GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Until he's traded back to Dallas at the trade deadline ...

See you soon old friend.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
How much cap space does Dallas have? This forum is saying around 5-6mil and I just listened to Garrett Jones podcast and he said 10mil. He als said he hopes Dallas offers Coleman 7 a year on a long term deal. I hope that is never true. Really expensive 3rd line player if that is the case.

I've never heard of Garrett Jones, but if he's saying this ... he's not a great source so I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt.

CapFriendly has Dallas' space at $6.7,27,928 when you add the space you save by not carrying Oettinger on the active roster. I get why they're listing him there for the moment, but for arguments sake I'm just going to say it's not necessary.

If you're looking for how much money they have to sign Kiviranta and a Top 4 D or any other players they may want to sign, they really only have about $5.115 in cap space, and you can probably expect Kiviranta to get around $1 to $1.5 million. Suter is rumored to be in the $3.5 to $4 range.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
If you're curious about what that roster looks like with a little over $5 million in cap space .....

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Mascherin/Damiani-Seguin-Radulov
***Kiviranta***-Benn-Gurianov
Caamano-Faksa-Comeau
Kero

Heiskanen-**********
Lindell-Klingberg
Harley-Sekera
Hanley

Bishop
Khudobin

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Say you think you can genuinely sign Kiviranta, Top 9 Forward, and a Top 4 D .... the space for that is about $750K more ... what I marked for a 2nd rookie to make the team.

You can spend $5.865 million on Kivi, Top 9 and a Top 4. Gets super, super tight if Suter really is getting close to $4.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I like Suter, was a big fan of his dad when he played he in Calgary. I was also alittle kid, but he was a fan favourite. Anyways, If it’s no more the. 3.5 then I can live with 4 years, but I really don’t want to see 4M for 4 years.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Stars looking for a Top 4 D and depth forward according to DeFranks

The only one that makes absolutely no sense on that list is Palmieri. You can't sign Suter and Palmieri without trading salaries. Palmieri's value took a hit after a rough year, but he had a very good post-season.

I get where DeFranks is coming from that Palmieri could land on a 1-year prove-it deal, but he'll be closer to Hoffman's deal than Haula's deal last off-season. I don't expect him to get $4 like Hoffman on a prove-it deal, but it's also not going to likely be under $2 million either.

Tatar is more realistic than Palmieri for the opposite reason, and DeFranks listed him as well. Great regular seasons and non-existent playoffs.

The major theme on DeFranks list is over 35 meaning they're eligible for bonuses to artificially lower the cap hit. I don't think that's a coincidence, and without other corresponding moves, that's basically Dallas' best option for depth that's not a rookie.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I feel like right now ... if you're looking to manufacture some excitement to salvage tomorrow ... here are your options.

1) Feign excitement for every dollar under $4 million Suter signs for.

2) Surprise Klingberg extension if you're in that camp.

Now some of you may have to reluctantly agree to this, but if Nill somehow gets anything under 4 years ... so 3 or less ... and anything under $3 million for Suter (which is a long shot), you got to give the guy props. Suter's team has been doing everything possible to get 4 years and in the $3 to $4 million range. They've told anyone that will listen. Maybe that was just a ploy to get Dallas to panic ... maybe that's what they get. If Dallas gets him for less ... got to give props to Nill for calling the bluff.

If you want any long-shot optimism ... maybe that's why there were reports from multiple sources Suter makes his decision on Monday ... and then out of no where when Monday comes around, that changes.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In case anyone was still wondering whether or not we have a chance at Coleman...at that price helll no

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I've never heard of Garrett Jones, but if he's saying this ... he's not a great source so I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt.

CapFriendly has Dallas' space at $6.7,27,928 when you add the space you save by not carrying Oettinger on the active roster. I get why they're listing him there for the moment, but for arguments sake I'm just going to say it's not necessary.

If you're looking for how much money they have to sign Kiviranta and a Top 4 D or any other players they may want to sign, they really only have about $5.115 in cap space, and you can probably expect Kiviranta to get around $1 to $1.5 million. Suter is rumored to be in the $3.5 to $4 range.
This is why I ask. I’m hearing around 5-6 on here. This guy Garrett and I never heard of him either says 10. Dallas morning news is saying 7.33. Guess it is a mystery.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Hawks can't re-sign their RFA's now. Seabrook would've gone LTIR . Johnson is not.

They've made their roster a whole lot more expensive but how much better is it really ?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
2016 - miss out on signing Stamkos. Sign Hudler/Korpikoski/Hamhuis

2017 - sign Radulov/Pitlick/Hanzal

2018 - miss out on signing Tavares. Sign Comeau/Polak. Bring back Nichushkin.

2019 - sign Pavelski (3x7M), Perry, Sekera. Bought out Nichushkin.

2020 - re-sign Faksa/Hintz/Gurianov/Khudobin/Sekera. I like where the team is at.

2021 - Suter? No room to do anything? I like where the team is at???? Everyone around us is getting better??????

Didn't even know that was a thing. Stamkos was never going to leave TB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad