Post-Game Talk: Fri., Oct. 11 2013|Coyotes 2 at Flyers 1

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Lecavalier is hurt and I appreciate your suggestion of sending Coturier down and making Schenn the 3C. Actually made me laugh on a pretty sad night. Lets just dump our best defensive forward and PKer to the AHL because he can't produce offense. Never mind that his line scored the only goal and he had a strong game forechecking.

A bad run of games really brings out the crazies.

I wanted to comment on the ridiculousness of sending Couturier down among other things the guy said, but I'm too pissed off from the game to deal with it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yup and a whole bunch of flyers had inflated stats in that offensive system.

Probably about an extra 15-30 goals a year through playing that way honestly, so 40-55 more points mean the top two lines lose about 4-6 each and the other 10-20 are spread between the other players.

That is frankly what we would have looked at if they were as good a team playing a different system... so the stats were really not too inflated.

This team just blows ass atm.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think Couturier only had one or two shifts I thought were bad. I don't think he's been bad at all. He does look like he needs to be more confident/assertive, though. You can probably chalk that up to Lavi's handling of him.

I agree. He looks a lot better this year than last. You can tell he has taken a step in the right direction. If he takes one more step like he did this year he could be a legit force.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He , Brayden, and Hartnell worked out all summer long with weber. Something the schenns do every summer.

Then that's another puzzle. He was good last year with nothing but a week of practice before real games started.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Some shred of consistent teamplay instead of occasional hints of it would be really nice.

The amount of times a player looks up, sees a guy in a position, and passes, only for the guy to have already started moving somewhere completely different as the passers blade touches the puck is ridiculous.

No-one is on the same page... the PP is the best example of that, they cleared the zone for Phoenix about 5 times with passes to where someone was 1 second before.

That and not making the simple plays... trying too hard to go past someone when an easy outlet is available.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Lecavalier is hurt and I appreciate your suggestion of sending Coturier down and making Schenn the 3C. Actually made me laugh on a pretty sad night. Lets just dump our best defensive forward and PKer to the AHL because he can't produce offense. Never mind that his line scored the only goal and he had a strong game forechecking.

A bad run of games really brings out the crazies.

Couturier hasn't done anything this season short of the one shift to secure the victory against Florida. His PKing isn't anything we don't get from our other PKers, and he is playing ridiculously afraid whenever the puck is anywhere near his stick.

I don't know what Couturier you have been watching, but the one I've seen (this season) is a decent defensive player, but one who is totally lost in the offensive zone. I don't care if he doesn't put up any points; it's the lack of composure with the puck and the reluctance to use his physical abilities to keep possession.

His line scored the only goal on a broken wrap around (by Couturier) and a lucky deflection off a skate. I've been a massive defender of Couturier for the last two seasons, but what we've seen from him in the last five games is not worth defending. He is tentative and scared. He needs confidence. Maybe that's residual damage from Laviolette. I don't know. But I say stamp it out with a stint in the AHL to light a fire under his ass.

His presence isn't vital to the team's success (given that there hasn't been any), so if ever there was a time to try to fire up a young player, now would be it.

EDIT: I really don't get where people are getting the idea that Couturier's been good. He's been just awful thus far.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You are utterly clueless if you think demoting Couturier would help him or the team.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
What is wrong with the teams passing too, no crisp passes anywhere. We can't even get through the damn neutral zone. Can't wait to get embarrassed by the wings...

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Putting Couturier into the minors to build up his confidence or get him fired up is probably the most ludicrous, ridiculous, and twisted thing I've ever heard in regards to hockey.

The thoughts people had of Heatley putting up 70 goals with Thornton is up there in ridiculousness but at least there was a shred of logic to it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So if part of Couturier's problem is confidence, how does killing his confidence by telling him he hasn't been good enough improve his confidence?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Putting Couturier into the minors to build up his confidence or get him fired up is probably the most ludicrous, ridiculous, and twisted thing I've ever heard in regards to hockey.

The thoughts people had of Heatley putting up 70 goals with Thornton is up there in ridiculousness but at least there was a shred of logic to it.

It's no different than Ottawa's logic in sending Zibanejad down to Binghampton to start the year.

If a player doesn't want to compete, you light a fire under his ass. I see nothing wrong with it. Couturier hasn't been competing hard enough. It's really all there is to it.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's no different than Ottawa's logic in sending Zibanejad down to Binghampton to start the year.

If a player doesn't want to compete, you light a fire under his ass. I see nothing wrong with it. Couturier hasn't been competing hard enough. It's really all there is to it.

It's in no way a comparable situation nor player. I'm obviously not the only one saying that here.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm not sure we're watching the same Couturier. The Couturier I've seen has been an integral part of his line being our one line that consistently keeps the puck in the offensive zone and produces shooting opportunities. He looks like he has a confidence problem, not an effort problem like Zibanejad.

He's also our best FO guy at 57%, a HUGE improvement so far. He's looked better overall than last year. So sending him down to punish him not only makes no sense but would be of no benefit to him or the team.

Jumping

Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta Ga
This team is slooooowww.

Honestly I'd look at bundling both the Schenn's for speed on the back line, a winger who can skate, then tell Mez he is hurt and use Gus more.

And given what the team needs Streit was a bad signing. We need more size and more speed on defense.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
So if part of Couturier's problem is confidence, how does killing his confidence by telling him he hasn't been good enough improve his confidence?

Part of his problem is confidence. The other part is competitiveness. But to start, Couturier has zero confidence in his abilities right now. I haven't seen him make one composed play with the puck that wasn't a dump in so far.

Giving him a stint in the minors will piss him off while allowing him to continue developing confidence in his offensive abilities (which haven't developed one shred in the last two seasons). I was hoping to god he would take a step forward this season, but he hasn't.

Let him put up a PPG in the AHL for a little while and allow him to realize that he has offensive tools that he is currently too freaking afraid to use. That's when his confidence starts to rebuild. Seriously, there's no where for his confidence to go at this point but up.

Couturier Post

Aug 10, 2011
5 games into the season, and the only thing that has been reliable is the goaltending. I feel like I've entered bizarro world.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Sorry, I haven't read the thread, but I went to the game, had seats with great vision.

Man, this team is bad right now. It has zero chemistry. It was around 2:30 left in the 2nd period before they created a legitimate, knockdown, drag out, scoring chance. They had "shots" on net. Rinaldo's penalties were momentum killers.

These guys are all playing their own game out there. Passing to guys going left instead of right-- it's just bad hockey.

Couturier appears to have diddly for offensive firepower. He faked a shot and the defender didn't have a sniff of fear about it.

The best moment of the game was when I said: "Don't take a penalty right now or the game is over." Tick. Tick. Tick. Mez. The fan next to me laughed at me and groaned.

The fans were awesome tonight (they're usually quiet) and didn't deserve this. A lot of them don't know much about hockey.

"Quick would have let that one in!!!" (Bryz)
"High sticking penalty!!!!!!! 2 minutes!!" (Puck played with a high stick)

Etc. Kind of cute, really.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Sorry, I haven't read the thread, but I went to the game, had seats with great vision.

Man, this team is bad right now. It has zero chemistry. It was around 2:30 left in the 2nd period before they created a legitimate, knockdown, drag out, scoring chance. They had "shots" on net. Rinaldo's penalties were momentum killers.

These guys are all playing their own game out there. Passing to guys going left instead of right-- it's just bad hockey.

Couturier appears to have diddly for offensive firepower. He faked a shot and the defender didn't have a sniff of fear about it.

The best moment of the game was when I said: "Don't take a penalty right now or the game is over." Tick. Tick. Tick. Mez. The fan next to me laughed at me and groaned.

The fans were awesome tonight (they're usually quiet) and didn't deserve this. A lot of them don't know much about hockey.

"Quick would have let that one in!!!" (Bryz)
"High sticking penalty!!!!!!! 2 minutes!!" (Puck played with a high stick)

Etc. Kind of cute, really.

We've noticed the same stuff you have. Just feel bad you were at the game.

The sayings of casual fans at games amuse me. Sometimes they can piss you off but for the most part it's funny how much they think they know when they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad