GDT: Free Agent Lull-zy - Summer 2015

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Rutherford is a more reliable source when it comes to the Blues, and he's said there could be a deal in place involving Shattenkirk and a forward (not Tarasenko).

Gonna be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Rutherford, like Dreger has been wrong about rumors countless times.

Except he's often wrong about the team he covers. Dreger covers the entire league.

Meh. I'll believe it when I see it. (Shattenkirk getting dealt)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't see it happening either, but I can dream, and there's at least a bit to back it up with.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not surprised at all. He's lost about six steps in the last two seasons.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Still had a 20 goal, 50 point season.

His body is likely banged up and his heart no longer in the game.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Eh, could be worse. Brouwer's a decent replacement, they're ridiculously deep up front still, and they pick up some futures.

Not a good trade though. Unless there's something we don't know, I don't think they got full value for him as a player.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't have minded signing Williams to that 2 year deal. Could have been a nice depth guy, and may have worked well with our top line

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I wouldn't have minded signing Williams to that 2 year deal. Could have been a nice depth guy, and may have worked well with our top line

2 years at that money is very reasonable. It's less than I expected he'd get, and its gonna be tough to think we could have had Enroth and Williams for what we are paying Niemi.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
2 years at that money is very reasonable. It's less than I expected he'd get, and its gonna be tough to think we could have had Enroth and Williams for what we are paying Niemi.

Yeah that's a tough one. Could have went after Oduya also, well we still can

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia

Apologies for being cynical here but...

The nhl needs a stanley cup winner each year...as well ad a 30th placed cellar dwellar..its also needs mediocre "meh" teams to finish in the 14th to 20th type spot each year...which is where weve sat each of the last 6 years. ..one year where we scraped into the playoffs gave us renewed hope but after what was followed this year...back to... meh.

With the exception of val who fell in our laps our 1st round picks in each year have been underwhelming. .

Unfortunately I see no reason why we improve next year into a top team in our conference. .same with the year after...

Failing to be excited about our future.. I hope im 100% wrong...but unfortunately I dont see any reason why We rise next year. ..disappointing that our gm appears happy with the staus quo...and wont address the biggest area weve needed help and change in the last 6 years.

Unfortunately I see us sitting in the 14th to 20th best spots for years to come...pretty big waste of premier offensive talent

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Understand the post above. Of course, its always hard to buy the "we will improve internally" line of thinking, except for maybe the young D, where we have enough prospects that at least a few will hit in addition to Klinger and Nemeth.

Problem with that is, our core is Benn and Seguin, plus Klinger, all about 25. Their prime years will be the next 4-5 years, and that is when we need to gear to win.

Sometimes, young D men take that long to mature, and be in their prime. So, if we can't acquire a sub 30 year old prime guy, we may still have the D merry go round.

Our goalie situation seems set for 3 of those 5 years, and they will be past their prime, in all likelihood. Will that team, with a rookie JC or Desrosiers still be a contender?

I presume we can keep a group of forwards around Benn and Seguin, although, see the cap problems of PIT and CHI (which Chicago has overcome, PIT has not....which will we be when our big guns get market contracts?

Short version, it is always difficult to build a roster that all comes together at one time, usually for a 2-3 year span at their peak, a la the 1998-2000 Stars. The six year run of the Hawks is nothing short of amazing, and I don't think we have the overall talent level they do. In addition to the two FW, they have had top 2 D in place that whole time, which we simply don't have and don't have a clear plan to have, other than "wait and see what we can get at a reasonable price and/or let the kids develop.

It was sure easier back in the hey day, where Gainey bought a team of ready for prime time vets to supplement his core in their prime.

BTW, missing out on the Hamilton trade, which would have been absolutely perfect for us, and maybe a few other trades mentioned are hard to take, but this is what fans of other teams probably felt like the last two years when the Stars seemingly won the off season, by obtaining the supposedly impossible - two top centers.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
Ward will be good for the guppies. Who the hell are we even looking at at this point? Franson? Erhoff?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Bonuses are escrow proof. It's impressive to get that much money AND have it free and clear.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
To be honest, I think Nill is wondering if Oduya or Franson is really better than what he has on D. Oduya was second pair on Chicago, and we have enough of those, so you would have to argue second Pair on the champs is first pair with us.

Franson was a 1-2 on a terrible TOR team, and a 5-6 or scratch with a good D team in NSH. Hard to know, but would certainly have to be a bounceback type of bet.

For trades, Shatty is an intriguing possibility, Dion is not.

Not sure who else might be out there on D that would fit the No. 1 pair criteria. If it ain't number one, then we might as well play the youth and save money for signing Benn, Seguin, etc., and maybe pick up some depth forward, hopefully a better version of Hemsky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad