Tennis: French Open 2021

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Can't see anyone other than Nadal winning this. Looks like Fed will have another one of his records gone...

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Zhao is the last Canadian standing in qualifying. She just won and moved into the final round of qualifying. She got a WC into qualifying.

It's been a comeback year for her, she missed a lot of time from injury. It would be pretty awesome for her to qualify for her first GS MD.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm picking Nadal, too.

My degree of certainty is closer to 50% than the usual 100%, though. How it inches up closer to 100% depends on the draw. He is a year older, and, except for Rome, really, he did seem to show more signs of his age this spring. And at 34-years-old he will run into the problem that Roger ran into--being consistent through seven best of five matches is a lot to ask. There are more people who can make his life challenging in the early and mid-rounds, and two "next gens" have beat him on clay this year, plus there is Tsitsipas, Thiem and Djokovic, who have also beat him on clay. Though Roland Garros are his equivalent of "home courts," I'm really curious to see that draw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Osaka has announced that she won't be doing media interviews post-match for mental health reasons because she thinks they're only done to kick people when they're down. She's asked that her fines be put towards mental health. I like her but think this is ridiculous.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Osaka has announced that she won't be doing media interviews post-match for mental health reasons because she thinks they're only done to kick people when they're down. She's asked that her fines be put towards mental health. I like her but think this is ridiculous.
I don't. Her task is to be physically and mentally able to step on the court with as few distractions or anxieties as possible. If this helps her do that, I'm all for it. I've never seen the need for a media scrum after every single GS match anyway. I hope she continues this policy in England as well, where the media is so jackal-like.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't. Her task is to be physically and mentally able to step on the court with as few distractions or anxieties as possible. If this helps her do that, I'm all for it. I've never seen the need for a media scrum after every single GS match anyway. I hope she continues this policy in England as well, where the media is so jackal-like.

Come on. The tennis media is about as cream puff as it gets. This is just another dart Osaka is throwing at the board. One of the more disconnected from reality athletes in recent memory.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Come on. The tennis media is about as cream puff as it gets. This is just another dart Osaka is throwing at the board. One of the more disconnected from reality athletes in recent memory.
What makes her disconnected from reality?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I find a lot of what she says and does to be tone deaf. She lives in her bubble and it comes off false to me. Not a fan of her persona.
I just see an athlete with an unconventional (by conventional sports standards) personality trying to alter her environment so that she feels comfortable in it. I don't have a problem with her at all.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I just see an athlete with an unconventional (by conventional sports standards) personality trying to alter her environment so that she feels comfortable in it. I don't have a problem with her at all.

I don't see it that way but different strokes. She's not great on clay anyway so more than likely it's much ado about nothing. I can see this being a long term issue though if she pulls this stunt with any kind of frequency.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Lol @ Djokovic, Nadal and Federer all in the same half.

Although Federer is basically zero threat here.

Reactions: MsMeow

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Journalists also have a job to do. If she doesn’t like the media attention, she can quit being a professional athlete making millions per year and take up a job that pays a lot less. The media responsibilities come with the territory. The mental health reason she gave seems like such a facade. She’s the best player in the world. Aren’t her expectations for herself and her own self criticism worse than anything a journalist throws her way?

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Journalists also have a job to do. If she doesn’t like the media attention, she can quit being a professional athlete making millions per year and take up a job that pays a lot less. The media responsibilities come with the territory. The mental health reason she gave seems like such a facade. She’s the best player in the world. Aren’t her expectations for herself and her own self criticism worse than anything a journalist throws her way?

Athletes speak after games and matches in every single sport. It's just as important for us to see them speak after a crushing defeat as it is a big win. I

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Zhao is the last Canadian standing in qualifying. She just won and moved into the final round of qualifying. She got a WC into qualifying.

It's been a comeback year for her, she missed a lot of time from injury. It would be pretty awesome for her to qualify for her first GS MD.

She lost her final round qualifying match today :(

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Great stand by Naomi. Her job is to play tennis, not to answer questions. It also seems to me that whoever is disagreeing with her stand does so on the basis of the author of that stand.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Athletes speak after games and matches in every single sport. It's just as important for us to see them speak after a crushing defeat as it is a big win. I

By that, I gather that you mean that it's totally irrelevant either way?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Great stand by Naomi. Her job is to play tennis, not to answer questions. It also seems to me that whoever is disagreeing with her stand does so on the basis of the author of that stand.

That's not true at all and the WTA reminded her of that. When you are a pro athlete, in particular in a sport like tennis that is many ways on life support, it is your job to do interviews and face the music. This "mental health" angle is nonsense. What's next-she doesn't want to play in front of spectators?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's not true at all and the WTA reminded her of that. When you are a pro athlete, in particular in a sport like tennis that is many ways on life support, it is your job to do interviews and face the music. This "mental health" angle is nonsense. What's next-she doesn't want to play in front of spectators?

If you say so, it must be true.

(Notice that I have no issue with Osaka "suffering" whichever consequence comes from her choice. More importantly, Osaka doesn't really care about these either, considering she knowingly took that stand and has no issue paying the fines. She isn't having the cake and eat it too.)

Novak Djokovic had this so say.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/novak-djokovic-naomic-osaka-fench-open-skip-press-1.6043764

Which is, come to think of it, a pretty solid endorsement if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If you say so, it must be true.

(Notice that I have no issue with Osaka "suffering" whichever consequence comes from her choice. More importantly, Osaka doesn't really care about these either, considering she knowingly took that stand and has no issue paying the fines. She isn't having the cake and eat it too.)

Novak Djokovic had this so say.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/novak-djokovic-naomic-osaka-fench-open-skip-press-1.6043764

Which is, come to think of it, a pretty solid endorsement if I ever saw one.

So, you don't think it's part of a professional athletes job (in this case tennis) to face the media and do interviews? Well, the WTA disagrees with you! Shoot, Osaka disagrees with you because she acknowledges potentially hefty fines coming her way. As for that link, are you saying Djokovic endorses her position? It doesn't read that way to me.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Why would any fan even care if she doesn't speak to the media? Outside of the odd Roddick press conference, I don't think I've ever been entertained by those.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s entitlement to feel like you don’t have to speak with the press and others do.

She makes 50M per year. A few hundred thousand dollar fine would amount to nearly nothing. Suspending her would be a real consequence.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, I can't wait to see the tournaments and/or the WTA line up to suspend what's probably their biggest draw on the Women's side.
That's not even a hill to die on : that's a swamp to die on.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why would any fan even care if she doesn't speak to the media? Outside of the odd Roddick press conference, I don't think I've ever been entertained by those.

Well, you do have the odd tantrums. And also the odd empty rooms.

But, out of the 3 or 4 sports that I follow quite seriously, Tennis is, by far, the one where media pressers are the least covered by the press and the Organizing powers (in that case, ATP/WTA). They aren't part of the show, the same way pressers and interviews are a part of the show in F1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->