Free Agents and Trade Thread- Part VII - Wheelin' and Dealin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
A lot of people thought Perry was done, too.
So much this. Maybe I am stuck in the past, because I wanted Perry last year...but doesn't look like that would have been a bad choice. Solid contributer on a team that went to the cup final. And I'm one of a small handful it seems that wants to give Simmonds a chance this year. Will gladly admit I'm wrong if he doesn't work out

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Didn’t we hear some rumblings that he was annoyed by the trade and didn’t want to leave Col? He certainly played like a disinterested primadonna..

I heard the opposite. He was excited to be traded to Toronto but Dubas was very critical on how he was onboarded to the Leafs (that's a shot at Babcock).

Reactions: Brobust

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Trying to appease everyone with this trade.

:panthers
William Nylander
Morgan Rielly

:leafs
Aaron Ekblad
Spencer Knight
12th Overall Pick

I've seen worse but it's not great to me. If Ekblad is loosely equivalent to Rielly, then Nylander = Knight and the 12th OA. I compare that to murmurs of a Nylander to NY trade in which some speculation suggested 18th OA + Severson + Zacha, or 18th OA + Ty Smith. It's not bad from the sense that this replaces a #1LD with a #1RD and most of our depth is on the left side, so that helps. But the 12th OA + Knight roughly is IMO not enough for Nylander.

Reactions: Rocker13

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
You have to look at what it allows us to do cap wise. It offers enough flexibility to get some additional depth and fill up the roster.

I'm actually a huge Spencer Knight fan as well - he's legit.

Wrong. When trading players of that quality, you get full value back. You don't include who you may be able to sign with the cap space.

You get full value and you still go out and use the cap space. Being able to use the cap space doesn't make it okay to lose the trade.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Some stuff from Mirtle today

He has the Leafs trading the 15th overall at 50%, and thinks the only way they don't trade it is if they fill their d man need in FA.
There has been some talk internally about trading Hyman since he is in the last year, but Leafs won't do it. He is too important, and exploring a hometown discount is perferable since Hyman likely signs it.

He is less certain Andersen is dealt now then before with Lehner staying in Vegas, and Khodubin's performance but it could still happen. Other teams believe Leafs could be in on Markstorm.

If contract talks go awry, Leafs go trade Dermott.
Sources say Engvall is on the block.

One of the main reasons Gauthier will be qualified is apparently teams like him. The East teams in particular. They might give up something of value for him.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011

He has the Leafs trading the 15th overall at 50%, and thinks the only way they don't trade it is if they fill their d man need in FA.
There has been some talk internally about trading Hyman since he is in the last year, but Leafs won't do it. He is too important, and exploring a hometown discount is perferable since Hyman likely signs it.

He is less certain Andersen is dealt now then before with Lehner staying in Vegas, and Khodubin's performance but it could still happen. Other teams believe Leafs could be in on Markstorm.

One of the main reasons Gauthier will be qualified is apparently teams like him. The East teams in particular. They might give up something of value for him.
I wonder if they try working out a contract with Freddie/Hyman this summer. See if Freddie will sign for his AAV now or less.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

We don't know if we can fill our defenseman need in UFA before the draft... So how does that work unless we are trading for someone's rights? Or Dubas decides he is going to fill the need through UFA, but there are no guarantees.

Not overly surprised about anything else. Makes sense there is interest in Gauthier and Engvall, since they can be solid 4th liners for cheap. Engvall especially could intrigue a lot of teams needing a cheap guy with upside, and may be able to help us get something we need more. I don't think Dubas really wants to move him, but if he has value and interest, then he is not untouchable.

Surprised he did not mention anything about Johnsson.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
will be a punch in my gut if they trade Hyman... hopefully he stays a leaf...
Unless they get two younger Hymans.

I’d have one on every line.

Like, if there was an offer of an ELC version of Hyman and a mid 20 pick to get a future Hyman (like Holloway) then sure.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Wrong. When trading players of that quality, you get full value back. You don't include who you may be able to sign with the cap space.

You get full value and you still go out and use the cap space. Being able to use the cap space doesn't make it okay to lose the trade.

Cap space is an asset. Doesn't mean you shouldn't still try to get good players back, but it's not something that you shouldn't value.

Lack of cap space cost us a first round pick last year, so it's not like this should be an incomprehensible concept to Leafs Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->