News Article: Freidman: Habs-Hawks Attempted Versteeg Deal Falls Through

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
About the Kris Versteeg situation, Montreal and Chicago were working on something and I heard a fifth-rounder was going to the Blackhawks. Versteeg said he didn’t veto over the lack of an extension. The trade didn’t happen, but I can’t say why with certainty.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/

I posted this as a stand alone thread since perhaps the trade might be re-visited in the future. Also, open to discussions.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Haven't they tried to acquire him last year as well, before he was traded to the Hawks?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I actually do like Versteeg just not for our current lineup. We must be very desperate for a RW if he's the guy we're targeting.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I actually do like Versteeg just not for our current lineup. We must be very desperate for a RW if he's the guy we're targeting.

If Bergy was looking to get him for a 5th, I assume it's to replace Parenteau, and isn't their #1 target. Mais bon. Je sais pas.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Versteeg is in the same mold as PAP and Briere, a guy who leeches off his teammates. **** him.

Yeah, that's my biggest fear with Versteeg is that the Habs are going to get another PAP and Briere scenario. I know MB wants to stay patient and wait for the kids to step in, but at some point, he's gotta find a more stable/talented option on the RW. The habs went from Cole to Ryder to Briere to PAP. Versteeg is more in the cheap, cross your fingers and hope he fits type of mold.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Really? Buying out Parenteau just to replace him with Versteeg at $2m? $2m + $2.6m (Pap buyout) still comes out to roughly the same cap hit.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I thought this turned out to be wrong, it was on the trade forum but end up being closed pretty fast as it was debunked by LeBrun or something.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'd rather just go with Ghetto..

I really don't know what people see in that guy. I saw a player who was a LOT less dedicated to playing three zones than DLR, Bournival or even Thomas.

You would think a guy that is getting his first taste of the NHL would bust his ass and hustle, and I just did not see that. Hemmed in his own zone a lot, last one to get back to the D zone, stuff that a rook has no right to do.

Yes, he got three points in 12 games, but frankly DD showed a lot more in his first 12 NHL games, and before I hear the excuse that Andrighetto was mostly on the bottom lines, DD got 3rd and 4th line duty as well back then.

Hudon might have a better chance of making the NHL than Andrighetto, IMO, unless there is a big attitude change.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Thank god that didn't happen. We have young forwards as good as Versteeg for half of Versteeg salary. Don't need no 3rd liner. Sharp or Skinner are the guys we need to target.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Now the question should be asked....

Was Versteeg a replacement for Parenteau who is now on buyouts waivers

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Versteeg is awful, when it was speculated that Bergevin wasn't interested in Versteeg after the rumor that he "nixed" a trade to Montreal was debunked, we had all the management apologist banging their chest and getting all up in arms because some were saying it was a "typical Bergevin move". Versteeg is not the answer to our problems, not even part of it.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Versteeg is awful, when it was speculated that Bergevin wasn't interested in Versteeg after the rumor that he "nixed" a trade to Montreal was debunked, we had all the management apologist banging their chest and getting all up in arms because some were saying it was a "typical Bergevin move". Versteeg is not the answer to our problems, not even part of it.

Still better than the inevitable overpayment for future buy-out candidate Matt Beleskey.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Still better than the inevitable overpayment for future buy-out candidate Matt Beleskey.

The team who will offer him 5 millions + will immediately regret their decision. Let's hope it won't be the habs. The guy has a career high of 32 points... :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad