Free Agents and Trade Thread- Part VIII - Calm Before the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It's a little counter intuitive cap wise but I wonder if the plan is move Johnsson only if we land Pietro and need the cap space, and to move Soup if we don't.

A lot of us have written off AJ due to cap, but he's still a home grown player that brings a decent amount of fire, was a 20 goal 40 point rookie, and has shown the ability to come up huge in the closest thing the NHL playoffs. I could see trading him into a depressed market due to flat cap and his injury being really unappealing.

Soup and Engvall don't have the cap leverage moving AJ does, but still give us room to play.

Barabanov-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Hyman
Korshkov-xxx-Spezza @ 750k

Rielly- xxx
Muzzin-Holl
Lehtonen- Dermott @ 1.4 (half-way between hagg and Larsson, 2 years)
Marincin

4.94 to fil the spots, and that's still with Freddy in net.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd love to get Cirelli on this team and by all accounts he should be available due to Tampas cap situation. Would be nice to add him and deal one of Marner/Nylander. We save on the cap and get a solid two-way 2C with Selke potential. Shift Tavares to LW.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner/Nylander
Tavares - Cirelli - Mikheyev

That second line has the potential to be the best shutdown line in the league and gives the Matthews line offensive freedom. Assuming Cirelli comes in long term around 5.5 - 6 mill we save 1.5-5 mill depending on if we deal Nylander or Marner.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd love to get Cirelli on this team and by all accounts he should be available due to Tampas cap situation. Would be nice to add him and deal one of Marner/Nylander. We save on the cap and get a solid two-way 2C with Selke potential. Shift Tavares to LW.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner/Nylander
Tavares - Cirelli - Mikheyev

That second line has the potential to be the best shutdown line in the league and gives the Matthews line offensive freedom. Assuming Cirelli comes in long term around 5.5 - 6 mill we save 1.5-5 mill depending on if we deal Nylander or Marner.
I think Tampa would trade Cernak before Cerelli. I'd be happy with either.

Reactions: 35moog35

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Yeah, just give him the respect and sign him now. No harm in it.

I agree, if he’ll sign for league minimum I don’t know why they wouldn’t get it done right away. You have to fill that spot anyway and even with a bottom 6 re-shape I think he earned another year with his play.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If I were the leafs brass I would target the sharks and devils as trade partners.

To
Sharks
Andersen
Kerfoot

To
Leafs
2020 1st (30th overall I believe)
2020 3rd

Sharks need a starter in net and they need a good forward. Leafs gain cap and an additional late 1st and early 3rd rounder.

To
Devils
Dermott
Johnson

To Leafs
2020 1st (20th overall)

Devils need help on the backend and need forward help and this deal addresses both.
Leafs clear more cap and gain another first.

All total leafs clear 11.9 million in cap plus the 2 or 2.5 million dermott may have gotten. We also then have picks 15, 20, 30, 44, 67 etc. After these deals leafs only have to fill 3c, tandem goalie and 1 or two rd with approximately 18 mill total in cap to spend.

I won't rip this apart too much, but one I can't see SJ bringing in Andersen in without buying out Jones first, and even if they did, a 30th OA + 3rd for Andersen AND Kerfoot is a very lukewarm return for me, as is the return for Dermott + Johnsson. Very mediocre if not worse in terms of value for quality players.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Looks like the Oilers can afford Ekman-Larsson, without too many backflips, and if the cost is 1st., Jones/Bouchard/Broberg and a cap move where are they playing Klefbom and Nurse one on RD?

This seems like a cash inspired move by the Coyotes.

I can only see a Andersen - Kuemper deal that the Leafs could take advantage of when it comes to cash and the Coyotes.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Looks like the Oilers can afford Ekman-Larsson, without too many backflips, and if the cost is 1st., Jones/Bouchard/Broberg and a cap move where are they playing Klefbom and Nurse one on RD?

This seems like a cash inspired move by the Coyotes.

I can only see a Andersen - Kuemper deal that the Leafs could take advantage of when it comes to cash and the Coyotes.
Klefbom may be out for the season if he chooses to under go surgery.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I won't rip this apart too much, but one I can't see SJ bringing in Andersen in without buying out Jones first, and even if they did, a 30th OA + 3rd for Andersen AND Kerfoot is a very lukewarm return for me, as is the return for Dermott + Johnsson. Very mediocre if not worse in terms of value for quality players.
They aren't the most rock solid deals for the leafs but we gain a ton of picks and end up with just over 18 million in cap. Those extra picks and cap space allows us to reshape our d and bottom 6 forwards while still allowing us to keep the big 4 as well.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Might be the season to be out for ...

That would clear up cap space for the Oilers to make another move.
I thinks that's why the oilers are pushing so hard for oel. When klefbom returns i bet they trade nurse for a good winger.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
So if the 20th. overall lands Dermott and Johnsson, what would the 15th. overall garner?
It wouldn't garner anything because we will use it. Maybe trade the 20th plus liljegren for cernak, manson etc. Point is this allows us to draft a really good player at 15 and trade 20 plus for a rd and we can still land petro as well and still have picks 36, 44, 67 plus all the other late picks to resupply the prospect cupboards.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Might be the season to be out for ...

That would clear up cap space for the Oilers to make another move.

But would also increase the reliance on a guy like Broberg to step up. I think they're better off selling a Jones + RNH and then going shopping for a #2C.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It wouldn't garner anything because we will use it. Maybe trade the 20th plus liljegren for cernak, manson etc. Point is this allows us to draft a really good player at 15 and trade 20 plus for a rd and we can still land petro as well and still have picks 36, 44, 67 plus all the other late picks to resupply the prospect cupboards.

It still seems low value for those players.

Reactions: aingefan and kb

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
It may not be optimal but its for the good of the franchise. We don't know what will happen when matthews contract is up so if we're going to make moves then we might as well do it this offseason. With these moves we can add grit to the bottom six, a tandem goalie, and 1 high profile rd and another top 4 rd. It fills all of our offseason needs.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That is my impression. Manson and Cernak are not worth Johnsson, Dermott and Liljegren, if Johnsson and Dermott can only get 20th overall. I would not even trade two of those pieces for those guys without a significant plus coming on top of it.

Reactions: kb

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
How do those guys make our defense any better than it was last year? And why does everybody want to give Gudas term at $2.5M? He's a "meh" 3rd pairing guy at this point and we have plenty of options to fill those spots in Lehtonen/Dermott/Liljegren/Sandin/Rosen/Marincin/Kivihalme

If you can get Gudas or Demelo at around $1m you take a shot maybe and add to the depth but there is no way I give that kind of term and money in this market.

We need upgrades if we're adding $8.5M to our defense group.
I feel Hamonic is at a similar level to the second tier of top guys but may be valued less. I'm not sure any of these guys are major targets to play with Rielly. But, they are cheap cap hits and gritty defensive minded players that can play up and down the lineup. Gudas had a bad year, but was thought of rather highly before that as a shutdown player that plays very physical.

The team needs a couple RHD preferably. There is only so much you can do if Pietrangelo signs somewhere else and trades don't materialize. These guys under those contracts could be moved a year or two in I would think if they needed to make cap room for a better defenseman. Backup plans and secondary additions, not the main targets this offseason would be my intention with those three.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Yes, I think that indicates the Leafs #15 could land a youngish 2nd. pairing defender with term.

I am not that high on a 20th. overall pick, giving up two young(ish) NHL players for a gamble.
agree... Johnsson is a cost controlled 20+ top 6 player, he alone should be worth more then #20.
Johnsson > Kap, (except for age) in all aspects of the game, and his speed is not much less than Kap too, except Johnsson can also skate east/west, not only north/south.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I feel Hamonic is at a similar level to the second tier of top guys but may be valued less. I'm not sure any of these guys are major targets to play with Rielly. But, they are cheap cap hits and gritty defensive minded players that can play up and down the lineup. Gudas had a bad year, but was thought of rather highly before that as a shutdown player that plays very physical.

The team needs a couple RHD preferably. There is only so much you can do if Pietrangelo signs somewhere else and trades don't materialize. These guys under those contracts could be moved a year or two in I would think if they needed to make cap room for a better defenseman. Backup plans and secondary additions, not the main targets this offseason would be my intention with those three.

If you could get a Hamonic (and I've heard he can be had for less than he got last year) and another middle tier RD, I'd feel more confident.

Or they pay with assets and picks to get a 1st. pairing RD when they miss out on the top free agent.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I think you have to move one of or both Lil and Dermott
especially if people are talking about bringing in 2 dman vis fa/trade

Lil has either earned a spot on the team now or you trade him because if he hasn't his value is going to go down

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I agree about getting harder to play against and revamping out bottom 6.

Signing Spezza makes a lot of sense. He can fill in higher up the lineup if there are injuries to Tavares, Matthews or Kerfoot.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think you have to move one of or both Lil and Dermott
especially if people are talking about bringing in 2 dman vis fa/trade

Lil has either earned a spot on the team now or you trade him because if he hasn't his value is going to go down

Why would you trade Liljegren? He's super young and on a ELC. Dermott may have to be moved if they can't get him for under 1M

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Why would you trade Liljegren? He's super young and on a ELC. Dermott may have to be moved if they can't get him for under 1M
he's not super young, he's 21 and has 3 seasons at the AHL level
also i'd move Dermott

Reilly/FA
Sandin/Lil
Muzzin/Holl

then if the team is at a competing spot around trade deadline bring in a vet D and push Holl/Lil to 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad