Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
philly wouldn't give us a nickel for price until they see how Hart turns out

philly is tired of trading for goalies who end up doing nothing for them.....price would end up being the same.....they got smart and finally drafted one

Philly should have tried to get actual good goalies instead of stop gaps. The one that would have been perfect for them, they traded away.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How does Friedman know this? What insider leaked this story? Or did the Habs leak this them selfs wondering how the reaction would be by fans on social media? I just find it bizarre that Friedman would be that connected to knowing this.

Also, Maybe Weber/Price has already spoke to Tavares at playing in Montreal and he told them already he was not coming. If I was our GM, I'd be asking them behind the scenes to make this inquiry and good luck proving it. In this case, the Habs might already know that we are not getting Tavares 100% and can start the process to entertaining trades for our rebuild and to leak this story through the media.

If this is true... It might be more than just Patch traded in this draft. Weber/Price/Petry/Byron might also be on the move.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wasn't Roy on the block before the 9 goal game anyways? If the 9 goal game never happened to people think Roy would not have been traded?

Were the Molsons being cheap once again trying to trade Roy? I remember hearing rumors about Detroit even before the 9 goal game.

It seems like Trembly was pouring gasoline on a raging fire. It just seems like after 93 Molson was bent on destroying the team and thats why eventually that team was dismantled. Just IMO.
We got ripped off on Roy just like Boston got ripped off on Thornton. That trade wasn't reflective of Roy's value, it was reflective of mgmt's incompetence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We got ripped off on Roy just like Boston got ripped off on Thornton. That trade wasn't reflective of Roy's value, it was reflective of mgmt's incompetence.

It's always bad business when you put people on the trade block and advertise it. You end up liquidating your asset for a cheaper return than you want more often than not and set a time line of pressure to make the deal before distractions on your team take over. That's why if we are truly re-building, you do it with patience. Trade one asset at a time and wait for circumstance to play into your favor. We should not be in any rush to trade either Weber or Price.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's always bad business when you put people on the trade block and advertise it. You end up liquidating your asset for a cheaper return than you want more often than not and set a time line of pressure to make the deal before distractions on your team take over. That's why if we are truly re-building, you do it with patience. Trade one asset at a time and wait for circumstance to play into your favor. We should not be in any rush to trade either Weber or Price.
There's not a hurry to trade either player but both should be dealt. The best thing would be to do it before the draft if possible but only if it makes sense. If not, we can be opportunistic about it. One side benefit to MB's incompetence is that we have tons of cap space and that makes it a lot easier to move players because we can take bad contracts back.

Lucic would be a good example. 6 mil over the next 5 years. Oilers could use either Price or Weber... if they pony up picks/prospects then sure take Lucic back to make the cap work. He's overpaid but who cares if we're rebuilding for the next three to five years anyway.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...

Apparently heard on a podcast from today.

If true, this is obviously the way we need to go. So THAT is good news. The fact that it’s Marc Bergevin and the country club calling the shots..well, that’s incredibly frightening for this Habs fan..

If we’re TRULY rebuilding, we need to start by rebuilding the management personnel first..

If that is true, it seems that Molson told to Bergevin what to do next. Mass exodus of Bergevin’s pals confirms this conclusion too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's not a hurry to trade either player but both should be dealt. The best thing would be to do it before the draft if possible but only if it makes sense. If not, we can be opportunistic about it. One side benefit to MB's incompetence is that we have tons of cap space and that makes it a lot easier to move players because we can take bad contracts back.

Agreed. But I would not sell them like the Leafs did with Kessel and captain Pylon. They gave them away pretty much so they could be a bad team right away. We can be both... a bad team still with Price and Weber. So I would not be in any rush and Weber is the 1st guy I would move cause he is older and I think he gets us more value. I'd be willing to retain $1.5M max. With Price, we need the cap space to rise a bit so other teams sign goalies to contracts north of $7 or $8M. Then we can retain another $1.5M on Price and it's comparable to other top goalies in the league.... this will take another 2 years ish. Price negotiated his contract and demanded the NMC. That is his problem, not ours. If he is not happy, I keep playing him while we go through our tank years and he likely opens up the trade list of teams for us to negotiate with.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not arguing if Price has value. I'm arguing what his value is.

Price is one of the best(some might say the best) at his position, correct?

If you want Crosby(same age), Tavares, Stamkos or whoever...you may a fortune if they're signed long term.

You want Price? Well...it's a lot less.

Goalies aren't as expensive.

Sure some guys go for more...but they aren't 31 and paid 10.5 mil either.
Price would not be making 10.5 Montreal would be taking money back if they are rebuilding to get better prospects in the deal.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

A cheap owner that sold off most of the cup winning team and then sold the team itself to an American.

Follow the money. I don't have a problem saying inexperienced ex habs with no GM/Coach job before are probably cheaper than guys with long list of qualifications.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A cheap owner that sold off most of the cup winning team and then sold the team itself to an American.

Follow the money. I don't have a problem saying inexperienced ex habs with no GM/Coach job before are probably cheaper than guys with long list of qualifications.
Slice it up any way you want. It was a moronic trade. We didn't even get a first rounder out of it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price would not be making 10.5 Montreal would be taking money back if they are rebuilding to get better prospects in the deal.
And that's what rebuilding teams should do. Deal vets for prospects and take back bad contracts (or eat part of the contracts traded) to make the deals work. The teams you're trading with want those vets so they can win now. And that's greatly helped by helping to remove the cap burden when they go.

Reactions: Peanut

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Slice it up any way you want. It was a moronic trade. We didn't even get a first rounder out of it.

Well 1st rounders didn't have the same value back then.

I think the deal actually wasn't that bad in context. A good young goalie and 2 young forwards who looked like they could add scoring punch to the team. Of course trading a HOF goalie you are never going to get value back. Ruckinsky had 60 pts in 56 games after the trade and the following year had 28 goals. Kovalenko had 17 goals and 34 points in 51 games and the following year scored 32 goals.

Thibault never lived up to his hype, Rucinsky fell off and Kovalenko wound up in EDM after the trade. Throwing in Keane also hurt. If you are forced to trade a player like Roy getting back 2 young offensive studs and a young goalie is an ideal return. Problem is none of those players could ever touch Roy's jock, and Roy went on to help COL win a few cups while the habs went into the dark ages.

But original point is to me it seemed like Molson was intent on tearing the team apart and Roy was the last piece. So even with no Trembly or Houle, Roy would of been dealt at some point.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
If that is true, it seems that Molson told to Bergevin what to do next. Mass exodus of Bergevin’s pals confirms this conclusion too.
Mass exodus? There's been a total of 2, and one of them was a promotion into the ressurected Atlanta Thrashers country club.

So really only one guy was forced out and that was the AHL coach.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
What are u taking about you take back 2 million or 3 million per year and Price's value just goes up.

You realize it’s an 8 year contract right?

Retaining 3 mil for 8 years is 24 million.

I know it sounds nice in theory but who is throwing away 24 million dollars just to improve value?

That is crazy. 24 million!!!

If I’m molson I’d rather trade him for free than lose that absurd amount of money. You guys act like it’s nothing.

Teams usually retain on shorter terms.

The longest and biggest retention I could think of was kessel who is 1.2 for 6 years. 7.2 total...afar cry from the numbers you’re suggesting.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
How does Friedman know this? What insider leaked this story? Or did the Habs leak this them selfs wondering how the reaction would be by fans on social media? I just find it bizarre that Friedman would be that connected to knowing this.

Also, Maybe Weber/Price has already spoke to Tavares at playing in Montreal and he told them already he was not coming. If I was our GM, I'd be asking them behind the scenes to make this inquiry and good luck proving it. In this case, the Habs might already know that we are not getting Tavares 100% and can start the process to entertaining trades for our rebuild and to leak this story through the media.

If this is true... It might be more than just Patch traded in this draft. Weber/Price/Petry/Byron might also be on the move.

You can say what you want about Friedman, but he stays well informed, super connected

WG

Sep 9, 2008
You got a tin ear, Whitesnake. You heard what you want to hear. Yes, Mario admitted it was a mistake. But if Tremblay had pulled Roy at five goals like he said in the interview Roy would have found another childish excuse to get out of Montreal. Personally, I don't think Tremblay made a mistake and the rest of that interview proves my point.

Did you hear Mario saying that Patrick laughed at Mario's English his first time as coach in the dressing room. If I were in Mario's shoes, I would have punched him out, star or no star. Or at the very least called him out in front of the other players. Mario was a better man than I would have been in that situation. Point #1.

Point#5. I don't think you saw Tremblay play. I did. From his first day as a Hab. I have time for Mario.

Funny, I had heard the story other way around, that it was Tremblay who came in and made fun of Roy's speaking. I couldn't find a link re. the story either way, though.

Nonetheless, given his part in the Roy fiasco (hoever much you wish to ascribe to him), and some of his more recent efforts (DUI/Subban; Galch/rehab) I'll reiterate my thought that there isn't a mine shaft deep enough that we shouldn't want to throw Mario Tremblay into it.

And I'm old enough to remember those teams. I have told Yvon Lambert in person that he answered a ten-year-old's prayers with that Game 7 OT winner vs. Boston. Risebrough, Jarvis, and of course Gainey, these were all vital role players on those Cup teams. But Mario's post playing career shows him to be a spiteful and entitled douche bag and it dismays me that our version of Mike Milbury gets a regular platform on TV. Has nothing to do with Roy who isn't exactly draped in glory as a human being either.

Reactions: Pickles

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Funny, I had heard the story other way around, that it was Tremblay who came in and made fun of Roy's speaking. I couldn't find a link re. the story either way, though.

Nonetheless, given his part in the Roy fiasco (hoever much you wish to ascribe to him), and some of his more recent efforts (DUI/Subban; Galch/rehab) I'll reiterate my thought that there isn't a mine shaft deep enough that we shouldn't want to throw Mario Tremblay into it.

And I'm old enough to remember those teams. I have told Yvon Lambert in person that he answered a ten-year-old's prayers with that Game 7 OT winner vs. Boston. Risebrough, Jarvis, and of course Gainey, these were all vital role players on those Cup teams. But Mario's post playing career shows him to be a spiteful and entitled *****e bag and it dismays me that our version of Mike Milbury gets a regular platform on TV. Has nothing to do with Roy who isn't exactly draped in glory as a human being either.

The Mike Milbury version of Mike Milbury gets a regular platform on TV too. When it comes to sports, people seem to like outspoken idiots that used to be involved in the game. I don't get it, but its not limited to hockey.

Reactions: Pickles and Peanut

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

And I'm old enough to remember those teams. I have told Yvon Lambert in person that he answered a ten-year-old's prayers with that Game 7 OT winner vs. Boston. Risebrough, Jarvis, and of course Gainey, these were all vital role players on those Cup teams. But Mario's post playing career shows him to be a spiteful and entitled *****e bag and it dismays me that our version of Mike Milbury gets a regular platform on TV. Has nothing to do with Roy who isn't exactly draped in glory as a human being either.

You must obviously be thinking of another Mario. This Mario had .5 ppg in 101 playoff games. There were posters here who were defending our present captain with the same ppg in 38 games. Calling those numbers stellar. And Mario played tough minutes against the other team's hard nose players and with hardly any PP minutes.

But we'll just agree to disagree.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
You must obviously be thinking of another Mario. This Mario had .5 ppg in 101 playoff games. There were posters here who were defending our present captain with the same ppg in 38 games. Calling those numbers stellar. And Mario played tough minutes against the other team's hard nose players and with hardly any PP minutes.

But we'll just agree to disagree.
I didn't mean his post season career. I meant what he has done since retiring as a player.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
no offense to beer selling, but they entrusted selling the club most valuable asset , to a man whos experience was limited to selling beer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad