Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed and good post. I'll add that keeping Poolman with the NHL team will go a long way in future decisions he makes. He signed with the Jets mere months before he could have signed with any team. No doubt those contract talks included opportunity discussions if he proved ready. Also let's not lose sight of the huge difference it is financially for Tucker. He has delayed turning pro to finish off his university career. Making $925,000 with $850,000 in potential bonuses is night and day different that pulling in $70,000 riding a bus. IMO if the organization believes he is part of the future they will prove it to him coming out of camp.

If it's a true rotation I don't mind keeping him, I just don't see Maurice operating like that. He has a hard time taking his vets or of the lineup, especially when they are good vets such as what would be the case here.

How do you think he will handle being in the press box for long periods? Is that the optimum option for his development. It's also not like the Jets have a very difficult schedule to start the year where resting players will be beneficial. They play Wednesday then have 3 days off before game 2. There really isn't a reason to rest anyone for the first month or so.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
ok lets start with:

- He is practicing with the big club with the guys that will be his long term teammates/partners. D is a partnership in every sense of the word. Knowing your partner's tendencies (and voice) is huge at this level.
- Being able to practice with Mason is also a fairly big deal when it comes to breakouts.
- He is getting instruction first hand versus having it coming through another coach's filter.
- It allows Myers and Enstrom to ease into the season, coming off significant injuries. Same goes for Poolman.
- It may even extend Enstom's and Myers' careers.
- It gives Poolman an opportunity to review game film and then watch from up top for 1 out of 3 games if he needs to make some adjustments which will likely be pretty minor.
- He is coming in from a Division 1 program known for developing NHL ready defenseman.
- He is 24 years old and his strength should not be an issue. UND has a fantastic weight training facility and program. That is one of the main advantages of Div 1 hockey vs CHL. You can actually develop your strength during the season vs having to wait for the off-season.
- Chairot will in all likelihood clear waivers with his $1.4M salary. I think Chevy did that on purpose.
- Chairot has not developed in the last year and a bit. His offensive zone work is terrible. I have yet to see him shoot between the dots. I don't even know if he can drag the puck to the middle without pressure. In addition, he is a bit of a tire fire in his own zone. Not as bad as some on here suggest but his work in his own zone is below par. Poolman already has more to offer at both ends of the ice.

I think he is in the starting lineup. I said the same thing about Morissey last year. Morrissey made it for different reasons but he was ready for the NHL and we know how that worked out.

Poolman is ready.

I am really surprised how good he is.
I agree he looks to be ready and he’s what 24 ? , would it be wise to wait until he is 25 or 26 ....
Hope his shoulders hold up , on very limited viewing he looks better than Chiarot....just sayin

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If it's a true rotation I don't mind keeping him, I just don't see Maurice operating like that. He has a hard time taking his vets or of the lineup, especially when they are good vets such as what would be the case here.

How do you think he will handle being in the press box for long periods? Is that the optimum option for his development. It's also not like the Jets have a very difficult schedule to start the year where resting players will be beneficial. They play Wednesday then have 3 days off before game 2. There really isn't a reason to rest anyone for the first month or so.
I don't think any of them will be in the pressbox long term. There is always bumps and bruises and Myers is already taking maintenance days. I just think they keep the kid up from day 1, he gets a few games and slides in as players go down. I just like the idea of having him with the team practicing and learning from day 1. Also not much of a Chiarot fan and can't see any team being interested in his $1.4 cap hit for this season and next.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We get a headline in this weeks version

31 Thoughts: What the Jets are doing to make the post-season

12. Anecdotal evidence from exhibition play: Laine is shooting the puck even harder. “Just exploding off his stick,” one opponent said. In 2015-16, Laine played a full Finnish League season, the world juniors and the world championships. After becoming a Jet, there was the World Cup, 73 NHL games and a concussion. The organization wanted him to make sure there was enough rest during the summer. “In his draft year, I think he flew over here four, five or six times,” GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said this week. “Even for an 18-year-old, (the last two years) were a lot. We just wanted him to come back feeling stronger.”
Many of his peers are changing their training, spending more time on the ice and less in the gym. Laine didn’t skate as much and added muscle. When he got back, he needed a slight adjustment because he hadn’t skated much with the extra strength. He spent time working on his release to get the timing

13. Before the summer, we had some notes about Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck doing some new off-season work. The GIF above has some insight into one of the techniques. Holding the giant rubber band is Adam Francilia, whose NHL client list includes Devan Dubnyk, Eddie Lack, Andrew Ladd and Tyler Myers. Francilia is standing on the bench. What are they doing? Helping Hellebuyck use his body “more efficiently,” Francilia said.
“The hip and pelvis, postural issues, goalie-specific core, down through the knees and ankles. We work on co-ordination of all that, so the body stays together and move better. I look for ‘hiccups,’ failures of movements. We want him to understand how to use his body better.”
How does the band help? While attached, when the goalie moves away from the bench in the butterfly or with a T-push, he’s in what Francilia calls the overload. “They have to push out more than they are used to. The further they get out, then you pull them back in. Remember when you were a kid running down a hill, and another kid pushed you? All of a sudden you have more speed than your body can handle. It forces your brain into overdrive, make your feet run faster than normal, increases stimulus. On-ice, we are trying to make his body move faster than it normally would be able to. (Hellebuyck) has to adapt and stay together.” That’s called “overspeed.” Even though the Jets signed Steve Mason, they will need Hellebuyck.

14. As for Myers, limited to 11 games due to injury, it was about “reprogramming and restructuring muscles around his surgery. There was lots of scar tissue, muscles not letting go, guarding the area operated on. When you are stroke rehabbing, say you can’t use your right arm. It’s not a matter of grabbing a dumbbell and doing 10 curls. You hold the dumbbell and retell your arm how to do a curl. You have to teach certain muscles that were dormant how to refire. You also have to reprogram your brain, teaching other muscles not to fire unless needed. It takes a hell of a long time. Tedious process.”
The neurological part of body doesn’t recover the same way as the physiological system. Should have paid attention in biology class.

15. Word is the Jets did a deep dive into analytics, trying to get greater understanding of what kinds of statistics correlate to winning on a regular basis. “I wouldn’t say that means we didn’t look at analytics before,” Cheveldayoff said. “But when you miss the playoffs, you take a good hard look at everything. You’re asking, ‘How much does (a certain stat) matter?’”What did you learn? “I’m not going to tell you that,” he laughed. “That’s why we do it.”

16. Okay, let’s try a different one: What did one of the NHL’s most penalized teams learn from an in-house visit by retired referee Paul Devorski? “The one-on-one interaction was great. Having him telling you that if your stick goes to a certain place, his eyes are attracted to it.”

17. Finally on Winnipeg, one coach pointed to Bryan Little’s health as an underemphasized piece of the Jets’ puzzle. He got hurt in their opener last season and missed six weeks. When he came back, the team was dead last in faceoffs (44.4 per cent to Chicago’s 47.9). From that day on, they were 13th (50.2). Little himself finished 55.6. And, the new rules should not affect the way he wins them.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
So what part of the analytics deep dive told Chevy to give Maurice below replacement level players that you just knew he wouldn't be able to help himself from using...

This is what is so contradicting. Chevy says something like that, only to sign Hendricks (likely use him on the 4th line + PK is what it sounds like..) and then there is Tanev. Especially given our PK was such crap and Maurice and Chevy have stated themselves it has to improve.

It. Doesn't. Make. Sense.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is what is so contradicting. Chevy says something like that, only to sign Hendricks (likely use him on the 4th line + PK is what it sounds like..) and then there is Tanev. Especially given our PK was such crap and Maurice and Chevy have stated themselves it has to improve.

It. Doesn't. Make. Sense.

I believe Chevy stated yesterday that Maurice wanted that vet PK center like Hendricks so went out and got it for him. Tanev is mind boggling though.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
So what part of the analytics deep dive told Chevy to give Maurice below replacement level players that you just knew he wouldn't be able to help himself from using...
was thinking the same thing..

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I believe Chevy stated yesterday that Maurice wanted that vet PK center like Hendricks so went out and got it for him. Tanev is mind boggling though.

I could live with one on the roster/in the line-up.. but if both are in the line-up I'm gonna laugh. Like I said yesterday, it is pretty clear what is at stake here now for this team as far as expectations go. Our weaknesses as a team from last year have been identified and announced by GM and Coach (Maurice just spoke of them again on TSN last night - PK, goaltending, 5on5, discipline). So if he wants to be the guy to trot out the likes of Hendricks, Tanev, etc... be my guest. When it fails, it's on Maurice and I'll be the guy sitting here laughing about it because so many here have been screaming "I told ya so".

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So this is what happens when I try to post the URL. The site automatically embeds the first video on the webpage. Is there any way to post the URL link?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Chevy and Mo doing analytics is like monkeys encountering the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

H3l64Tf.jpg

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Interesting tidbit from Montour about Jets interest in him during his draft year in Friedman's latest:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-rangers-roster-decisions-huge-impact-nhl/

28. Montour has told the story about how a Ducks scout made eye contact with him a few picks before he was taken 55th overall in 2014, giving him the thumbs up to know his selection was coming. Did he know it would be Anaheim?
“I’d talked to them a couple of times. There were a handful of teams that seemed interested. I thought there was a good chance Winnipeg would take me. I talked to them a lot. Toronto and Chicago, too.”
I’ve been told Anaheim knew the other interest and wasn’t risking his availability any longer. Looks like a great decision.

Montour was drafted in the 2nd round at #55th overall in 2014 draft. Jets did not have a 2nd round pick in that draft as they traded it for Setogucci :( . If the Jets hadn't traded that pick, they would have had the 39th overall pick and based on their interest in him could possibly have drafted Montour :cry:.

Atleast it gives me high hopes for the US based d-men they drafted last draft. Whoever is scouting the US leagues for the Jets seems to have a keen eye for talent.

Reactions: ps241

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Interesting tidbit from Montour about Jets interest in him during his draft year in Friedman's latest:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-rangers-roster-decisions-huge-impact-nhl/

Montour was drafted in the 2nd round at #55th overall in 2014 draft. Jets did not have a 2nd round pick in that draft as they traded it for Setogucci :( . If the Jets hadn't traded that pick, they would have had the 39th overall pick and based on their interest in him could possibly have drafted Montour :cry:.

Atleast it gives me high hopes for the US based d-men they drafted last draft. Whoever is scouting the US leagues for the Jets seems to have a keen eye for talent.

One of those US scouts is Max Giese, who used to be a semi-regular poster here on HF (mostly on the Sharks board, IIRC).

Likely still extracting wisdom from the great hockey minds here at HF. ;)

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Or they might have traded up to 31 to get Lemieux, which Cheveldayoff said he tried to do even without 39th overall.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One of those US scouts is Max Giese, who used to be a semi-regular poster here on HF (mostly on the Sharks board, IIRC).

Likely still extracting wisdom from the great hockey minds here at HF. ;)

His twitter feed is interesting. Retweeting an article about people getting fooled by the eyetest when it comes to D-men like Marincin. Retweeting a speech by John Chayka. Seems like one of the non-dinosaurs in the Jets org

Or they might have traded up to 31 to get Lemieux, which Cheveldayoff said he tried to do even without 39th overall.

And here I was trying to be positive :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Lemieux, Barbashev, Montour and Dvorak are the only 2nd round picks from 2014 that are currently playing in the NHL.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Lemieux, Barbashev, Montour and Dvorak are the only 2nd round picks from 2014 that are currently playing in the NHL.
The 2015 second round class has already surpassed that. It's quite surprising, actually.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
New 31 thoughts

22. Watch Mark Scheifele, entering Tuesday’s games seventh in scoring with 18 points. A major step he’s taking: turning his head to survey the play before he gets the puck. That anticipation separates the good from the great.

Reactions: DRC

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

New 31 Thoughts Kyle Connor edition

Kyle Connor credits his father, Joe, with a lot of his growth. Joe coached his son throughout minor hockey. But a conversation last season with Winnipeg captain Blake Wheeler really got him pointed in the right direction. Coming off a spectacular freshman season at NCAA Michigan, the 2015 first-rounder made the Jets at the start of the year.
“After about the first 10 games or so, I thought I should be playing more and had a bad attitude,” Connor said Tuesday. “Wheeler pulled me aside and said, ‘You think you’ve proved yourself? I’ve been in the league nine years and I still have to prove myself every day.’ I appreciated that.”
He lasted 19 games before being sent to AHL Manitoba, where another challenge awaited.
“I was pretty pissed off, mad at myself for not performing the way I could. [Moose coach] Pascal Vincent showed me how it was all about the mindset.”
Connor finished strong with 25 goals in 52 AHL games, getting a one-game NHL callback. He scored against Nashville.

17. Connor didn’t start this year in the NHL, but he felt better about himself. It showed with five points in four Manitoba games. He’s back with the Jets, and impressively on the first line with Wheeler and Mark Scheifele. One of the biggest improvements is his play along the boards.
“Yes, I agree with that, especially in the offensive zone, staying on the puck. I learned you don’t have to ‘blow up’ the guy on the puck. Create battles. There’s a skill to it, too. I want to do it right because I’m excited to play with those guys. We play the same game, with a ton of speed and creativity.”
Winnipeg is a big “hockey sense” team. They chase it and value it in draft targets. So who is smarter, Connor or Scheifele? He laughs and pauses: “He’s a hell of a player.”

18. Last one for him: So how does a Wolverine feel when he turns on his television last weekend and sees Ohio State 35, Michigan State 0? Are you happy the Spartans are losing or mad the Buckeyes are winning? “Ugh, Ohio State…. Yeah I wanted MSU in that game.”

22. The NHL seemed pretty happy with the two Sweden games — ticket sales were strong — so attention turns to next season. The strong Swedish content, featuring captains Erik Karlsson and Gabriel Landeskog, worked, so expect the NHL to stick with this formula. Do not be surprised if Finland gets a visit. That screams Minnesota, with captain Mikko Koivu, and another team with a Finnish star. Boston? Nashville? Winnipeg?

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
WPG is the obvious choice...Laine is Finalands golden boy now and combine that with Armia, Niku, and maybe even Vesalainen and that sounds like a sell out to me no matter who the opponent is!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Connor's attitude was a problem last year, nothing about his game screams that now. He works his ass off in every shift, especially without the puck.

As for the possibility of a NHL match being played in Finland, I played with that thought a while ago. A game between the Panthers and the Jets would make a lot of sense - Barkov and Laine would sell a lot of tickets. They might want to go with Koivu due to his captaincy, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00