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would still be interested in Burakovsky. Rumor has them looking for a good 3rd liner but im sure they need some depth also.

Antoine Roussel with Luke Schenn maybe....of course Granlund and Goldobin would be ideal but i doubt they go for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad