Tennis: French Open 2021

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Djokovic pretty much is stamping himself as the GOAT at this point...multiple wins over Fed at Wimbledon, now multiple wins over Nadal at the French.

I mean, he didn't start beating them until they were getting on in age/injuries. 25-30 year old Federer was the best player I've seen since I started watching tennis in the early 90s, imo. Although obviously Nadal rules clay.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So is this Rafa's last shot at beating Roger's record?
This was his best opportunity. I doubt he wins another hard court GS though he will be a hard out for awhile. Can't see him putting together another Wimbledon. So that leaves Roland Garros next year, and that might well be his last opportunity. But time is obviously not on his side, and the younger guys are getting better and better.

I hope all three of them end up with 20 GS titles, but I doubt Novak is going to stop there.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
It's crazy that the GOAT race is still going on in 2021, I thought it would have been over years ago. I never thought they'd still be dominating the slams.

Oct 18, 2006
Hopefully not a repeat of 2015 when he got destroyed by Super Stan in the finals. Did I hear that right? 6th RG final, only 1 win. Yikes.
A lot of his recent losses have been to those with a single handed backhand. I’m concerned. It’s a very tough matchup. I think it goes at least 4. If Novak plays as well as today he wins though.

Oct 18, 2006
I mean, he didn't start beating them until they were getting on in age/injuries. 25-30 year old Federer was the best player I've seen since I started watching tennis in the early 90s, imo. Although obviously Nadal rules clay.
Well, he beat Federer at the AO at age 20. And Federer’s peak years were incredible no doubt, absolutely domination, but check out some of the guys he beat in those major finals. Doesn’t really hold a candle to the bulk of Novak’s victories.

Reactions: Streetsamurai

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Well, he beat Federer at the AO at age 20. And Federer’s peak years were incredible no doubt, absolutely domination, but check out some of the guys he beat in those major finals. Doesn’t really hold a candle to the bulk of Novak’s victories.

And I'm sure Federer beat him plenty too.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's worth watching the extended highlights of the match. Seeing it again, knowing what's coming, really emphasizes what a tactical achievement that win was for Nole. Especially his ability to start points on his own terms including on return of serve, his emphasis on preying continuously on Rafa's backhand and opening up space in the process, taking Nadal wide on the backhand side time after time and keeping him on the defensive, and his sheer commitment to his plan (which is why he probably kept up the pressure at 5-love in the first set), provide a blueprint for playing Rafa on his favourite court. Trouble is, nobody else has the skill and technique to replicate it, but that doesn't make it less impressive.

Reactions: Filppula

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

Weird, because his absolute peak started and ended way before that.

He was a force of nature from 2004 to 2006, i. e. at 23-25.

In 2007 already, while still immensely successful, Fed started showing signs of stagnation/the rest of the pack began catching up. A 21 year old Nadal almost beat him in Wimbledon. A twenty year old Novak gave him a hard time at US Open (the result appears one-sided mainly due to Novak's inexperience).

In 2008, Federer was totally beatable, and his game would never again be as impeccable as it was at his absolute best. His shot arsenal reduced and so did his confidence. 2009 looked good on paper, but his level of play was never the same. Shaky serve, vulnerable slice BH. Between 28 and 30, he won one major.

So 25-30 year old Federer was not even the best Federer I have seen.

As for yesterday, I couldn't watch the first two sets, so I don't know what happened there. I managed to make it just as Nadal had a set point in the third. We could nitpick a couple of details here and there, but overall, Novak was just too good for him yesterday. Rafa's movement deteriorated to a crazy extent. When Novak hit that stop ball Rafa clearly saw, I thought, "surely Nadal is gonna get to that". But he was too hopeful it wouldn't end on his side of the net, and when he realized it would, he turned on the wheels so rusty and clunky it hit me: age did its work. Rafa is old.

This, to me, marks the end of an era. I'm not gonna just write him off, period. But his French Open aura got bitten away by a huge chunk yesterday. His weaker, BH side is gonna get exploited more and more, and more players will model their strategy on what Novak (and Diego in a way) attempted this year.

If Rafa ever gets to the final again, it will be a tough effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei and Filppula

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
djokovic-beats-nadal-french-open.webp

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So basically a doubles player whose single's ranking has never been higher than #33, and that only recently (her end of year ranking the last three years has been #125, #115, and #65), wins Roland Garros. I feel for Pavlyuchenkova whose pulled thigh muscle affected her movement, but such complications are the nature of the game.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So basically a doubles player whose single's ranking has never been higher than #33, and that only recently, wins Roland Garros. I feel for Pavlyuchenkova whose pulled thigh muscle affected her movement, but such complications are the nature of the game.

Kind of a weird comment, Krejčíková was a very deserved winner, Pavlyunchenkova got rocked in the first set long before any muscle pull and her play didn't look any different before and after the medical TO...
Not sure what rankings have to do with it either, players rise and fall, Pavlyuchenkova is also only #32 right now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Never cared less about a Roland-Garros final than this one (Women, obviously, not Tsitsipas-Djokovic)

Reactions: Hawkman

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kind of a weird comment, Krejčíková was a very deserved winner, Pavlyunchenkova got rocked in the first set long before any muscle pull and her play didn't look any different before and after the medical TO...
Not sure what rankings have to do with it either, players rise and fall, Pavlyuchenkova is also only #32 right now.
I'd be willing to bet a couple of beers that Krejcikova gets knocked out in the first or second round at RG next year.

Reactions: Hawkman

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Anyone picking Tsitsipas tomorrow?

Me. I mean, Nole looked scary good against Rafa at certain moments, but I doubt he can maintain that level throughout the match. Considering Rafa played mostly bad, no serve, bad BH, bad decision, bad execution of the good ones type of the match, and still Novak blew away so many chances and almost got bageled in the first, his stock may be a little inflated right now.

Then there's Stefanos, who got pretty damn good lately. He's got the ground game, he's got the serve, he's hungry for a major, but most importantly, he has no reason to fear Nole at 3-5 H2H. The last two matches could have gone his way; he keeps knocking on Djoker's door. My main concern is his stamina should it go the distance. If he manages to set the tone with his wide angle strokes from each side and makes Nole run, this could be it.

Oct 18, 2006
Me. I mean, Nole looked scary good against Rafa at certain moments, but I doubt he can maintain that level throughout the match. Considering Rafa played mostly bad, no serve, bad BH, bad decision, bad execution of the good ones type of the match, and still Novak blew away so many chances and almost got bageled in the first, his stock may be a little inflated right now.

Then there's Stefanos, who got pretty damn good lately. He's got the ground game, he's got the serve, he's hungry for a major, but most importantly, he has no reason to fear Nole at 3-5 H2H. The last two matches could have gone his way; he keeps knocking on Djoker's door. My main concern is his stamina should it go the distance. If he manages to set the tone with his wide angle strokes from each side and makes Nole run, this could be it.
A lot more heart than head here I’m thinking.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Like most of the rest of the world, it seems, I'm picking Nole in four sets. But I'm not 80-20 on Nole or anything. More like 55-45.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A nervous opening hold from Tsitsipas, but that should settle him down some.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Biggest single discrepancy between these two is quality of return of serve, but Tsitsipas is serving so well, Nole hasn't been able to take advantage, 5-4 Stefanos.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Give me a break. Tsitsipas gets a time violation yet Djokovic took forever to towel off after he fell and got no warning.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Finally Tsitsipas can't buy a first serve and Nole gets the break, 6-5....and with second serve problems of his own, Nole can't consolidate. Wow. Breaker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad