Rumor: Friedman: “Habs management has been told to rebuild and stock up on picks and prospects.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah, but pretty sure he got plenty of satisfaction sticking it to the larger than life egomaniac that Roy was. Roy used Tremblay as the scapegoat to go join his ex-agent in COL.

IMO, Jacques Demers' treatment of Roy as the second coming got t0 the G and he started believing the hype.

I recall this being mentioned around the time of the trade that Roy and Demers would pre-plan all of Roy’s starts to maximize his effectiveness. I think in 2018, this is no big deal and actually something expected now to properly pace starters, but back then, I think this was unprecedented. My point is Demers did what he could to make his star player happy.

I know Tremblay kind of came in with the attitude that we’re all equals and there are no stars type of thing. I can see this rubbing Roy the wrong way, especially since he’s stubborn and hot-headed himself. However, taking headshots during practice and clearly trying to put Roy in his place I think really sealed the deal.

On the 20th anniversary, a look back at the night that sealed Patrick Roy’s fate in Montreal | The Hockey News

I mean, I don’t think players should be allowed to run the team and do whatever they want and feel like, but at the same time, you need to treat your stars right. End of the day both sides were at fault, but in terms of what came out publicly, I’m siding with Roy. You can’t dummy your stars in public like that. It obviously didn’t work then, and it still won’t work now.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't know where you've worked but when I used to work for other people if I tried to humiliate the boss in front of other employees I would be out on my ass. Why don't you try a little experiment at your job (if you're not self-employed). Try doing to your boss what Roy did to Tremblay and lets see if it happens everywhere in all fields of work.
Well first, I don't view the coach as the boss. The GM-Owner, they're the boss.
The coach isn't the one selecting players, he's not the one that negotiates contracts, he's not the one in charge of making trades, etc.
In most cases, the coach is not even above your star players. So, it's not really the same as your typical job.
But sure, I can easily relate this to my current job. I work in Hong Kong, colleagues who are below my pay grade poke fun at my accent on the regular. They laugh when I try to speak cantonese. Oh my god...let me punch them in the face and tell the owner to fire them...:facepalm:

"Try to humiliate" is also very subjective and open to interpretation. You think it's humiliation, I think it's harmless fun.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
One example of Roy's need to control. Jacques Demers has said in quite a few interviews he would discuss the schedule with Roy and Saint Patrick would pick which team he wanted to face.
Euh....ya?..I don't get it. Is this supposed to be a bad thing?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
One example of Roy's need to control. Jacques Demers has said in quite a few interviews he would discuss the schedule with Roy and Saint Patrick would pick which team he wanted to face.

Which team? You mean there are certain teams that Roy never wanted to face? See, we hear also how Price also dictates his schedule too.

Anyway, yeah Roy has a huge ego. Nobody ever said the opposite. But to pretend like Tremblay doesn't, and to say that he's not fault, this where a line needs to be drawn here. Makes no sense whatsoever.

You say how Tremblay being chosen to be Lemaire's assistant proves how great Tremblay is.....have you heard Tremblay speak at L'Antichambre? Tell me this is a guy you have in mind for an assistant-job in the league.

Even the best of them wll choose to work with friends. We crap on Bergevin. He deserves it. But he's not the only one who goes with friends ahead of wisdom.

Last edited:

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
the time for a rebuild was LAST SUMMER....not this summer.....once again MB missed the boat

a rebuild should have STARTED by TRADING PRICE!

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Which team? You mean there are certain teams that Roy never wanted to face? See, we hear also how Price also dictates his schedule too.

Anyway, yeah Roy has a huge ego. Nobody ever said the opposite. But to pretend like Tremblay doesn't, and to say that he's not fault, this where a line needs to be drawn here. Makes no sense whatsoever.

You say how Tremblay being chosen to be Lemaire's assistant proves how great Tremblay is.....have you heard Tremblay speak at L'Antichambre? Tell me this is a guy you have in mind for an assistant-job in the league.

Even the best of them wll choose to work with friends. We crap on Bergevin. He deserves it. But he's not the only one who goes with friends ahead of wisdom.

The story about the scheduling of teams with Demers was something I heard also. Not a big deal now since this surely happens all the time, but back in the 90s, I guess the assumption was the starter plays until he needs a break and takes on all teams.

Like I already said, Roy has an ego and probably doesn't have a good handle on conflict resolution, but neither does Tremblay. Boggles the mind when people heap all this on Roy. Sure, Roy didn't help matters, but his hand was forced in this.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
the time for a rebuild was LAST SUMMER....not this summer.....once again MB missed the boat

a rebuild should have STARTED by TRADING PRICE!

I don't think Price has the value people want. He either had 1 year left or he's got a big contract, neither are great. Not to mention, goalies rarely get a lot of return.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The story about the scheduling of teams with Demers was something I heard also. Not a big deal now since this surely happens all the time, but back in the 90s, I guess the assumption was the starter plays until he needs a break and takes on all teams.

Like I already said, Roy has an ego and probably doesn't have a good handle on conflict resolution, but neither does Tremblay. Boggles the mind when people heap all this on Roy. Sure, Roy didn't help matters, but his hand was forced in this.

In the end, people harping this solely on Roy are doing it for other things. And to Habs Icing credit, he does't hide that he does have a personal bias against him. I totally disagree with him on the subject....but at least compared to others, he's not hiding.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
How old are you to say such nonsense? Did you watch Tremblay play? He was on 5 Stanley Cup winning teams and he wasn't riding on anyone's coattails.
Watched every one of those Cups and he was an afterthought for the most part, can't believe you think he was a big part of those 5 Cups and regardless, you can be a good player and still be an a-hole as a person and a coach

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Price has the value people want. He either had 1 year left or he's got a big contract, neither are great. Not to mention, goalies rarely get a lot of return.
Price is worth a lot he is only 31 and a proven MVP and the money is a non issue if you trade Price that means you are rebuilding and would be taking money back,and goalies not even close to as good as Price have all gotten 1 st round draft picks back like.....Schneider,Andersson,Jones.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Tremblay didn't cost Roy. Roy cost us Roy. It has been reported many times Roy wanted out of Montreal and not because of Tremblay. Saint Patrick brought the explosives, the fuse and the matches. He looked at Tremblay and asked him to light his cigarette. All you can blame Tremblay for is being too dumb not distinguish a fuse from a cigarette.

Err...Tremblay left Roy in goal for NINE goals. Was it because they didn't have a back up goalie? No... was the backup hurt? No. So was it because Roy wanted to stay in? No. Tremblay left one of the top NHL (if not the top) goalie, star goalie, franchise goalie in net on purpose for NINE goals to 'teach' Roy a lesson. And you think Tremblay had no hand in this at all and this is ALL on Roy?

Look, I understand you have no respect for Roy and you dislike (being generous) him. Yes, as a player, Roy is probably my fav but I do admit that I would probably hate him in real life, but still, taking emotions out of this, just looking at the facts, saying this is all on Roy, well, I think your feelings are clouding your judgement. I'm not saying this is all on Tremblay because it isn't. Roy's ego certainly has a big part in it. So does the GM getting Tremblay, who was known not to be in friendly terms with Roy, as coach in the first place. AND a coach in Tremblay who, with a known big ego, really had no experience coaching to begin with. Anyone thinking this was going to work must have been smoking something really good. Sorry, neither Roy nor Tremblay could help themselves and this cluster F&$K is mostly on Houle for being ridiculously dumb in hiring Tremblay in the first place.

Reactions: Habsddicted

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Wasn't Roy on the block before the 9 goal game anyways? If the 9 goal game never happened to people think Roy would not have been traded?

Were the Molsons being cheap once again trying to trade Roy? I remember hearing rumors about Detroit even before the 9 goal game.

It seems like Trembly was pouring gasoline on a raging fire. It just seems like after 93 Molson was bent on destroying the team and thats why eventually that team was dismantled. Just IMO.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Disagree. I think a couple of teams would happily take Price off our hands and would pay a good value to make it happen.
Buffalo hasn't won a POs round in 12 years. They have missed out on the POs for 7 straight years, only 2 appearances in 11 years. If Price became available, with the addition of Dahlin and Eichel leading up front, I'm sure they would be all over him.
Philly is still screwing around with goalies who aren't even worth 3M for Christ's sake, you think they wouldn't give up a pretty penny to get their hands on Price?? Ya sure, Price is still a gamble, but for a team like Philly, it's one that is well worth taking.
Arizona, St-Louis, Vancouver, Calgary.

I have no idea why any of these teams would not be interested in getting one of the NHL's best goalies.
Sure, big contract, some risk, but some of those teams are desperate to get back into the POs or in the mix again. If they can bring in Price without taking a big hit on their current roster, I'm sure they'd be very interested.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Wasn't Roy on the block before the 9 goal game anyways? If the 9 goal game never happened to people think Roy would not have been traded?

Were the Molsons being cheap once again trying to trade Roy? I remember hearing rumors about Detroit even before the 9 goal game.

It seems like Trembly was pouring gasoline on a raging fire. It just seems like after 93 Molson was bent on destroying the team and thats why eventually that team was dismantled. Just IMO.
It doesn't matter if Roy was going to be traded regardless. In no way shape or form does that excuse the terrible handling of both Tremblay and upper management in this case.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Jul 6, 2016
Err...Tremblay left Roy in goal for NINE goals. Was it because they didn't have a back up goalie? No... was the backup hurt? No. So was it because Roy wanted to stay in? No. Tremblay left one of the top NHL (if not the top) goalie, star goalie, franchise goalie in net on purpose for NINE goals to 'teach' Roy a lesson. And you think Tremblay had no hand in this at all and this is ALL on Roy?

Look, I understand you have no respect for Roy and you dislike (being generous) him. Yes, as a player, Roy is probably my fav but I do admit that I would probably hate him in real life, but still, taking emotions out of this, just looking at the facts, saying this is all on Roy, well, I think your feelings are clouding your judgement. I'm not saying this is all on Tremblay because it isn't. Roy's ego certainly has a big part in it. So does the GM getting Tremblay, who was known not to be in friendly terms with Roy, as coach in the first place. AND a coach in Tremblay who, with a known big ego, really had no experience coaching to begin with. Anyone thinking this was going to work must have been smoking something really good. Sorry, neither Roy nor Tremblay could help themselves and this cluster F&$K is mostly on Houle for being ridiculously dumb in hiring Tremblay in the first place.

All Ronald Corey's fault !!!

-firing both Savard and Demers
-hiring raw, raw, rookies like Houle and Tremblay (who never coached or been gm at any hockey levels)
-not being able to cool off the Tremblay-Roy crisis.

Corey built...but destroyed his team as well. Serge Savard made horrendous trades too (Chelios, Leclair) and was really bad at drafting for a decade almost.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Disagree. I think a couple of teams would happily take Price off our hands and would pay a good value to make it happen.
Buffalo hasn't won a POs round in 12 years. They have missed out on the POs for 7 straight years, only 2 appearances in 11 years. If Price became available, with the addition of Dahlin and Eichel leading up front, I'm sure they would be all over him.
Philly is still screwing around with goalies who aren't even worth 3M for Christ's sake, you think they wouldn't give up a pretty penny to get their hands on Price?? Ya sure, Price is still a gamble, but for a team like Philly, it's one that is well worth taking.

I have no idea why any of these teams would not be interested in getting one of the NHL's best goalies.
Sure, big contract, some risk, but some of those teams are desperate to get back into the POs or in the mix again. If they can bring in Price without taking a big hit on their current roster, I'm sure they'd be very interested.

Philly isn't going to take Price while Carter Hart looks like he's the next Price.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Philly is still screwing around with goalies who aren't even worth 3M for Christ's sake, you think they wouldn't give up a pretty penny to get their hands on Price??

philly wouldn't give us a nickel for price until they see how Hart turns out

philly is tired of trading for goalies who end up doing nothing for them.....price would end up being the same.....they got smart and finally drafted one

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I'm not arguing if Price has value. I'm arguing what his value is.

Price is one of the best(some might say the best) at his position, correct?

If you want Crosby(same age), Tavares, Stamkos or whoever...you may a fortune if they're signed long term.

You want Price? Well...it's a lot less.

Goalies aren't as expensive.

Sure some guys go for more...but they aren't 31 and paid 10.5 mil either.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Of all the stars I've watched on this team since the mid-sixties, Roy is my least favourite and my dislike for him happened when he pulled that stunt that night. Before that I thought highly of him. He was the third best goalie I had seen. Dryden, Hasek and then him. He is still up there. As a goalie I respect him. As a person I wouldn't give him the time of day. A woman beater, a manipulator, narcissistic, and self-centered. He pulled a smaller version of what he did here in Colorado and left Sakic high and dry.

I agree with what you posted I went too far in the opposite direction but that's only because many posters make blanket statements likeTremblay lost us Roy. Tremblay had a very minor part in it. He was a bit player in Roy's orchestration. If it wasn't that night it would be another night that he would throw a temper tantrum. Roy wanted out. He wanted out so much he even told Vernon (an opposing goalie) he wanted out before Tremblay was even hired. When Demers was still pampering him he spoke with Vernon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad