GDT: Free Agent Lull-zy - Summer 2015

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Crazy idea and I'm playing fantasy here...

Stars need a #1 defender, Blues need a #1 center, Canadiens are having some issues signing Galchenyuk, it sounds like.

Team | Receives | Gives Up
Stars|Kevin Shattenkirk|Trevor Daley, Jason Dickinson, Jamie Oleksiak, 2016 Dallas 2nd
Blues|Alex Galchenyuk, Trevor Daley, 2016 Dallas 2nd|Kevin Shattenkirk, Patrik Berglund
Canadiens|Patrik Berglund, Jason Dickinson, Jamie Oleksiak|Alex Galchenyuk

Stars upgrade Daley to Shattenkirk (#1 defender) at the cost of a couple solid, almost NHL ready prospects and a decent pick.

Blues pick up a possible #1 center, someone they could covet. They lose Shattenkirk but they've got the depth to afford it - they still have Pietr and Bouw, as well as a strong pipeline of defensive prospects.

Canadiens move Galchenyuk who seems to be disgruntled with their management, recouping a couple good prospects and a middle six forward who can slot in anywhere. They don't lose much at all off of their current roster and add for the future.

Not sure the Habs would go for that, but I think something like that could work. I'm almost certainly just spit-balling though :laugh:

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Stars need a #1 defender, Blues need a #1 center, Canadiens are having some issues signing Galchenyuk, it sounds like.

Stars|Kevin Shattenkirk|Trevor Daley, Jason Dickinson, Jamie Oleksiak, 2016 Dallas 2nd
Blues|Alex Galchenyuk, Trevor Daley, 2016 Dallas 2nd|Kevin Shattenkirk, Patrik Berglund
Canadiens|Patrik Berglund, Jason Dickinson, Jamie Oleksiak|Alex Galchenyuk

Not sure the Habs would go for that, but I think something like that could work. I'm almost certainly just spit-balling though :laugh:

Does Galchenyuk really solve their #1C problems? At least not immediately, I'd think.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Does Galchenyuk really solve their #1C problems? At least not immediately, I'd think.

No, but people said Seguin wouldn't solve ours either. Similar situation to me.

They're not going to get a legitimate #1 center in a trade without gutting the rest of their team.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
No, but people said Seguin wouldn't solve ours either. Similar situation to me.

They're not going to get a legitimate #1 center in a trade without gutting the rest of their team.

But Seguin was Bruins' top scorer in 2012 and 3rd in 2013. Galchenyuk has not shown that kind of offensive prowess.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
But Seguin was Bruins' top scorer in 2012 and 3rd in 2013. Galchenyuk has not shown that kind of offensive prowess.

He hasn't been given the chances, but that's true.

I think he's the best option St. Louis has at this point, if they're serious about getting a #1 center.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
He hasn't been given the chances, but that's true.

I think he's the best option St. Louis has at this point, if they're serious about getting a #1 center.

That may very well be true, but whether he immediately starts performing at a level required for a team in a win-now mode is another thing. If Galchenyuk were somewhere in the vicinity of Seguin's production in Boston, there'd be no conversation about him being moved. It was sheer stupidity and hastiness on Bruins' part that landed us Seguin.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Boston really blowing it up.

Flames seem to have gotten better.

Red Wings just getting older and more expensive.

I hope the Stars do some kind of Shattenkirk deal, and the 3 way fives some cover for trading a good player within the division to the Blues.

I have to wonder, with an 8th seed and a DNQ in the last two playoff years, can Nill really be happy with his roster for next year by just adding Niemi? Wouldn't that be insanity (dong the same thing again and expecting a different result?)

Go Jim Nill!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I have to wonder, with an 8th seed and a DNQ in the last two playoff years, can Nill really be happy with his roster for next year by just adding Niemi? Wouldn't that be insanity (dong the same thing again and expecting a different result?)

Yes, it would be insane to not do anything to our roster over the summer outside of Niemi.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX

Flames seem to have gotten better.

Red Wings just getting older and more expensive.

I hope the Stars do some kind of Shattenkirk deal, and the 3 way fives some cover for trading a good player within the division to the Blues.

Go Jim Nill!

While I would like to see additional improvement on defense, if all we do is consider adding Nemeth and Nichushkin to be our offseason upgrades, I won't be too upset. Defense and goaltending simply cannot be that horrendous again, and should make the difference in fighting for a playoff spot. If were close around the trade deadline, I could see us making a move at that point.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It is possible. A full year of Klingberg, Nemeth and Val would all yield improvements.

Ditto a year of growth for Jiri, even Eakin, Ritchie, Mackenzie, etc.

But there are also some subtractions in Horcoff, Cole, etc.

Spilled Milk, for sure, but Hamiton would have been the Cats Moew, Shatty would be pretty good, too on D.

Depending on length of term, why not use your cap space to get a few more high impact players in here?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It is possible. A full year of Klingberg, Nemeth and Val would all yield improvements.

Ditto a year of growth for Jiri, even Eakin, Ritchie, Mackenzie, etc.

But there are also some subtractions in Horcoff, Cole, etc.

Spilled Milk, for sure, but Hamiton would have been the Cats Moew, Shatty would be pretty good, too on D.

Depending on length of term, why not use your cap space to get a few more high impact players in here?

If the Stars make moves, I expect it to be short term deals via trade. Grabner or Kelly don't pose long term obstacles while shoring up the bottom 6 if their teams want to move these deals for almost nothing. Patience is necessary to get favorable terms from the trade or UFA market this year. But don't expect this to be an active summer for the Stars because Nill doesn't want to block our prospects.

LT

Jul 23, 2010

Blues|Alex Galchenyuk, Trevor Daley|Kevin Shattenkirk, Patrik Berglund
Canadiens|Patrik Berglund, Jason Dickinson, Jamie Oleksiak, 2016 Dallas 2nd|Alex Galchenyuk

Stars upgrade Daley to Shattenkirk (#1 defender) at the cost of a couple solid, almost NHL ready prospects and a decent pick.

Blues pick up a possible #1 center, someone they could covet. They lose Shattenkirk but they've got the depth to afford it - they still have Pietr and Bouw, as well as a strong pipeline of defensive prospects.

Canadiens move Galchenyuk who seems to be disgruntled with their management, recouping a couple good prospects and a middle six forward who can slot in anywhere. They don't lose much at all off of their current roster and add for the future.

Changed who got our 2nd, seems a bit more fair now.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

They shipped out Savard's contract in that Reilly Smith deal, so that is good for them. Plus, I'm hearing a lot about Smith being somewhat of a floater and not very effective on the PP or PK for the Bruins. Could be a case of good old fashioned "Boston Farewell." :D

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think Montreal moves Galchenyuk without a 1st coming back their way.

From what I read yesterday they're still negotiating with him. I don't think they'll have a problem getting something done.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
While I would like to see additional improvement on defense, if all we do is consider adding Nemeth and Nichushkin to be our offseason upgrades, I won't be too upset. Defense and goaltending simply cannot be that horrendous again, and should make the difference in fighting for a playoff spot. If were close around the trade deadline, I could see us making a move at that point.

If we dont make any more moves other than resigning oleksiak who will only be a 6/7th d this year anyway I doubt we will improve from our bottom 3 ranking in goals allowed...sadly in the power division were in.. we wont be making the playoffs if thats the case.

top 4 d has to be changed and someone brought in..probably by trade as the likely route.

I think nill needs to be bold and risk a high draft pick to improve the defense and capitlise on our strong offense..

id offer a package of something like this...

daley
Faksa or dickinson
1st rd pick in 2016

Not sure whos available but im sure if we targeted a top 2/4 d..that package would attract alot of value in return...

this team needs a difference maker on defense. .. hopefully nill is in the same boat with that view

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I agree we need at least one D, top 2 preferred. If you have a problem, you have to MAKE SURE you fix it. Adding a better backup goalie only fixes it for about 20-25 games. Kari may still be a problem (although I am fairly confident he will bounce back) but the D must be fixed, too, just to be sure.

For that matter, perhaps Ruff institutes a bit more of a (boring) D first mentality, which may have really been the cause of our problems last year, along with too many rookie D.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
If we dont make any more moves other than resigning oleksiak who will only be a 6/7th d this year anyway I doubt we will improve from our bottom 3 ranking in goals allowed...sadly in the power division were in.. we wont be making the playoffs if thats the case.

top 4 d has to be changed and someone brought in..probably by trade as the likely route.

I think nill needs to be bold and risk a high draft pick to improve the defense and capitlise on our strong offense..

id offer a package of something like this...

daley
Faksa or dickinson
1st rd pick in 2016

Not sure whos available but im sure if we targeted a top 2/4 d..that package would attract alot of value in return...

this team needs a difference maker on defense. .. hopefully nill is in the same boat with that view

I think management is relying on the influence of a new goalie coach on Lehtonen resulting in his eliminating the 28 extra goals he gave up last season compared to the one before and Niemi should fix what was a tire fire of a back-up situation in Lindback. I certainly hope they've something cooking behind the scenes to add to the defense because if the Lehtonen-Niemi combo tanks, then the season is definitely doomed. Besides adding a blueline player, I wouldn't mind dumping Garbutt for Fehr or a similar shutdown guy.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Some more smoke regarding Shattenkirk, sounds like he and a "big" forward might have a new home sometime soon, according to their beatwriter.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Some more smoke regarding Shattenkirk, sounds like he and a "big" forward might have a new home sometime soon, according to their beatwriter.

That could be a reference to size rather than reputation, in which case, all signs could point to Berglund.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad