Post-Game Talk: Fri., Oct. 11 2013|Coyotes 2 at Flyers 1

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Hate to bring it up, but ever since the Carter and Richards trades, this organization hasn't been the same.
While individually those trades seem ok from a value stand point, I believe we lost more than their production.

They're excelling in LA and still performing similarly to how they did here.

We knew we were downgrading from top-end talent to depth and young developing guys but Giroux was expected to take the top center role over and the depth was expected to counteract any lost production.

And? This isn't open hockey, and those were all grade A quality scoring chances that would likely be goals in they weren't pressing. Three to four scoring chances of that level are all that's to be expected against a tight checking team like Phoenix. You have to capitalize on the few you're going to get.

If this were just one game it'd be fine on it's own but what's your excuse for the rest of the season?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Complain all you want, but this was still a vast improvement over previous games. There weren't any extremely long stretches being stuck in their own zone for once and they also had two great shifts to start the game for the first time in eons.

I know it's cliche, but this team is "too talented" to not at least start scoring on the PP. If they can just keep games close and get some PP production, this team will be alright.

Mason also looked very solid for the most part.

It could be worse, they could've let up 15 goals in 2 games. :sarcasm:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I have never been impressed with either Schenn. Granted they are young, but I haven't seen anything from them, especially Brayden that suggests he will be a great player. I hope they make me eat crow in the future. :laugh:

Brayden has talent. You can see it. The problem with him is he seems to be lacking hockey IQ. Luke is what he is. A slow, shot blocking, hitting machine. Doubt he'll ever be a top pairing d man on a contending team but still a decent player.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Lavy's approach has really skewed peoples' perspective on how the rest of the league has been playing hockey the last couple of years. Goal scoring is really hard in this second dead puck era.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Lavi really screwed this group up. I mean bad. They look like they had no preparation for the season at all. In fact, it looks like any good this roster had went out the window.

Two years ago this group was 1/3 rookies and were thrown together after having the team blown up...and they were scoring 4-5 goals a game. Now? They can't even get through the neutral zone.

Individually, there are some good things...but the short comings seem to all go back to not being prepared (timing off, lack of conditioning, lack of fluency, etc). As a team? Forget it...its like they are playing blind folded with strangers. This group should be growing together...instead they are becoming less farmiliar with each other. Idk how that is even possible.

I am convinced that Lake Placid trip was just a bunch of sitting around.

That's what I'm thinking, and it makes Holmgren's refusal to fire him in the offseason all the more infuriating.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Brayden has talent. You can see it. The problem with him is he seems to be lacking hockey IQ. Luke is what he is. A slow, shot blocking, hitting machine. Doubt he'll ever be a top pairing d man on a contending team but still a decent player.

And the bolded is exactly why I am not impressed with Brayden at all and do not think he will ever be more than a role player.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Complain all you want, but this was still a vast improvement over previous games. There weren't any extremely long stretches being stuck in their own zone for once and they also had two great shifts to start the game for the first time in eons.

I know it's cliche, but this team is "too talented" to not at least start scoring on the PP. If they can just keep games close and get some PP production, this team will be alright.

Mason also looked very solid for the most part.

It could be worse, they could've let up 15 goals in 2 games. :sarcasm:

I appreciate the attempt at logical optimism (versus blind optimism that's really just being a homer) but it's more sad that this was our best effort through five games then anything else.

This team is far more talented then this on paper which is why I really am just baffled. The team's talent may show itself eventually, but for the moment there's no reason to believe it will happen till it happens. Meaning it's not in sight.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Lavy's approach has really skewed peoples' perspective on how the rest of the league has been playing hockey the last couple of years. Goal scoring is really hard in this second dead puck era.

Yup and a whole bunch of flyers had inflated stats in that offensive system.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Newbury is out scoring Giroux. This team will suck until the best players are the best players. I really don't expect a ton more out of the 3rd and 4th lines but they look bad because the top 2 suck the big one. The reality is that when your best players aren't your best players teams lose

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

We're averaging almost one goal a game dude.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Regarding Brayden Schenn, he didn't play much until Lecavalier left the game (only had 4:00 minutes in the first), but he had three prime scoring chances tonight. I'd be concerned if he wasn't getting the chances, but they're definitely there. He is the least of the team's problems with 3 points on the year already.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
They're excelling in LA and still performing similarly to how they did here.

We knew we were downgrading from top-end talent to depth and young developing guys but Giroux was expected to take the top center role over and the depth was expected to counteract any lost production.

If this were just one game it'd be fine on it's own but what's your excuse for the rest of the season?

It's been five games. I know they sucked last year, but that was for entirely different reasons. In fact, the things that ruined last year's team have actually been solid this year.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Aside from the fact that this team is performing this bad even with Mason's goaltending performances there's also the fact that we haven't played a top team yet. We're playing this badly against a lot of bad to mediocre teams so far. I can't fathom what these five games would have been like against a group of teams like Chicago, Boston, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, etc.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I appreciate the attempt at logical optimism (versus blind optimism that's really just being a homer) but it's more sad that this was our best effort through five games then anything else.

This team is far more talented then this on paper which is why I really am just baffled. The team's talent may show itself eventually, but for the moment there's no reason to believe it will happen till it happens. Meaning it's not in sight.
I can't disagree with any of that.

I keep on thinking the PP can't get any worse and yet somehow, it always does.

Victory5

Apr 12, 2011
Its not the lack of production, but the lack of effort.

They dont look like a hockey team out there. NHL teams have succeeded with much less than we had, or at the very least, been competitive.

Chief better figure this out fast because they look so far gone right now, its incredible

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's been five games. I know they sucked last year, but that was for entirely different reasons. In fact, the things that ruined last year's team have actually been solid this year.

Let's not act like last season and this season aren't interconnected. Not like it was a long time ago or with a different core. This is basically the same team but with a different goalie set and Lecavalier/Streit added to it.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 34s
Holmgren says both Lecavalier and Hartnell will miss at least a week with their injuries. Now they say Hartnell is an upper-body, not lower.

dear god

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
We're averaging almost one goal a game dude.

Which is a hell of a lot closer to league average than the inflated numbers we saw under Lavy's optional defense system. Thus team is not scoring because they're pressing out the ass. They got their opportunities tonight, they just didn't finish them. That will come around.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Hate to bring it up, but ever since the Carter and Richards trades, this organization hasn't been the same.
While individually those trades seem ok from a value stand point, I believe we lost more than their production.

Beat me to the punch. Losing Pronger is bad enough, but this goes back to the dismantling of what appeared to be a sound "plan" with the trading of Richards and Carter, followed by JVR and Bobrovsky, none of who are complaining at this point. Right now it appears that the Flyers have no plan except "win today" which has got them about no-where. Early yet though and this team may find a way to stumble its way to the play-offs and, after that, who knows?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Which is a hell of a lot closer to league average than the inflated numbers we saw under Lavy's optional defense system. Thus team is not scoring because they're pressing out the ass. They got their opportunities tonight, they just didn't finish them. That will come around.

1 gpg is not close to league average, it's WELL below it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Let's not act like last season and this season aren't interconnected. Not like it was a long time ago or with a different core. This is basically the same team but with a different goalie set and Lecavalier/Streit added to it.

Well no kidding. I just pointed out that the defensive and goaltending issues that killed them last season appears to be much better.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
When do you think we will have a 5 goal game? 10 games in? 20? 30? At all lol? This team is mentally broken and it's obvious. They aren't playing as a team. It was clear as day at the end if the game. Down by 1 goal with under a minute to play and an empty net, Read has the puck behind the yotes net and is controlling the puck against the boards against 2 yotes players. Giroux is standing about 10 feet away from him watching him take on 2 players. That was the CAPTAIN standing there watching his teammate struggle against 2 players. Giroux as the leader of this team absolutely has to be in there fighting with Reader. Pathetic effort by our so called captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad