Post-Game Talk: Fri., Oct. 11 2013|Coyotes 2 at Flyers 1

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Yeah, it really does seem like we're watching two different players.

On my screen, he hasn't been an integral part of anything. Yes, he's given us good defensive play, but once we get control of the puck, you can expect him to make a sloppy play with it that leads to a broken rush or chance, and a turn over going back the other way.

But on top of that, when we do have possession in the offensive zone, I don't see him working hard with the puck on his stick. It's quite an odd problem; most players have the opposite issue. But for Couturier, he's not willing to drive the net with the puck or carry it into dirty areas in order to make the play. He is much too content making a soft dump into the corner instead of sacrificing in order to make a play with it.

I think it's both a confidence and a competitiveness problem.

Personally, I think the "issue" with Couturier isn't a confidence or competitiveness issue - it's an issue in which he honestly doesn't know what to do. The previous head coach used to rip on him for anything and everything. If Couturier missed a defensive assignment, he tore him a new one. If he didn't generate offense, he'd be torn a new one. I honestly think that Couturier is worried that he's going to do something that will get him stapled to the bench.

With that being said, there's signs of life in his game. He's coming around. You have to remember, he's a 20 year old playing the most difficult role on any team - the shut down center. I don't know of any 20 year old centers in the NHL who are playing that role. They're either moved to the wing to begin their careers or they're playing in a top role in which their linemates are defensively sound to cover up for them. Couturier is being asked to be the defensive conscience on the team.

What worries me is that if after 10 games, the Flyers only have 1 win, Holmgren might go into full blown panic mode and start moving guys. I'm afraid he'll end up moving Couturier in a deal for someone like Yandle or Byfuglien, which would be a huge mistake. I'm still hopeful that once they get time in under the system Berube wants to use and what Paddock is trying to instill defensively, they'll be fine.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The good:

They lost the game but at the same time some things seem to have changed fo the better: passing was more accurate, defensive zone play looked more solid, and they looked more like a unit.
Mason!!! Again..

The bad:

Timonen looks so slow down there and takes stupid penalties when beaten to the outside.
Simmonds is simply lost out there - can't get in the passing lanes, misses his assignments and can't even park himself in front of the net.
Giroux taking all those bad angle shots and not showing any creativity at all.

The ugly:

Coburn constantly passing the puck to Grossmann to let him make the outlet pass.
Out PP units suck pretty bad right now.

But all in all that was to be expected. A system change simply isn't going to be completed after 2 games. The is still hope they can turn this around. If they are still playing that way by the end of October...well..:(

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
What worries me is that if after 10 games, the Flyers only have 1 win, Holmgren might go into full blown panic mode and start moving guys. I'm afraid he'll end up moving Couturier in a deal for someone like Yandle or Byfuglien, which would be a huge mistake. I'm still hopeful that once they get time in under the system Berube wants to use and what Paddock is trying to instill defensively, they'll be fine.

I would be shocked if they traded Couturier. There is no one on this team or in the minors that can perform his role. Plus his salary is cheap and they would have to move significant salary to get a decent player. I think it would be a current winger, defensemen, or prospect (goodbye Laughton!).

Hextall4GM

Dec 22, 2009
St. John's, NL
Giroux's 5 game pointless streak is concerning and outside of Lecavalier and the goalies, the team seems lacking in confidence but I think they have time to turn it around.

The injuries might be a bit of a blessing in getting Hartnell off the top line and forcing someone to step. If someone else can step up and play well on the top line it might spark Giroux a bit.

It's been hell in Philly the last year, Giroux missed all preseason and now they have a new coach, all things considered, a slow start was not to be unexpected.

I think Lecavalier, Mason and Schenns look good, outside of Luke's bad pass, and the team has enough depth to be able to move guys around.

We should get off the ledge for at least another 5 games.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yeah, it really does seem like we're watching two different players.

On my screen, he hasn't been an integral part of anything. Yes, he's given us good defensive play, but once we get control of the puck, you can expect him to make a sloppy play with it that leads to a broken rush or chance, and a turn over going back the other way.

But on top of that, when we do have possession in the offensive zone, I don't see him working hard with the puck on his stick. It's quite an odd problem; most players have the opposite issue. But for Couturier, he's not willing to drive the net with the puck or carry it into dirty areas in order to make the play. He is much too content making a soft dump into the corner instead of sacrificing in order to make a play with it.

I think it's both a confidence and a competitiveness problem.

Yea last night I think Couturier was probablly our worse player. Up there also was Matt Read. While Giroux and Voracek havent done anything they did "better" near the end of the 3rd and honestly Read was killing them at that point.

Honestly, hands down, was probably the worse game Couturier has played for the Flyers. Do feel bad for the kid. He had one pk where he STRUGGLED to a point where he blocked one of own clearing attempts, and messed up clearing twice. The crowd started to rip on Couturier pretty hard at that point and even sarcastically cheer when his 3rd attempt finally got out

So I have been ripping on Mez alot because of his play but last night confirmed it all. Mez seriously is the teams worse defender. I havent seen such poor all around performance in such a long time. Guy behind even yelled "theres mezsaros getting bear again". Probablly happened close to 10 times. I think the Yotes were trying to exploit him.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Now that I've come back down to Earth from my Friday night festivities, I'll say this team needs some serious help. And for once, it's on offense. They need to add a scoring winger or two if they ever want to get the best out of Giroux. Putting Hartnell/Simmonds/Read with him isn't going to cut it. Teams are just collapsing on Giroux because they know it's the better play to force the others to do something. Those guys are excellent second liners, but just average to below average first liners. At this point, they need to bring up Akeson. Any offensive creativity is desperately needed, even is you sacrifice some two way play.

And lol at the people dogging B. Schenn. He's the only guy generating any semblance if offensive chances, and he's getting on the score sheet. What else do you want from such a young player?

Right now the JVR/Schenn trade is looking horrible. JVR would look so much better on Giroux's wing than anything else they can offer.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Personally, I think the "issue" with Couturier isn't a confidence or competitiveness issue - it's an issue in which he honestly doesn't know what to do. The previous head coach used to rip on him for anything and everything. If Couturier missed a defensive assignment, he tore him a new one. If he didn't generate offense, he'd be torn a new one. I honestly think that Couturier is worried that he's going to do something that will get him stapled to the bench.

With that being said, there's signs of life in his game. He's coming around. You have to remember, he's a 20 year old playing the most difficult role on any team - the shut down center. I don't know of any 20 year old centers in the NHL who are playing that role. They're either moved to the wing to begin their careers or they're playing in a top role in which their linemates are defensively sound to cover up for them. Couturier is being asked to be the defensive conscience on the team.

Wow, I didn't know Lavi was ripping Couts all the time. I was really confused with that contract extension Couts signed because it seemed awfully low and it was wierd that Homer said Couts approached him because he wanted security. Maybe his confidence has dropped so low that he feels he has to cash in while he can.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Newbury is out scoring Giroux. This team will suck until the best players are the best players. I really don't expect a ton more out of the 3rd and 4th lines but they look bad because the top 2 suck the big one. The reality is that when your best players aren't your best players teams lose

So is Coburn and I have in my Hockey pool roster as filler, I was smart enough not to pick Giroux

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

I agree. Couturier looks like he's playing to not make mistakes. I do believe this stems from the last coach. The team looked closer to a team last night. Giroux seems to be getting better touch on the puck. Saw him float a couple of passes. This team just needs time. It's a long season. We are five games in and had one major change. Team defense and goal tending look better the points will start coming. There is talent there we just need to be wait for it to come. Two years ago them team should have struggled and they didn't. Last year you saw the young team that we should have expected after the Richards and carter trades. This year I expect to see a lot of young or unseasoned players grow and gain confidence. The second half of the year will look different from the first. Growing pains is what I see most of right now.

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
The whole team other than Mason looked bad and ugly last night. Giroux needs to go and see a sports psychologist or something. Rosehill just needs to go.

Highlight for me was when Adam Hall lobbed the puck into Greiss' glove from the blue line and as he went back to the bench JJ called that a good shift.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
The whole team other than Mason looked bad and ugly last night. Giroux needs to go and see a sports psychologist or something. Rosehill just needs to go.

Highlight for me was when Adam Hall lobbed the puck into Greiss' glove from the blue line and as he went back to the bench JJ called that a good shift.

Adam Hall's penalty shot attempt was quite comical, I expected a straight chest snipe, but instead got a botched attempt. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad