Free Agents and Trade Thread- Part VII - Wheelin' and Dealin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
No to Petro. Sign two good D to pair with what we've got, at a lesser cost. Morgan Rielly is a heck of a player, please put him with a quality partner and watch him shine. His partner will benefit, too. Muzzin with a DeMelo, a whomever, good solid pairing. Dermott with Lehtonen, or Holl...as a 3rd D pairing, that's good stuff. Shuffling our forwards for theirs, we gain the grit people desire (and I think necessary) and quite likely benefit cap wise. Petro is good, no doubt, but we want a team, not 5 players +

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
@Brobust

You mentioned Marleau had his 3rd year signing bonus owed in December?

Just another reason to take more shots at Lou and his team. They could have offered Marleau 9x2 instead of 6.25x3... Literally no reason to give him that third year when we had boatloads of cap space for 2/3 years of that contract. He could have thrown another 1x8M at a free agent valued at 5M or something like that to grab them for one year. We had no creativity with the situation we were in.

At the bare minimum don't handcuff the next guy by not paying Marleau his SB before the season starts. If Marleau had not been owed 3M SB then maybe we can trade him with a 2nd instead of a 1st.

Then we would be looking at 13 & 15th overall. What an absolute joke by Lou Lam and his team.

Boils my blood that someone can be so incompetent. Yet I look around Hfboards and I bet when Askarov goes @ 13 at our original pick to Carolina some will find a way to pin it on Dubas

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
No to Petro. Sign two good D to pair with what we've got, at a lesser cost. Morgan Rielly is a heck of a player, please put him with a quality partner and watch him shine. His partner will benefit, too. Muzzin with a DeMelo, a whomever, good solid pairing. Dermott with Lehtonen, or Holl...as a 3rd D pairing, that's good stuff. Shuffling our forwards for theirs, we gain the grit people desire (and I think necessary) and quite likely benefit cap wise. Petro is good, no doubt, but we want a team, not 5 players +

And then 1 year from now when we lose 1 of those 2 good D? Back to the drawing board?

Thats even if we can get 2 good D considering they are likely going to want ED protection

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And then 1 year from now when we lose 1 of those 2 good D? Back to the drawing board?

Thats even if we can get 2 good D considering they are likely going to want ED protection

Agreed.

Rielly, Petro
Muzzin, Holl
then 2 of Dermott, Lehtonen, Sandin and Liljegren.

(I’m starting to like the idea of trading Dermott for Georgiev, and signing Georgiev to a Saros like contract) - Trade Freddy for best return possible. Move Johnsson. Keep Kerfoot. Look to sign Mikheyev to the best term versus AAV value we can get. Would love to sign him for 4 years depending on the AAV that would cost

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

And then 1 year from now we can decide who we wish to protect based on their play. Yes, back to the board, because I'll take the growth and strength of our advantages at F. I anticipate a decent development curve for Sandin and Liljegren. Trade for Manson, sign DeMelo (as examples) and you're less affected cap wise than signing Petro, while being able to present 3 decent D pairings.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Agreed.

Rielly, Petro
Muzzin, Holl
then 2 of Dermott, Lehtonen, Sandin and Liljegren.

(I’m starting to like the idea of trading Dermott for Georgiev, and signing Georgiev to a Saros like contract) - Trade Freddy for best return possible. Move Johnsson. Keep Kerfoot. Look to sign Mikheyev to the best term versus AAV value we can get. Would love to sign him for 4 years depending on the AAV that would cost

Disagree, you're asking for one of our principle F to be traded. I think the balance works in favor if signing two decent/good D and letting what we have already, shine.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If you can hit on those two players, sure but Petro is a sure thing, the other two may or may not be. See Ceci and Barrie.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If you can hit on those two players, sure but Petro is a sure thing, the other two may or may not be. See Ceci and Barrie.

Right. Brodie’s numbers away from Gio aren’t great. Tanev has a long injury history. Hamonic was awful. Gustafsson is Meh.

Like, who are these perfect fit two d-man, one of which we are okay giving up in the expansion draft?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I would really like to see the team try and sign Maroon, only if we can keep his cap hit 1 million or under, which I'm not sure is possible until I see the market.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not sure which two players you are referring to? DeMelo and ? , or Lehtonen and ?

Any two not named Petro that are "free" come with no guarantees to be able to help our D whereas Petro is a guarantee.

I would be OK starting the year with Petro, Holl and Dermott/Lehtonen on the right side. Demelo is making 990K this season. I'd be happy to sign him for 1.75-2 x 2 or 3 although we probably lose him in the expansion draft but that gives Lily one more make or break year.

Reactions: kb

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Any two not named Petro that are "free" come with no guarantees to be able to help our D whereas Petro is a guarantee.

I would be OK starting the year with Petro, Holl and Dermott/Lehtonen on the right side. Demelo is making 990K this season. I'd be happy to sign him for 1.75-2 x 2 or 3 although we probably lose him in the expansion draft but that gives Lily one more make or break year.

Free is not something I care about. 2 solid additions are. Give me Manson/Savard/DeMelo/etc. to augment what we have and I'm good. There are, of course, others. Dermott/Lehtonen on the right side suggests Sandin on the 3rd pair LD. I want him to gain strength with the Marlies. He's going to be good. I want him advanced when he's capable, I don't want him rushed because his talents are recognized and hurried.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Free is not something I care about. 2 solid additions are. Give me Manson/Savard/DeMelo/etc. to augment what we have and I'm good. There are, of course, others. Dermott/Lehtonen on the right side suggests Sandin on the 3rd pair LD. I want him to gain strength with the Marlies. He's going to be good. I want him advanced when he's capable, I don't want him rushed because his talents are recognized and hurried.

Sure if Dubas can find the right 2 dmen although he failed at his first attempt last year.

Manson will cost you and he might not be available. Savard would be a nice add for AJ/Kerfoot/Andy. Demelo, sure.

But given the choice, I take Petro over any two available dmen that will not cost you Nylander or Marner.

Reactions: CincoHolio and kb

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Like if the projected cost for Petro was still in the 10M range, I’d get it.

We can add a top 5 NHL d-man in the 8-9M range?

No brainer.

I think we clear space to make an 8, maybe 8.5 offer that gives him a blank space on structure. At that number we can ice a solid team that gives us a two year window with the big 4, that has some remaining wiggle room to re-sign Hyman next season and take advantage of depth opportunities

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

No brainer.
Yeah, adding a star defenseman is just better than a couple of stop gaps. Tanev and DeMelo might be passable, but they just don't have anywhere near the same impact that Pietrangelo would on the lineup as a whole. He can play in any situation and help the Leafs, and the other 2 are basically just good enough to not be major liabilities

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

No brainer.
In a "normal" year, Petro gets a minimum of the Josi deal and there is virtually no way to fit him in without moving Marner. With COVID, he is on sale for $8-$8.5m.
100% I wouldn't be able to stomach Pietrangelo if he were to make the 10-11 he would get in a "normal" off-season. Getting him for potentially 8-8.5 is an absolute no-brainer.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

No brainer.

Yep.

I know his age and our cap structure are a thing but “only” 8-9 million for Petro is actually a damn good deal IMO.

Reactions: kb

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
In a "normal" year, Petro gets a minimum of the Josi deal and there is virtually no way to fit him in without moving Marner. With COVID, he is on sale for $8-$8.5m.
But in a normal year the cap goes up, so the difference means same %cap aav. Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad