GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How many real costly panic moves has BM actually made? I think the fear is a bit unfounded.
At the same time the team has essentially been competitive for most of bms time here and this is kinda a new thing. He prob felt comfortable lol it’s his job…. I assume the comfort is close to gone by now

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
I may be out to lunch, just want to understand if the Ducks are open to trading Gibson and if yes, what the asking price would be?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I may be out to lunch, just want to understand if the Ducks are open to trading Gibson and if yes, what the asking price would be?
I think they are open to anyone not named zegras/Drysdale and probably getzlaf until the deadline.

They would want young, cost controlled assets ready to make an NHL impact.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
I think they are open to anyone not named zegras/Drysdale and probably getzlaf until the deadline.

They would want young, cost controlled assets ready to make an NHL impact.

Does it mean no interest in 1st round picks at all?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Does it mean no interest in 1st round picks at all?
I don't think Anaheim is interested in straight draft pick compensation at this point. Doesn't mean they hate picks, they are just aiming for more readiness in deals now.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
At the same time the team has essentially been competitive for most of bms time here and this is kinda a new thing. He prob felt comfortable lol it’s his job…. I assume the comfort is close to gone by now
On the flip side we know they want to get rid of Rico and they haven't paid anyone to take him yet either. I kind of doubt he has as much pressure on him as some around here would like to believe.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It almost feels like the Ducks are in an awkward spot with Adams because they have these two great prospects that probably aren't worth trading for a guy with injury concerns. if they had somebody a little below that instead, Adams would probably be looking at that kid - say a Turcotte-level or so - and it might be easier to part with him

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
It almost feels like the Ducks are in an awkward spot with Adams because they have these two great prospects that probably aren't worth trading for a guy with injury concerns. if they had somebody a little below that instead, Adams would probably be looking at that kid - say a Turcotte-level or so - and it might be easier to part with him

Ya, I have no idea, but I feel a deal would be easier to make if we had a guy ranked 20-30ish as opposed to top 10 or outside top 50. I guess Mctavish would be closest to that.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Sometimes, the best trades are the ones you don’t do. I think BM is at that point and I am fine with that.

my guess is in BM’s career there have been many more trades he did not do that he should have, than ones he did do and were mistakes.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Interesting that at 4:40 GMBM mentions getting "another center" when discussing Zegras. He wants Eichel IMO.

I did not hear it that way at all.

I think he was saying that its too early to know if the kids (Mason and Zegras) will stick at center, and if they don't they will need to get "another center".

I heard something different. Don't start watching it the 4:40 mark, but it's lacking a whole lot of context. Start at the 4:03 mark. I think Bob was referring to Zegras being the only center and when they drafted McTavish, then that gave the team a 1-2 punch down the middle. But Bob also questioned if Zegras can stick at center, thus alluding that Mason could be his centerman. Mason is the get "another center".

Reactions: Masch78

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I dunno about that. Remember when info got that Rico knew the team would be rebuilding when he signed his extension? You gotta figure Bob relayed this possibility to the Samueli's. And recently, he told the Samueli's that the top teams today are built through the draft. Now, Bob still went after some trades such at D Faulk and C PLD, big name players. He also went grabbed low key players to fit a specific role such as most of the trade deadline moves, but also nabbing extra first round picks in 2019 and 2020.

After seeing all of the money being thrown about in FA, Murray predicted this trend and avoided putting his team in cap hell into the future. This cap factor is often amiss when constructing a team that can sustain itself year after year. I don't want a Burkie situation where he left us high and dry with cap problems as well as no talent in our cupboard.

The fact that Murray is holding out on trading either franchise player in Zegras and Drysdale means he is not in a panic. If we do nothing, then we at least will be able to see Zegras and Drysdale at the NHL level. That's actually not a bad deal, but also not great as we're going to need a lot to go well for us to be a fringe playoff team. I don't want to part with either Zegras or Drysdale because they are franchise players. The Ducks nearly gave away a franchise player in Perry in 2003, but was saved by a botched deal because Edmonton. On the flip side, if we lose, then we get yet another high end pick and this coming draft is deeper with top end talent than the 2021 group. People forget that 2021 was considered a weak group, but also the year of the defensemen. And yet three centers were taken in the top-5 picks. Go figure. LoL

If we're all expecting both Zegras and Drysdale to compete for the Calder, then maybe the outlook for our team isn't that dire. We just can't be thirsty because being thirsty will often make you overpay by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad