Free Agents and Trade Thread - Training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Circling back to Ottawa.......this may make sense for a (hypothetical) Marner trade for a few reasons. They have 2 top 5 picks, a lot of really good prospects ready to play next year, cap space, a history of trading with us, and an owner ready to spend (although, technically, he said the season after next).

Tkachuk and 5th is not going to happen. However, I can see.......

Formenton + 5
Batherson +5
Norris + 5

possibly even Pinto + 5 (Pinto may end up being a pretty good 3c)

For size freaks, all of the guys above are 6'3.

5th would be Drysdale.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Dermott is an RFA without arb rights who doesn't put up points and didn't have a great year. We can squeeze him if we have too.

And Mik isn't eligible for an offer sheet, and he was injured half the season. A long term extension would be out of the cards but I wouldn't rule out a cheap 1 year deal either.

You can make it work without trading anybody. Run a shorter roster if you have to.

If you want to upgrade the RD position then yes Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen/Mik/Dermott can all be trade chips to offset value and free up space.

Even if we had a hard negotiating GM, we aren’t getting Dermott and Mikheyev signed for less than a million each.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tavares - NMC
Matthews - Shouldn't be moved
Nylander - between adding to our defense, and then replacing him, he doesn't free up enough space versus the value he brings to us.
Mitch Marner is the realistic one to move if we actually want to re-balance our cap space IMO. He's overall a better player than Nylander, but that extra 4M of cap space and likely greater return is the difference.

I go back and forth on the daily of whether I think we should/could/would trade Marner. He's been one of my favorite players from before we drafted him, when I watched him weekly in London. If he was making 9.5M even, he would be a total no move for me.

I do wonder, given they have Makar and Girard, whether COL would be interested in a Byram

LA would be interesting given they have the 5th pick, an abundance of 2nd & 3rd's over the next two drafts, and maybe we could get Grundstrom back to fill in a wing spot.

I don't want to move Marner within the East.

Reactions: nuck and Gallagbi

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Tavares - NMC
Nylander - between adding to our defense, and then replacing him, he doesn't free up enough space versus the value he brings to us.
Mitch Marner is the realistic one to move if we actually want to re-balance our cap space IMO. He's overall a better player than Nylander, but that extra 4M of cap space and likely greater return is the difference.

I go back and forth on the daily of whether I think we should/could/would trade Marner. He's been one of my favorite players from before we drafted him, when I watched him weekly in London. If he was making 9.5M even, he would be a total no move for me.

I do wonder, given they have Makar and Girard, whether COL would be interested in a Byram

LA would be interesting given they have the 5th pick, an abundance of 2nd & 3rd's over the next two drafts, and maybe we could get Grundstrom back to fill in a wing spot.

LA has the 2nd overall pick.

Marner makes the most sense from a pure asset standpoint.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
To add to the trade Marner discussion, he's only making 7x5 in real dollars after he gets his 20-21 signing bonus of 14.3M.

Very desirable add for a team that needs hard payroll cuts and won't be spending to the cap for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: ToneDog

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Tavares - NMC

Byram is not fair value for Marner, whatsoever. Marners a 94-point guy in the league and Byram hasn't even played a game in the NHL. I doubt Byram ever becomes as good as Marner either. Nylander is definitely the guy to trade and then you move your depth players further up. This is IF they trade one of the big 4 though. Its not impossible to improve defence without doing that

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Byram is not fair value for Marner, whatsoever. Marners a 94-point guy in the league and Byram hasn't even played a game in the NHL. I doubt Byram ever becomes as good as Marner either. Nylander is definitely the guy to trade and then you move your depth players further up. This is IF they trade one of the big 4 though. Its not impossible to improve defence without doing that

Two decent options
LA- 2nd ovr, 35th ovr, Vilardi, Thomas, Fagemo, Kupari, Grundstrom, Andseron-Dolan, Lizotte
Devils 7th ovr, 11th ovr* 17th* ovr, Foote, Kuokkanen

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Tavares - NMC

I agree Mitch is the logical move but not sure about trading him for a core piece that isnt NHL ready unless they are planning on signing Pietrangelo.

Ideally you want him as far west as possible so he isnt feasting on the Leafs for the next decade. I couldnt guess on a possible deal though as its not clear what KD thinks the club needs

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For the right package would Van, Minny, or Seattle be good destinations for Mitch ??

Hypothetically speaking, the Leafs would probably get a better package from Seattle. The Wild need centres more than wingers (though obviously theyd be interested in a guy of Manrers level. The Wild dont have a great prospect pool or even a lot of younger talent so the Leafs would be getting back vet players (unless theyd be willing to give up Fiala).

Reactions: ToneDog

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Circling back to Ottawa.......this may make sense for a (hypothetical) Marner trade for a few reasons. They have 2 top 5 picks, a lot of really good prospects ready to play next year, cap space, a history of trading with us, and an owner ready to spend (although, technically, he said the season after next).

Tkachuk and 5th is not going to happen. However, I can see.......

Formenton + 5
Batherson +5
Norris + 5

possibly even Pinto + 5 (Pinto may end up being a pretty good 3c)

For size freaks, all of the guys above are 6'3.

5th would be Drysdale.
If it is the Sens, let’s get Brown back bc I have a feeling he will be good with someone like JT. Hyman-JT-Brown, that’s one tough line to play against.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hypothetically speaking, the Leafs would probably get a better package from Seattle. The Wild need centres more than wingers (though obviously theyd be interested in a guy of Manrers level. The Wild dont have a great prospect pool or even a lot of younger talent so the Leafs would be getting back vet players (unless theyd be willing to give up Fiala).
Don’t think Min is a good trade partner.
Vegas would be great, Mitch for Stone. That won’t happen though, but I think it will be someone like Stone-who is late 20s or early 30s, can still play at a high level for the next few years with a huge Cap but the team wants to get younger.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Agree about the Wild. And Vancouver has their own cap issues until Ericksson is gone. I don't think they could make it work and I don't think they would try to for another forward as their D outside of Hughes is older and less skilled than their fowards. Seattle has no pieces except picks and what they scrounge in the X draft. I think my minimum core piece in a Marner trade is more than they will have for at least a year or two.

Trading a young star caliber player with a massive contract and a flat cap it would be tough to get fair value. Basically his contract puts him out of reach of half the league right off the hop and half the clubs that are left don't have anything attractive enough to deal for. Take away divisional rivals and the partners become so few it would almost be a fluke not to get hosed. Nobody is untradeable but a club shouldn't have to take a hit to give some other club some elite talent. Plus I don't think Dubas would be willing to break up the band.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Something thats interesting is that the Avalanche will likely need to move a D and it will likely be Zadorov or Cole.

Id be interested in them both as number 4s and they wouldn't cost much.

Johnsson+ for Cole @50% or Zadorov

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Something thats interesting is that the Avalanche will likely need to move a D and it will likely be Zadorov or Cole.

Id be interested in them both as number 4s and they wouldn't cost much.

Johnsson+ for Cole @50% or Zadorov

I have heard this a lot. I don't think it will happen. I think the Avs will keep Timmins down for another season, continue to play Cole and Zadorov and then lose Zadorov in the expansion draft, which is probably better for them than losing a forward as their D pipeline is strong with Timmins and Byram.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Your trying to balance the cap, so why would you move the best contract from the big 4 on the team which is Nylander? Trading Marner is the best option.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Your trying to balance the cap, so why would you move the best contract from the big 4 on the team which is Nylander? Trading Marner is the best option.

I'm not coming at it from the perspective of balancing the cap, I'm coming at it from the perspective of balancing the team so its not all offence and no defence.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I very much doubt any of the big 4 will be moved while Dubas is GM. Seems like Dubas made his bed and is happy with the core. Marner especially wont be moved as you wont get anywhere close to full value as he was/is overpaid.

I expect you may see something like Kap+prospect+pick to try to grab a partner for Rielly. Dont see AJ being moved with his value at an all time low and Kerfoot is needed for 3C duties. Would leafs even be able to protect Kap in the expansion draft? I guess it depends on what defenders they add

I could honestly also see Ceci brought back at a lower cap hit as a 3rd pairing vet PKer which honestly I would be fine with depending on the cap hit.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Looks like we will get to see what Dermott looks like as a top 4 D over the next few games. He will probably log at least 20 minutes a night with Holl.

I would really like to see what he looks like on the right side but that won't happen in the playoffs unless multiple RHD go down with injury. And I obviously don't wish that.

Reactions: jaric1862

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I very much doubt any of the big 4 will be moved while Dubas is GM. Seems like Dubas made his bed and is happy with the core. Marner especially wont be moved as you wont get anywhere close to full value as he was/is overpaid.

I expect you may see something like Kap+prospect+pick to try to grab a partner for Rielly. Dont see AJ being moved with his value at an all time low and Kerfoot is needed for 3C duties. Would leafs even be able to protect Kap in the expansion draft? I guess it depends on what defenders they add

I could honestly also see Ceci brought back at a lower cap hit as a 3rd pairing vet PKer which honestly I would be fine with depending on the cap hit.

I would.never say never but I'd say theres about 0% chance any of the big four are moved this offseason, and I feel pretty confident in that. As you suggested, he will exhaust every other option, probably including moving assets like Kapanen or even Liljegren (though they'd certainly start with a guy like AJ first) of need be first before management consider moving a Marner or Nyalnder level guy.

I

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I would.never say never but I'd say theres about 0% chance any of the big four are moved this offseason, and I feel pretty confident in that. As you suggested, he will exhaust every other option, probably including moving assets like Kapanen or even Liljegren (though they'd certainly start with a guy like AJ first) of need be first before management consider moving a Marner or Nyalnder level guy.

I
Ya I feel like Lily is in play if a long term partner for Rielly can be acquired but the fact he is expansion draft exempt will probably make it hard to move him.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 8.12.28 PM.png

Keep most of the Roster In Tact and let's see how they perform through a full season. I like the way the roster is currently constructed, with the exception of the blue line.

Liljigren (I know it sucks), Johnsson & 2nd for Manson @ 50% ret
- Slight overpay IMO but it's worth it with the Cap Savings, Manson is also the ideal partner for Rielly.
- Allows us to play Holl with Sandin, giving the youngster a responsible partner, and Dermott can learn a thing or two from Muzzin

Signings:
- Clifford 3 years x $1.35 Mil --> not a lot of players can bring what he does to the lineup. He's tough but can still play the game.
- Mikheyev 3 years x $2,000,000 --> Our Forward version of Justin Holl
- Dermott 2/3 years x $2,000,000 --> Similar to Holl, lower floor, much higher ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad