Free Agents and Trade Thread- Part VII - Wheelin' and Dealin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Lets lose trades to open up cap space. Very sound thinking.
Yep, and this was the thought process for building a winner in the Pat Quinn era. Yeah, we got two final four appearances out of it, but we MASSIVELY shortened our window and f***ed ourselves over for a decade to do it. Yet, there are Leaf fans who would love to try again...

Reactions: kb

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Why does everyone want to trade Marner on here?
Grass is greener syndrome.

It's actually kind of hilarous; for YEARS, the constant whine is that the Leafs lack patience and never seem to have young talent. Now they have young talent, and everybody and their brother wants it out of here to go back to the teams they had 20 years ago... Which didn't win.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but Lebrun confirmed this morning that Ceci and Barrie are heading to free agency.

Dubas releasing Ceci and Barrie into the FA pool:

giphy.gif

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yep, and this was the thought process for building a winner in the Pat Quinn era. Yeah, we got two final four appearances out of it, but we MASSIVELY shortened our window and f***ed ourselves over for a decade to do it. Yet, there are Leaf fans who would love to try again...
Didn’t they traded Clark for Sundin during that time.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

It's actually kind of hilarous; for YEARS, the constant whine is that the Leafs lack patience and never seem to have young talent. Now they have young talent, and everybody and their brother wants it out of here to go back to the teams they had 20 years ago... Which didn't win.
Shanny's been here 6 years. Fans can make idol chatter all they want, but it is Dubas and Shanny who decide what moves to make and when. They signed JT and traded Kadri for a song and it is them that will decide whether to sign Petro. Whining about what we did in the Quinn era means shit to them.

At the end of the day the marleau trade should be an Indictation of just how much cap space is worth.

Reactions: 17 Clark

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Wood, Greenway, Virtanen, Anderson, Bennett have all been rumoured to be on the block. I still like the idea of Crouse and Arizona isn't doing well financially. If Toronto misses on Pietrangelo. At the very least, they can liquidate Johnsson and Kerfoot, maybe Engvall and fill their roles with some of these guys given who is available this offseason.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Wood, Greenway, Virtanen, Anderson, Bennett have all been rumoured to be on the block. I still like the idea of Crouse and Arizona isn't doing well financially. If Toronto misses on Pietrangelo. At the very least, they can liquidate Johnsson and Kerfoot, maybe Engvall and fill their roles with some of these guys given who is available this offseason.

Adding 2 or 3 of those names makes this team waaaaay more difficult to play against

Last edited:

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

It's sad the toll that negotiation and proceeding caphit last year took on Marner's reputation with fans and media. That guy could win a scoring title some season in the near future.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
It's sad the toll that negotiation and proceeding caphit last year took on Marner's reputation with fans and media. That guy could win a scoring title some season in the near future.

For me the logic to trade marner isnt because of a grudge from his negotiation. I think we need the cap space on defense and he has a big cap hit and can return a ton in a trade.

Realistically, the negotiation shtick is on his agent. Most smart players stay out of it since they are paying the agent for a reason.

Reactions: aingefan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wood-Bennett-Virtanen would be one hell of a fast annoying line to play against and would make a perfect 3rd line if you ask me.

I've wondered about a Bennett for Kerfoot swap of some sort.

We wouldn't need/get both Wood and Virtanen though. Robertson or Mikheyev will be the 3LW. Just need to see who the 3RW would be. I think the cost to acquire will be inflated.

Miles Wood would be interesting, depending on the cost though. A Wood - Bennett - Mikheyev third line could be promising.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Wood-Bennett-Virtanen would be one hell of a fast annoying line to play against and would make a perfect 3rd line if you ask me.

It would be physical, but it would be far from perfect. We are not having a 10 mill 3rd line whose main value is hitting people, because that would be the only thing they can do without an offensive driver on that line.

Add one to Kerfoot and Robertson/Mikheyev would be much better.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
It would be physical, but it would be far from perfect. We are not having a 10 mill 3rd line whose main value is hitting people, because that would be the only thing they can do without an offensive driver on that line.

I disagree completely, especially considering our 3rd line this year wasn't offensive at all either. Each of the players I listed are capable of 10-15 goals each and gives this team a backbone and brings something that we lack incredibly. Everyone keeps praising offense offense offense when you just witnessed Tampa win the cup and a huge reason was the play of Maroon-Gourde-Coleman. Every shift they would go full energy and dominated Dallas whenever on the ice.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Tom Fitzgerald's comments on Pietrangelo. Tampering or not, what say you? :popcorn:

"If (St. Louis Blues defenseman) Alex Pietrangelo became a free agent ... he's a franchise-turning player, a champion, captain, leader with character," Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald said. "If the agent called me, I'm taking it up (to Devils managing partners) Josh Harris and David Blitzer and the pros on why, even at this stage where we're at, where it can take us.

"Do I anticipate that happening? I can't answer that. Maybe he stays in St. Louis. However, we need to fill some holes and if I can do it through hockey trades, great. If I can do it through cap space, great. If I need to do it through a free agent or two, then we'll go that route, but we have some holes and I need to fill them."

Are you getting many phone calls for a potential trade for one of your draft picks?

"There's criteria to even consider that ... the age bracket, where this player is. The type of player and is he a good player? Whether it's a top-four defenseman or a complimentary top-six winger, I'm not just giving [picks] to rent the player for two years. To be honest, the uncertainty of what the market value is because of the flat cap, where teams are internally with budgets ... there's a lot of teams out there that are in a lot of trouble. I'm trying to sift through it all. I'd say the majority of the calls or things I kick around are utilizing cap space and listening to teams tell me how good the players they have to move are because of their cap. What I'm trying to do is navigate through the needs that we have. We've got some immediate needs that I want to improve but it's important to allow our kids to grow, develop, learn how to win and understand the League. It's also important to have good mentors around them that can guide them through a losing patch and keep them grounded through a winning stretch. That's what I'm trying to figure out. There's a lot of scenarios, a lot of strategies going through in my head. What's going to fall through the cracks in free agency to help?'"

Cached version of the quotes as they've been scrubbed from NHL.com. Which I choose to take as a tacit admission of guilt.

Devils could pursue Pietrangelo in free agency, GM says

Reactions: TML Dynasty

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I disagree completely, especially considering our 3rd line this year wasn't offensive at all either. Each of the players I listed are capable of 10-15 goals each and gives this team a backbone and brings something that we lack incredibly. Everyone keeps praising offense offense offense when you just witnessed Tampa win the cup and a huge reason was the play of Maroon-Gourde-Coleman. Every shift they would go full energy and dominated Dallas whenever on the ice.

Not without an offensive driver they are not. None of them can drive the play offensively. They all play on lines where someone else is generating the offense. It is like having a line consisting of Hyman's. Hyman with Matthews is great, but Hyman is not producing much if he has to be the one generating the offense himself.

If you want something like Tampa's third line, you need guys who can do more than just hit things. That is pretty much the entirety of the value those three players provide, unless they are riding shotgun with skilled guys. Find guys with more of a complete package, or stick with what we have, which is much better.

Reactions: Brobust

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Tom Fitzgerald's comments on Pietrangelo. Tampering or not, what say you? :popcorn:

"If (St. Louis Blues defenseman) Alex Pietrangelo became a free agent ... he's a franchise-turning player, a champion, captain, leader with character," Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald said. "If the agent called me, I'm taking it up (to Devils managing partners) Josh Harris and David Blitzer and the pros on why, even at this stage where we're at, where it can take us.

"Do I anticipate that happening? I can't answer that. Maybe he stays in St. Louis. However, we need to fill some holes and if I can do it through hockey trades, great. If I can do it through cap space, great. If I need to do it through a free agent or two, then we'll go that route, but we have some holes and I need to fill them."
Devils could pursue Pietrangelo in free agency, GM says

Uhhhh yes that's pretty clearly tampering.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I've wondered about a Bennett for Kerfoot swap of some sort.

We wouldn't need/get both Wood and Virtanen though. Robertson or Mikheyev will be the 3LW. Just need to see who the 3RW would be. I think the cost to acquire will be inflated.

Miles Wood would be interesting, depending on the cost though. A Wood - Bennett - Mikheyev third line could be promising.
Robertson is a little green to be given a spot imo, especially if there is a talented bruiser in place and the cap is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad