Free Agent Frenzy

What are the Preds going to do with the cap space available?

• Total voters

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Nothing concrete yet but where there's smoke, there's fire. We're clearly exploring options to improve our top-6 now with teams in cap troubles.

I have no doubt Poile will have kicked the full set of tires. From the UFAs like Hoffman, to the TB situation, and now onto the Vegas one.

But I'm still content with just holding the line on only taking one of these guys if they are basically "for free". Marchessault has been pretty good the last few years - within the chemistry he had established on his team - but another 5'9" winger dropped into our less welcoming environment for a scoring forward? I'm not sold. 4 years is still a long time. I wouldn't give up anything of note for him, anyway. A 3rd round pick, B prospect, etc. In which case, if that means talks go nowhere... no problem.

I suspect that Tampa will find their solution if they execute that Zetterberg trade and get their RFAs dirt cheap. No freebies there. Hoffman seems to be waiting on somebody else, not us. No freebie there. If Marchessault is likewise crossed off the list... I'm ok with that too. It's a shortened season of chaos coming up, with an expansion draft thereafter. Trying out a 2nd line of Tolvanen/Tomasino/Trenin - Duchene - Kunin doesn't faze me. If there's ever a time to run an experiment with youngsters and save some money, this has to be about the most opportune time ever.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
But I'm still content with just holding the line on only taking one of these guys if they are basically "for free". Marchessault has been pretty good the last few years - within the chemistry he had established on his team - but another 5'9" winger dropped into our less welcoming environment for a scoring forward? I'm not sold.

This is actually an interesting discussion regarding size and physicality. If you wanted to add physicality into your lineuo which one would you rather have Turris or Marchessault? What I mean by that is, player can be gritty and physical even though small in size, and player can be bigger in size but soft as a pillow.

Of course, if you're smaller, you don't have the reach etc. the bigger guys do. But in my mind, player can be small but physical and tough to play against. I would see Marchessault essentially replacing Granlund in the lineup.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
This is actually an interesting discussion regarding size and physicality. If you wanted to add physicality into your lineuo which one would you rather have Turris or Marchessault? What I mean by that is, player can be gritty and physical even though small in size, and player can be bigger in size but soft as a pillow.

Of course, if you're smaller, you don't have the reach etc. the bigger guys do. But in my mind, player can be small but physical and tough to play against. I would see Marchessault essentially replacing Granlund in the lineup.
Reach was the only thing that ever hurt my play as a shorter defenseman. Later on being fat also hurt, well that and being over 40.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

For sure I would take Marchessault over Turris.

But we still have one of the smallest teams in the NHL. That doesn't have to be fatal just on its own... but... we also have one of the softest and slowest teams as well, don't we? I mean, you still take Marchessault "for free" anyway, even if you'd rather have a different player. He's good enough to pass that threshold. I wouldn't take Turris or Granlund "for free" right now.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Reach was the only thing that ever hurt my play as a shorter defenseman. Later on being fat also hurt, well that and being over 40.
:D. In all seriousness, smallish forwards are rarely anything special defensively, but since we're not looking for a defensively-responsible forward, that wouldn't be big of an issue.

but... we also have one of the softest and slowest teams as well, don't we?

Disagreed. We've acquired guys this offseason that are speedy and/or tough to play against. We've jettisoned guys like Turris who was as easy to play against as anybody. Smith had some jump which I'm hoping Kunin can replace, Bonino was a smart defensive forward who was not physical and Granlund well.. I'm still hoping we find an upgrade for him.

Guys like Cousins, Richardson are speedy players in the bottom-6 that are a bitch to play against. You don't want to end up with Borowiecki in the front of the net. Benning is a lot more physical than Weber was. Trenin's physicality is a welcome add. Sissons can bang bodies and is going to have a bigger role this year.

It also has a lot to do with the mentality. Like Poile has said this offseason, we need to go back to the "Predator" way of playing hockey. That means less skill (checks out with these offseason moves) and more grit and sandpaper (yep). A lot of the change happens between the ears.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Convenient timing for the Steen retirement.. watch the Blues snag Hoffman or Marchessault now.
I mean they were over the cap and if you wipe away steen’s contract they only have ~4.5M of space with 20 players and Vince Dunn still left to sign who should eat up Atleast 2M off that. So it basically allows them to sign Dunn and get to a 23 man roster.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Duclair goes to Florida, are the dominoes starting to fall now? That likely rules out a Hoffman return ti Florida as well.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Duclair goes to Florida, are the dominoes starting to fall now? That likely rules out a Hoffman return ti Florida as well.
If the Panthers want Hoffman back they can sure get him they have over 6 mil in cap space left and options to players if needed. But honestly they need another defenseman. And there future revolves in the headcase in net, can get his collective shit together.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I am ok with staying with the team as it is right now and see how the young kids do with the additions we brought in. With this being a shortened season, not sure what the Preds finances are looking like. It will let us know if ET, Tomasino, Pitlick and maybe a few others are ready to make the jump. If not then move on.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
We still need to sign Kunin. That's priority A.

Honestly, I don't think with the switch from Minn to Dallas in our division, we are going to make the playoffs. Let it ride with the kids for a season. Draft high and hope for a top end talent.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
We still need to sign Kunin. That's priority A.

Honestly, I don't think with the switch from Minn to Dallas in our division, we are going to make the playoffs. Let it ride with the kids for a season. Draft high and hope for a top end talent.

I agree. Like the lockout season where we ended up with the #4 pick, it will be a short season of suck to endure. Hate that Rinnes career will end like this but if we can get a top 5 pick again we could be good to go soon

Of course an even better outcome would be the kids outperform and drive the vets to wake up and we have a surprisingly good year

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't think so either. I know people will say Dallas was sliding in the regular season and they covid cup was a special circumstance, but I don't see how they don't come off that run riding high. Remember the Preds squeeked into the playoffs and went to the final, then rode that momentum to a President's Trophy.

I wouldn't say Dallas will be the best team in the league, but top four in the division? Very likely.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Interesting thing for Dallas will be how they deal with no Seguin and no Bishop. Khudobin was obviously great in the playoffs but hasn’t historically been workhorse starter material. I still feel like outside of Tampa the division is pretty wide open for anyone to finish anywhere.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Interesting thing for Dallas will be how they deal with no Seguin and no Bishop. Khudobin was obviously great in the playoffs but hasn’t historically been workhorse starter material. I still feel like outside of Tampa the division is pretty wide open for anyone to finish anywhere.
Maybe not anybody anywhere, but it could definitely be worse for us. I might rank Carolina, Columbus, and Dallas ahead of us, but it's not by such an impossible margin that we would have no hope of making the playoffs. We should definitely at least feel like we have a chance going in. That could evaporate almost immediately in a short season with a bad start. But at least we shouldn't feel hopeless now. Most other divisions would look worse for us.

1. TB
2. Dallas
3. Carolina
4. Columbus
5. Nashville
6. Florida
7. Chicago
8. Detroit

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Kunin will be signed with no issues. He has zero leverage. What’s he going to do go play half a season in the KHL? If I had to guess it’s probably the team holding out and seeing how Hoffman or any other potential deals shake out to decide what to offer him.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Kunin signing is a non-issue. They're just waiting on the information about next season and once it's finalized and confirmed they will sign him.

I'm still hoping Poile can find a way to weaponize his cap space..

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I still would like to see Poile bring in one more player, the best they can get, just for some extra depth. Hoffman would be ideal but if not someone like Haula, Sheary, Soderberg, or even Brassard. Plus having a rotation of hungry younger players who would wanna stay in the lineup could definitely help push players to play even better...

Forsberg - Johansen- Arvidsson
Kunin - Duchene - UFA

and then the rest of the bottom six can be Sissons, Grimaldi, Jarnkrok, Trenin, Richardson, Cousins, Tolvanen or Tomasino/Afanseyev (if they make the team) and obviously players can go up and down the lineup. Create some team competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad