Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Engvall to line 3 and Goat to 4th line was the other option that we used most of the year.

I'll be amazed if AJ and Kap are both back next year

Barabanov was another option. There are also guys we can sign in UFA (Vesey, Leivo, etc.) who could probably work as well.

Give Robertson a shot, and worst case we have Mikheyev who did work for most of the year, and maybe a UFA who can play anywhere in the top 9. Even if Robertson is not ready for a full time 3rd line role, we will have Engvall and Barabanov as guys who can step up and a guy like Korshkov would be a great fit for our 4th line.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Barabanov was another option. There are also guys we can sign in UFA (Vesey, Leivo, etc.) who could probably work as well.

Give Robertson a shot, and worst case we have Mikheyev who did work for most of the year, and maybe a UFA who can play anywhere in the top 9. Even if Robertson is not ready for a full time 3rd line role, we will have Engvall and Barabanov as guys who can step up and a guy like Korshkov would be a great fit for our 4th line.
Sorry, I meant those were the options for playoffs over Malgin

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
With David Poile saying that he wants to make some changes, I wonder if we can target Ekholm?

6’4 215lbs two-way D. Only 3.7m caphit for the next two years. A left-hand shot but there’s no question he’d improve our team.

My feeling is that NSH will be a team, that like what's been reported about PIT, will have an internal number of around 74-75M.

Thus, Ekholm is probably not the one they'll move.

I think Ryan Ellis will be the one they look to move.

Reactions: 4thline

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Chris Tanev was made for Toronto.

$4 million x 7 years for an uninsurable player who will likely LTIRetire about 4-5 years into the contract. Nobody in the league is matching that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is he really worth that much? He got paid 900k this year. I thought 2.5 million would he fair enough for him. He has little offensive game. For that money I think I'd go after edmunson/tanev/hamonic instead than demelo

Edmundson would be if you dealt Rielly for Parayko or something, unfortunately he's a LD but I like him.

Hamonic is gonna be 4.5-5.75M. Tanev probably 4.5-5.5M but injured more.

3.75M if he's on your 2nd pair is good and he's actually a legit guy at that position unlike Holl.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Chris Tanev was made for Toronto.

$4 million x 7 years for an uninsurable player who will likely LTIRetire about 4-5 years into the contract. Nobody in the league is matching that.
Injury prone player who you don't know will be in or out of the line up. How to you play out a roster with someone like that?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Robertson doesnt even make the team unless the Leafs move some wingers. he only played vs CBJ because Johnnson was not ready and the alternative would have been what Malgin?
Robertson is 100% going to be on the team. I think they realize they need to move out a few wingers regardless.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Interesting article in the athletic. With actual quotes from (name censored) real players and insiders.

1.) the team seems to have picked Jarry and were upset at Murray being used all the time
2.) they are looking at a 70-72 salary cap as they are a venue driven team. Salary will be cut.

it is interesting which teams are looking to cut real money. It has been speculated to be a much wider spread reality for teams than everyone is thinking

insiders have openly said

pitt/Buffalo/Florida. Are looking to cut

anaheim/nashville/Calgary seem to be pretty small market and private ownership.

It will be interesting to see which teams will end up being added to the list.

Another reason why Nylander's value will be high

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
My feeling is that NSH will be a team, that like what's been reported about PIT, will have an internal number of around 74-75M.

Thus, Ekholm is probably not the one they'll move.

If we could somehow pull Ellis that'd be great, I think. I'd love Arvidsson on this team as well but I feel like they are pretty high on him still.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Interesting;

Here's a full recap for those who can't/don't want to listen.

- Says he has someone in the league calling Gudas "future Leafs Radko Gudas" (Later on, he does mention that mentioning Gudas and Boro was him speculating)
- Wondered if Joe Thornton will be a Leaf next year, so less certain there.
- Both Marek and Friedman seem to agree that there will be grit brought in, but they still need to be a player, similar to Clifford, who has solid underlying numbers and is a positive player on the ice, outside of the physicality.
- Friedman reiterated again that Dubas and Shanny's plan going into the playoffs that the big four would get another year together, even if there was an early exit, but this was also earlier than they likely expected
- Four guys, Nylander, Kapanen, Kerfoot and Johnsson, where their real dollars go lower than their cap hit. Likely will put those guys out there, and see what happens.
- Friedman has heard Mitch Marner's name out there, but he's learned that what is out there, isn't always reality. There's a paranoia, or a belief around Marner (but not from him) that the Leafs don't like him, or going to get rid of him, and that's just not true. Organization wasn't sure how things would go after a rough negotiation, but apparently Marner was terrific and he was their King Clancy nominee by a mile. Friedman said he would be absolutely shocked if Marner was traded.
- Doesn't believe the Leafs will extend Frederik Andersen this off-season. IF Freddy is back next season, it will be as a pending UFA, and they'll see what happens.
- Friedman says there is a lot of available goalies, and he wonders if there is enough chairs for everyone, and whether someone could be had for a discount. (Whether it be via UFA, or via trade for someone like Murray/Jarry).
- Spezza and Leafs will likely be meeting within the next week or so. Leafs loved Spezza and felt he went above and beyond. Says in hindsight, Babcock scratching Spezza on opening night was the nail in the coffin for Babcock, and Spezza didn't let things go sideways. Thinks Joe Thornton could have an affect on things.
- Believes Bruce Boudeau will be looking to be a head coach. However depending on how things work out in that regard, being the offensive coach for the Leafs might be appealing.

Appreciate the summary man.

Management will likely take another shot with the big four and shuffle around the secondary guys. Agreed that Spezza stepped up in a big way and deserves another shot.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Funny Buffalo is looking to move real money when you look at the fact that they only have 10 players signed for next season :laugh:

They're going to be in rough shape for awhile and are prime for pickings.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Another reason why Nylander's value will be high

Absolutely. If they decide to move anyone what so ever. They are all with low salary.

My personal bets are NYI/ANA/FLA/CLG/PHX/PITT/NSH/BUFF will all be cutting salary this year.
We will see how it goes.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Again assuming lots of bodies are moved out, I wonder about someone like Frank Vatrano if the Panthers are looking to shed salary too .. Not a big body but he's physical and can score.

Also wonder if the Panthers would move Ekblad because of his salary.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Funny Buffalo is looking to move real money when you look at the fact that they only have 10 players signed for next season :laugh:

They're going to be in rough shape for awhile and are prime for pickings.

I mean, when you have Skinner at 9M, Okposo at 6M, Ristolainen at 5.4M, and Miller at 3.875M it does make sense :laugh:

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Again assuming lots of bodies are moved out, I wonder about someone like Frank Vatrano if the Panthers are looking to shed salary too .. Not a big body but he's physical and can score.

would love Frank the Tank Vatrano to become a leaf, he is a nice piece!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Ekblad only makes 2M more dollars this upcoming season, so unlikely.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Dermott, Johnsson & Kapanen should ALL be gone next year. The only way they keep Dermott is if they move Rielly for a RHD but I doubt that happens.

Reactions: Future

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

With how Dubas feels about the core I think these two are part of a very short list of options that sees Nylander dealt.

Ellis I'd want straight up, Ekblad we'd have to add (and even then it would be a deal that would make the main board explode) but if they're looking to cheaply pay lipservice to icing a competitive roster, Kapanen, Johnsson, Holl, Liljegren, even Sandin if we're pushed, are pieces we could bare to involve in an acquisition of that scope.

On the smaller scale with Florida, if he'll waive his NTC and we clear the cap space I could see us going after Stralman in a soft deal.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Restructuring the bottom 6 with cheaper grittier players is needed.

UFAs I would be interested in:

Thornton
Perry
Grant
Rinaoldo
Ritchie

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
IF we decided to move on from Freddy, I wonder if Raanta is a potential option.

Kuemper is clearly ARI's guy, and they might not want a 4.25M backup.

Raanta had his injury last season, but this year, two and three seasons ago he's been real solid for ARI and NYR.

Reactions: NHL WAR

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wow the Preds have 9 players under contract for 3 years or greater currently.

Wonder if Josi will be moved. He starts his new 8 year deal next season with some high real salaries plus a full NMC ... Right now it is a prime chance for them to get out from that contract.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

If you look at who the Panthers have after Ek, Yandle and Stralman are old, Matheson is not liked, and Pysyk was being played out of position so I assume he walks. They would have to get two NHL defensemen back to make it worth their while, plus a core player for the deal. I think they would be a tough club to make a deal with because they have Bob and their best forwards are in their prime. We need a trading partner who's window is years off and is maybe doing a tear down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad