Free Agent Frenzy

What are the Preds going to do with the cap space available?

• Total voters

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It may not be an increase in the cap per se, but how contracts are counted towards the cap could change slightly. Even in your scenario where the AHL team is with the NHL team that makes it far easier to be comfortable carrying 20 guys versus the situation where you would need to physically bring the player to where you are.

I guess it'll depend what happens with the AHL, but I find it very unlikely that they have a normalish season. If the NHL is hurting this hard with no/limited fans it has to be near impossible for the AHL. If nothing else there are three Canadian teams with American affiliates so they definitely can't play normally. I suppose you could have the AHL team just move to the market of the teams they are an affiliate for this season?
I personally don’t think it’d be right for them to mess with how contracts count against the cap or the cap level. Some teams have already made moves (trades, buyouts, etc) to set themselves up for a given cap number. to change how it works this late in the game would be punitive to teams that already made moves.

Reactions: Scoresberg

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'll be honest. I'd rather kick the tires on a trade, or re-sign a REALLY cheap Granlund and turn rookies into press box boys.

I'm insane but I'd kick the tires on Stamkos, resign Granlund on the cheap.

EDIT: or MaxPac

Last edited:

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I’m beginning to think maybe Kunin was taken to end up enhancing a trade offer. You know, I’ll trade you Kunin(a prospect with a full year in the NHL) and a ??rd pick for Player X.
He’s just been sitting around unsigned for a long, long time. Maybe the Preds never intended for him to play here.
I am intrigued by him though and would like to see him compete for a roster spot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It would be awesome if they upped the roster max to 26 to account for the lack of player movement to the AHL... but still kept the same cap and applied it to all 26 players. Awesome for us, anyway. :D

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
So Vegas looking to unload a forward, possibly even Pacioretty. Wonder what the price would be for him.. but I wouldn't mind taking a run at Marchessault or Reilly Smith.

Plenty of options as we get closer to season. Vegas and Tampa are now the big ones.. Carolina could try to move Dzingel & Niederraiter. Then there's of course Hoffman.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
So Vegas looking to unload a forward, possibly even Pacioretty. Wonder what the price would be for him.. but I wouldn't mind taking a run at Marchessault or Reilly Smith.

Plenty of options as we get closer to season. Vegas and Tampa are now the big ones.. Carolina could try to move Dzingel & Niederraiter. Then there's of course Hoffman.
I'd be fine with Marchessault, Smith, or Patches. They'd all be good additions. I'm not sure what the price would be though. They've got to make some room but those players are actually desirable vs what Tampa is trying to unload.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'd be fine with Marchessault, Smith, or Patches. They'd all be good additions. I'm not sure what the price would be though. They've got to make some room but those players are actually desirable vs what Tampa is trying to unload.

Agreed. If it was my decision, I'd rather go for someone with some size or physicality. That's why I think Killorn could be a good fit, he could be had cheap and would fill a much-needed role for us.

Patches I think is too expensive, since he's coming off a 70-pt season and has term.

Reilly Smith could be an interesting option as well, a similar player to Craig Smith, but has been dynamite in the playoffs throughout his career.

Marchessault would be a really nice addition for us, he's on a decent contract, has term and has been a stellar producer the last few years. Only problem with him is that he'd be another smaller guy to an already pretty small top-6 forward core. I think his price tag would also be higher than Smith's or Killorn's. But I wouldn't complain if we got him.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Shea Weber leaves -> Yannick Weber comes in
Craig Smith leaves -> Reilly Smith comes in

it's basically confirmed happening

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think all of Pacioretty, Smith, Marchessault, Killorn, and Hoffman are worth looking at. I still think the goal is to find somebody who has chemistry with Duchene. And I don't have any really strong opinion as to which one best fits in that sense.

But I guess if anybody on the list is basically "free" to acquire, well, just acquire that guy. It's a pretty solid tie-breaker criterion. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Last years performance:
PlayerGAPGPG/GPA/GPP/GP PlayoffsGAPGPG/GPA/GPP/GP
Marchessault222547660.330.380.71 Marchessault3710200.150.350.50
Pacioretty323466710.450.480.93 Pacioretty538160.310.190.50
Hoffman293059690.420.430.86 Hoffman32540.750.501.25
Reilly272754710.380.380.76 Smith5914200.250.450.70
Killorn262349680.380.340.72 Killorn5510240.210.210.42
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Contract Situation:
Contractscaphityears lefttrade protection
Player
Marchessault500000048 team no trade list 20-22, 5 team no trade list 22-24
Pacioretty7000000310 team no trade list
Hoffmanunemployed
Reilly500000028 team no trade list 20-21, nothing 21-22
Killorn4450000316 team No trade list
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

For the money and contract situation, Reilly Smith has the edge in my book. Good production, 2 years under contract, minimal trade protection, had a pretty good playoff series.
Patches had the best regular season but faded in the post season.
Hoffman looks good but he's UFA so he has to want to sign here. Everyone else just doesn't have to hate the idea of being here.

Hoffman is the cheapest to get (just money and will to sign)
Killorn next b/c of Tampa's cap woes.
Vegas spent alot on getting Patches so i don't see why they'd want to trade him tbh. He's performing as he should for his pay.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Sounds like Pacioretty would come pretty cheap after all, there aren't many teams that can/want to take $7 mil in their books right now. He would be a big commitment but if the price is something along the lines of how much Schmidt went, I wouldn't be opposed. He's the best player of them all.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
VGK seems pretty desperate to move someone. Maybe Poile can work out another McPhee special.

Patches/Marchessault for Colorado's 4th

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I called it two years ago, Vegas made a mistake trading for Pacioretty trying to one up their inaugural season. Gave up Suzuki and a 2nd to put themselves in cap trouble. Nothing wrong with the player, he's great, but not the best financial decision for a young club.

That first season was special, but it caused McPhee to forget that the goal is long-term and he had alteady set them up well for future success with so many great picks and trades in the expansion and entry draft.

Not that I feel bad for Vegas of course!

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
These are all good options. But there is another option. Do nothing and about $9M or so moves directly to the bottom line. In a year where most teams will lose money this remains a viable option.
As a big fan I don’t like this option but realistically it is an option. Poile has done a great job in positioning the Preds for these multiple options in a crazy year.
Doing nothing also opens up jobs for prospects. Sooner or later they are the future of the Preds and have to have a rookie season. With most players this is a learning year and breakout year is usually season 2.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'd love to have Reilly Smith especially if we can get him on the cheap. Two year contract works perfectly to make one final push with this core before deciding whether or not to blow it up.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Vegas' main sponsors are Las Vegas tourism. Is anyone screaming Vegas baby, Vegas!

This could be a huge break for Nashville. 1 year term. could provide 30 goals, expansion draft; he can be exposed,

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Vegas is a fun team. Off to a good start in the NHL... no WAIT... let's get Pacioretty... no WAIT... Mark Stone. No WAIT... Martinez. And LEHNER!!! Let's get rid of Gallant. Now all together PIETRANGELO!!! It's not exactly boring there, anyway.

I mean, I'd maybe just waive a couple of grinders like Holden and Nosek and call up cheap fill-ins before I gave away a top player. But that wouldn't be much fun, I guess. :dunno:

Reactions: Legionnaire11

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Vegas is a fun team. Off to a good start in the NHL... no WAIT... let's get Pacioretty... no WAIT... Mark Stone. No WAIT... Martinez. And LEHNER!!! Let's get rid of Gallant. Now all together PIETRANGELO!!! It's not exactly boring there, anyway.

I mean, I'd maybe just waive a couple of grinders like Holden and Nosek and call up cheap fill-ins before I gave away a top player. But that wouldn't be much fun, I guess. :dunno:
Vegas has been fun to watch.

They got Tatar from the Wings for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
They got Patches by trading Tomas Tatar, Nick Suzuki, and a 2nd.
Now there's rumbles about trading Patches.

I know Tatar didn't mesh well with them for whatever reason but Tatar has performed better in Montreal then Patches has in Vegas. Then there is Suzuki who got 13G 28A in 71games his rookie year in Montreal.

They went out and bet big on Pietrangelo and put themselves in a huge cap bind and had to trade Schmidt for pennies.

They locked up Lehner for 5M x 5Y and now have 12M tied up in goalies with no real outlet for Flower who is coming off a bad season and has a 10 team no trade list. But who's going to trade for a 7M x 2Y goalie with a .905 sv% when the cap is dead?

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Rumors heating up.. there has been talk between us and Vegas regarding Marchessault. Pacioretty apparently not moving after all.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Nothing concrete yet but where there's smoke, there's fire. We're clearly exploring options to improve our top-6 now with teams in cap troubles.

Thank you, His cash would be dead sexy for anyone who has cap but no cash. $3.5 mil in cash last 2 years vs $5 mil cap. BUT his cash = cap for the next 2 years.

He definitely would replace Smith production wise. Which leave Kunin. Is he included in a trade?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Thank you, His cash would be dead sexy for anyone who has cap but no cash. $3.5 mil in cash last 2 years vs $5 mil cap. BUT his cash = cap for the next 2 years.

He definitely would replace Smith production wise. Which leave Kunin. Is he included in a trade?

I don't think we're trading Kunin. We're trying a reverse-Fiala trade with Kunin, hoping he could take the next step in his career in Nashville. He's going to get a good chance to thrive.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Frankly I don't think Poile is taking anyone unless it's a steal. If you don't do it you play the young guys, save the cap and then fill in what you need to the next season.

I'm also guessing that is what every GM with cap is trying to do.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2