News Article: Freidman: Habs-Hawks Attempted Versteeg Deal Falls Through

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Well, he kinda had no choice.. we barely have enough money to re-sign Galchenyuk.

It's already been reported Chucky is close to a bridge deal. Which we had MORE than enough cap space for. It's leading to another signing/trade.

Koopa Troopa

Jun 14, 2015
Montreal
I saw someone mention Lebrun tweeted that he had contacted Versteeg via text and asked him to confirm the rumor. Versteeg told him it never happened.

I saw another person mention when Bergevin was asked about it. He declined for comment saying "He doesn't discuss trade scenarios with the media".

Hard to say if it really happened. If it did. I'd be extremely disappointed with management and Bergevin.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I saw someone mention Lebrun tweeted that he had contacted Versteeg via text and asked him to confirm the rumor. Versteeg told him it never happened.

I saw another person mention when Bergevin was asked about it. He declined for comment saying "He doesn't discuss trade scenarios with the media".

Hard to say if it really happened. If it did. I'd be extremely disappointed with management and Bergevin.

This is a secondary Versteeg rumour, not the original one that Versteeg declined a trade.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It makes more sense if it was part one of a two part trade with Chicago. Can't imagine any other reason for Bergevin to take Versteeg. There's no place for him on the top six, and the bottom six is deep.

Let's say Chicago agreed to MB's offer for Sharp on the condition that he take Versteeg as well. Had it gone through, Bergevin would move Versteeg elsewhere. Maybe adding Thomas for a 4th.

Hawks get rid of 2 contracts that are critical, MB adds to the top six. Makes some sense to me in that scenario. No way otherwise.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Versteeg doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Not like he would hurt our offense but he wouldn't be our saviour either

dreamingofdrouin*

Except for the 46 point season he put up split between the Maple Leafs and the Flyers and the 54 point season he posted as a Panther.

agreed,...the guys is only 29 and he's still a 20 goal scorer, signed for 2.2 million. would have been a solid pick up

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Versteeg said he didn’t veto over the lack of an extension. The trade didn’t happen, but I can’t say why with certainty.
Friedman is freaking lazy. Ask a follow up question you dumb hack! Versteeg tell you he didn't veto over one reason, that mean he did veto the trade over something else.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I prefer Versteeg on his cut-down contract, than any top6 free agents forward that will most likely get overpaid on a long term contract.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Friedman is freaking lazy. Ask a follow up question you dumb hack! Versteeg tell you he didn't veto over one reason, that mean he did veto the trade over something else.

He can't veto ****, he doesn't even have a NTC.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Shame.. Versteeg on this team would be a lock for about 20 goals, 40 assists, 60 pts in a 3rd line role next to Eller.. that line would've driven success to capturing our first cup since 1993.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
agreed,...the guys is only 29 and he's still a 20 goal scorer, signed for 2.2 million. would have been a solid pick up
I'm not a huge fan of Versteeg, but apparently we have plenty of guys who can score 20 goals. I wouldn't say no depending on the deal.. but I wouldn't want to add him for nothing.

Maybe something like Sharp + Versteeg for Emelin/Gilbert + Thomas.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Andrighetto
Sharp - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Desharnais - Eller - Versteeg
Prust - Mitchell - Weise
Smith Pelly, Bournival

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Tinordi

Price
Tokarski

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm not a huge fan of Versteeg, but apparently we have plenty of guys who can score 20 goals. I wouldn't say no depending on the deal.. but I wouldn't want to add him for nothing.

Maybe something like Sharp + Versteeg for Emelin/Gilbert + Thomas.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Andrighetto
Sharp - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Desharnais - Eller - Versteeg
Prust - Mitchell - Weise
Smith Pelly, Bournival

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Tinordi

Price
Tokarski

Nah. Zero way we're taking two forwards on without moving DD's salary.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Nah. Zero way we're taking two forwards on without moving DD's salary.
If if it fits under the cap this season, who cares?

Versteeg is done at the end of the year. Desharnais will be on his last year next year.

Emelin would be the ideal one to deal, but Gilbert going still covers Versteeg and a piece of Patrick Sharp.

Plekanec will also be up and we'll know if management or Plekanec want to move on.

Would be better to move Prust's salary than Davey's. Moving Prust for a draft pick would let us replace him with Flynn.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
also, Bergy himself keeps saying we are a team in freaking transition, why not bring up a youngster instead of bringing in these band-aids that clearly dont work? Even if Therrien will do his best to destroy said youngster, at least we save some money on the cap and there is always HOPE he doesnt destroy said youngster

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
also, Bergy himself keeps saying we are a team in freaking transition, why not bring up a youngster instead of bringing in these band-aids that clearly dont work? Even if Therrien will do his best to destroy said youngster, at least we save some money on the cap and there is always HOPE he doesnt destroy said youngster
Can Therrien really destroy said youngster any worse than in Hamilton?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Hearing this is just depressing. We are on the cusp of being a perennial contender and Bergevin refuses to go the extra mile to push us to the top. Stop waiting on the hope prospects maybe have an impact. I want to take advantage of Price's talents now.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If if it fits under the cap this season, who cares?

Versteeg is done at the end of the year. Desharnais will be on his last year next year.

Emelin would be the ideal one to deal, but Gilbert going still covers Versteeg and a piece of Patrick Sharp.

Plekanec will also be up and we'll know if management or Plekanec want to move on.

Would be better to move Prust's salary than Davey's. Moving Prust for a draft pick would let us replace him with Flynn.

It doesn't fit under the cap. You're trading 4.1/2.8 cap space for 8.1. Unless you think Galchenyuk is signing for under 3 mil.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
Can Therrien really destroy said youngster any worse than in Hamilton?

well, at least said youngsters get ice time and opportunities in Hamilton. Yes, the directions given are probably crap though but its better, i would assume, then playing on the big team and not seeing any ice time or always playing the dump vs nhl players and/or getting your confidence shattered for no apparent reason. :nod:

HabsDieHard*

Where are all of the people from the threads on the weekend who were making fun of the posters for saying it was a dumb thing for Bergevin to do?

LOL

Capitaine Subban*

Hearing this is just depressing. We are on the cusp of being a perennial contender and Bergevin refuses to go the extra mile to push us to the top. Stop waiting on the hope prospects maybe have an impact. I want to take advantage of Price's talents now.

Our only way to become a perennial contender is via one of our kid breakout a la Maxpac. to get a solid top6 forward we'll need to give asset like gallagher,Galchenyuk,Plekanec,Markov for example. Now we need all those players to stay on top of the east .DD,Eller,Emelin,weise,Prust,Gilbert etc ... wont bring the forward we need unless we gut most of our prospect like Scherbak,McCarron,Hudon ...and we still ,likely,wont get a real stud. I will quote what RRS said on another thread:

The way I see it is the habs are pretenders, not contenders or on the verge of contending. So I'm good with the GM managing the team like pretenders and taking his time to fill crucial positions in a way that will lead us to contend for many years instead of hoping we win something in one window.

The way I see it is the habs are pretenders, not contenders or on the verge of contending. So I'm good with the GM managing the team like pretenders and taking his time to fill crucial positions in a way that will lead us to contend for many years instead of hoping we win something in one window.

The best run teams in the league have multiple windows in the span of a decade, not just one in which they hopefully win one cup and start to re-build from scratch due to the cap.

I agree that it is the safest way to contend realistically with the team we have now+ our prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad