Free Agents and Trade Thread - Post Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If they do make a trade, they will probably just float a random prospect like Petan to get one.

that i would do a petan for some dman i would not waste even a 7th on trade for one. We are a good drafting franchise dont waste a pick, in fact Engvall and Johnsson are 7ths for example

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If they do make a trade, they will probably just float a random prospect like Petan to get one.

Possibly, though we just traded Harpur to add more forward depth to the Marlies, so we might prefer to toss a 6th or 7th out instead, even if it’s conditional or something

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I don’t disagree. And if Rosen plays over Marincin it’ll be fine
At least Keefe knows Calle, and Calle’s familiar with systems and expectations.

underrated part of the deal, maybe, seeing how Calle’s on his way up.

Reactions: stickty111

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
At least Keefe knows Calle, and Calle’s familiar with systems and expectations.

underrated part of the deal, maybe, seeing how Calle’s on his way up.

Calle seemed to like Keefe as well, seeing as he apparently asked the Avs to be traded back to us specifically.

Talk about good timing.

I’ve wanted to see Rosen get a consistent shot in the NHL, I like his game.

Was disappointed it wasn’t going to be with us. Turns it, it will

Reactions: aingefan

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Calle seemed to like Keefe as well, seeing as he apparently asked the Avs to be traded back to us specifically.

Talk about good timing.

I’ve wanted to see Rosen get a consistent shot in the NHL, I like his game.

Was disappointed it wasn’t going to be with us. Turns it, it will
Source? Thats nice and I believe you.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Would rather wait and save the 2 available roster spots, unless you move out a Gravel + c level prospect which wouldn't be a bad move for a Hainsey Erikkson Del Zotto
Hainsey I think would be perfect! He’d be cheap and I think could help stabilize Barrie.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
The Marlies are also the best team in the league to play for if you're an AHLer, bar none. So it doesnt surprise me that people want to play for the Marlies.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Avs writer

This is what I like about Dubas. Players want to be here because they are treated right. I am frustrated with our lack of battle some nights but I do agree with him that it is an age/experience issue.

He could have and should have acquired more veteran presences/leadership, which I think he’s aware of now.

Overall, I hope Dubas is given more time to make this team with his vision (as it develops, I don’t believe he is closed to change) and hope he has a full year with less of an injury bug.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
This is what I like about Dubas. Players want to be here because they are treated right. I am frustrated with our lack of battle some nights but I do agree with him that it is an age/experience issue.

He could have and should have acquired more veteran presences/leadership, which I think he’s aware of now.

Overall, I hope Dubas is given more time to make this team with his vision (as it develops, I don’t believe he is closed to change) and hope he has a full year with less of an injury bug.

It's certainly been a bad year to test our defensive depth.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Dubas will have until at least next summer

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
Dubas will have until at least next summer
So only guaranteed half a year with his coach and nothing beyond?

I’d hope he gets two more summers before we can really evaluate the direction of this team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Again, none of this has anything to do with what was being discussed. Someone brought up the Marleau trade being bad and you inserted yourself the discussion, if you don't care, then don't participate.

I don't care that you don't care about the blame game or that you are looking forward not backward.

Hope the winner of the blame game is happy with their prize when they win it. And, I'll participate in any thread that I'd like to thank you.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Hope the winner of the blame game is happy with their prize when they win it. And, I'll participate in any thread that I'd like to thank you.

I wasn't blaming anyone for anything, It was a discussion about specific transaction. One person thought it was bad, I disagreed. That was it.

Then you started talking about a whole bunch things that had nothing do with that transaction. Thanks for your useless input, moving on now.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From 31 thoughts.

4. If Thornton is not sold on the Sharks, and he’s willing to seek out new life (boldly go where no one has gone before), my prediction is Toronto will be a factor. I can’t confirm this, but I believe the Maple Leafs considered adding him now. Two things stopped it: 1) their decision not to make short-term fixes after the Carolina loss, and 2) are they really a legit contender if they have to go through Boston or Tampa Bay or both? When GM Kyle Dubas said he wanted to see how his group would respond to its tough stretch, he meant it. Thornton would have eased the tension right now, but the organization wants to see how everyone top to bottom reacts and performs. Next season is a different story.

Thornton’s made it clear he will make his salary fit. He’s a left-hand shot who could feed Auston Matthews/John Tavares from his strong side. (They have spent plenty of time with Zach Hyman and William Nylander on their weak sides, although both have had strong seasons.) There’s the Greyhound connection. People forget, too, that Thornton’s been through the ringer. The first playoff series I covered for Hockey Night in Canada was Boston/Montreal 2004, where the Canadiens came back from 3–1 down to win. Thornton came under huge criticism with articles demanding he be stripped of his captaincy. He survived and will walk into the Hall of Fame. Good message for Toronto’s young core. Anyway, something to chew on.

6. The Maple Leafs made it clear they weren’t trading Tyson Barrie unless they received two things: a good-enough replacement to keep them in playoff position until currently injured reinforcements arrived, and a sweetener for the future. They would have taken Troy Stecher, but the Canucks didn’t have the picks and made it very clear certain prospects were not available. Ergo, no match. Toronto was also looking for more of a Kevin Shattenkirk circa 2017 return than, say, a third-rounder. That’s right out of the Brian Burke school of managing: don’t make a trade for less than you want, because everyone knows you’ll eventually cave.

8. Finally, on Toronto: A few teams were wondering what was up when Dubas sent out a note 45 minutes before the deadline looking for a forward. They thought it was weird Dmytro Timashov would be lost on waivers and then the Maple Leafs would be trying to add. (Timashov had asked for a trade weeks ago, and may have asked to be placed on waivers as Sven Baertschi did this year.) Another GM, though, thought Dubas was slyly trying to snare an inexpensive forward at the last second from a team that suddenly had one too many.

It's clear Dubas really wants Thornton.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
From 31 thoughts.

4. If Thornton is not sold on the Sharks, and he’s willing to seek out new life (boldly go where no one has gone before), my prediction is Toronto will be a factor. I can’t confirm this, but I believe the Maple Leafs considered adding him now. Two things stopped it: 1) their decision not to make short-term fixes after the Carolina loss, and 2) are they really a legit contender if they have to go through Boston or Tampa Bay or both? When GM Kyle Dubas said he wanted to see how his group would respond to its tough stretch, he meant it. Thornton would have eased the tension right now, but the organization wants to see how everyone top to bottom reacts and performs. Next season is a different story.

It's clear Dubas really wants Thornton.
I'd love it and think it'd help with leadership and style of play, but don't see him wanting to be here.

Never got the impression he was a fan of the market here.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad