Free Agent Frenzy

What are the Preds going to do with the cap space available?

• Total voters

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I think you are seeing the challenges that an attendance based league has. Financials are probably a lot tighter than everyone thinks.

AND

Poile is wise for waiting this out and seeing how teams against the cap are going to make it. If you havent noticed the Preds aren't the only team in limbo. Everyone is clearly waiting for some dominos to fall and they haven't yet.
I’m still asking player payment questions because of this crazy off season.
A payment was apparently due to players under contract somewhere around Nov1. Could some teams(Poile included) be holding back on signings with all the season uncertainty to avoid some of these payments?
Like did the Turris buy out avoid a pretty big payment due him right now?
Short term cash with no season is a problem to be managed.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I’m still asking player payment questions because of this crazy off season.
A payment was apparently due to players under contract somewhere around Nov1. Could some teams(Poile included) be holding back on signings with all the season uncertainty to avoid some of these payments?
Like did the Turris buy out avoid a pretty big payment due him right now?
Short term cash with no season is a problem to be managed.
Well, 8% of a $70M payroll is "just" $5.6M... I mean, if an NHL team has trouble with that kind of cashflow, then I guess they have TROUBLE.

But they also already paid Duchene $5M and Josi $11M ( :eek: ) so... :dunno:

Eventually they still have to pay any unsigned guys the 8% too, after they get signed. We are talking less than $1M on that unused space, right? That straw can't be breaking the camel's back, one hopes... if it is, then we're in really big trouble.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Well, 8% of a $70M payroll is "just" $5.6M... I mean, if an NHL team has trouble with that kind of cashflow, then I guess they have TROUBLE.

But they also already paid Duchene $5M and Josi $11M ( :eek: ) so... :dunno:

Eventually they still have to pay any unsigned guys the 8% too, after they get signed. We are talking less than $1M on that unused space, right? That straw can't be breaking the camel's back, one hopes... if it is, then we're in really big trouble.
Well, you know cash flow generally is related to cash coming in versus cash going out. Lately and going back to the early end of the past season, it’s mostly cash going out. Many companies set up reserves for the unexpected. But this has been a fairly healthy unexpected. Usually you don’t want to go to your owners for a cash influx. So Henry and Poile have a bigger job than we might imagine. If and when next season begins it is likely to be more of the same; more cash out than in for a long time.
Now it is my perception that Preds would be among the teams that would feel this pinch more than say Toronto, Montreal, etc.
That’s why I’m interested in player salaries, contract questions. I feel like there’s more going on financially than we may understand.
Sorry fir asking so many questions.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, you know cash flow generally is related to cash coming in versus cash going out. Lately and going back to the early end of the past season, it’s mostly cash going out. Many companies set up reserves for the unexpected. But this has been a fairly healthy unexpected. Usually you don’t want to go to your owners for a cash influx. So Henry and Poile have a bigger job than we might imagine. If and when next season begins it is likely to be more of the same; more cash out than in for a long time.
Now it is my perception that Preds would be among the teams that would feel this pinch more than say Toronto, Montreal, etc.
That’s why I’m interested in player salaries, contract questions. I feel like there’s more going on financially than we may understand.
Sorry fir asking so many questions.
No... by all means... they are good questions.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think cash flow might be some of it. I also think building a team was part too. Everyone bitches about too 6 but IMHO were fine there. Secondary scoring and penalty killing has been our biggest weakness. Poile did address that. I also believe Tomasino is better than most here believe

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Columbus' Nyquist will be out for 5-6 months.. have to think they're going hard after one of the remaining FA's right now.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Columbus' Nyquist will be out for 5-6 months.. have to think they're going hard after one of the remaining FA's right now.
I think granlund would be a good fit for them. They’ve got tons of cap they could go after anyone that’s left out there. I wonder if they’re trying to get a good deal from Tampa or other cap strapped team to

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think granlund would be a good fit for them. They’ve got tons of cap they could go after anyone that’s left out there. I wonder if they’re trying to get a good deal from Tampa or other cap strapped team to

Yeah, I can see Granlund going there. Can't see Hoffman fitting well in Tortorella's system.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Nashville Predators on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

Just food for thought, after losing 11 million dollars last year, the probability of the ownership placing a internal Cap is real. Real dollars do matter. If there is a season and even with prorated salary it is difficult to think the organization would be profitable. As the league struggles for a start date and the number of games for a season it only muddies the water more.

Dailey has made a statement that the 21-22 season needs to start in normal fashion in October of 21. This limits any season this year. Beetman indicated that the very minimum of 48 games would be needed to start a season. The border being closed complicates this more another decision will be made just before Nov 21. and we can expect the 8th pushback of a reopen date. The current AHL opening has move to Feb 1 hard to imagine that the NHL would start before the AHL. In order to get the schedule back on normal track any season would need to be complete in July. With the financial pressure on each team there is a real possibility that no season will be played in partial full arenas.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nashville Predators on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

Just food for thought, after losing 11 million dollars last year, the probability of the ownership placing a internal Cap is real. Real dollars do matter. If there is a season and even with prorated salary it is difficult to think the organization would be profitable. As the league struggles for a start date and the number of games for a season it only muddies the water more.

Dailey has made a statement that the 21-22 season needs to start in normal fashion in October of 21. This limits any season this year. Beetman indicated that the very minimum of 48 games would be needed to start a season. The border being closed complicates this more another decision will be made just before Nov 21. and we can expect the 8th pushback of a reopen date. The current AHL opening has move to Feb 1 hard to imagine that the NHL would start before the AHL. In order to get the schedule back on normal track any season would need to be complete in July. With the financial pressure on each team there is a real possibility that no season will be played in partial full arenas.
Did you say beetman?

farp,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I think Granlund would be a good fit in Columbus especially to take over Nyquist's role as a pass first winger.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
NHL Network talked about the most intriguing teams left in this offseason and they mentioned the Preds. Talked about how Poile earmarked all the cap space for Hall and because he missed out on him, he will look for other options, Hoffman or one of the Tampa guys. They were pretty sure that the Preds are not done making moves this offseason.

I'm glad to hear that, because if we went into the season with the holes on the 2nd line, you'd just know that if we weren't absolute dogshit, Poile would try to get some help in there and waste assets. That's what's irritated me about Poile the last few years, not addressing the weaknesses in the offseason for free and then wasting a lot of assets during the season to address those weaknesses (Santorelli-trade, Turris-trade, Hartman-trade to name a few).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
NHL Network talked about the most intriguing teams left in this offseason and they mentioned the Preds. Talked about how Poile earmarked all the cap space for Hall and because he missed out on him, he will look for other options, Hoffman or one of the Tampa guys. They were pretty sure that the Preds are not done making moves this offseason.

I'm glad to hear that, because if we went into the season with the holes on the 2nd line, you'd just know that if we weren't absolute dogshit, Poile would try to get some help in there and waste assets. That's what's irritated me about Poile the last few years, not addressing the weaknesses in the offseason for free and then wasting a lot of assets during the season to address those weaknesses (Santorelli-trade, Turris-trade, Hartman-trade to name a few).
Yeah we will just forget about the fact that players have free will and may not want to come here. Just because you don't fill holes in free agency doesn't mean you didn't try too. Hall is a perfect example. Tavares is another example of a guy who took a lower offer than what San Jose offered him.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Let's not act like it's all about money. Sometimes... players just don't want to play in Nashville.

What bothers me, is that this franchise has had such a big problem drafting talented forwards. Looking at the team as constructed now, we drafted Arvidsson, Trenin, and Sissons. Arvidsson leads the way at 0.64 points/game. Josi has 0.65 points/game. I know you typically have to get at the top of the draft or get lucky to draft a high octane forward. I'd like to think we'd of gotten lucky by now.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Yeah we will just forget about the fact that players have free will and may not want to come here. Just because you don't fill holes in free agency doesn't mean you didn't try too. Hall is a perfect example. Tavares is another example of a guy who took a lower offer than what San Jose offered him.
Hall is an example of “It’s all about me and which team will ante up my money deal for 1 year”. I applaud Poile for not agreeing to that.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Maybe that's the case with the better free agents but the depth options shouldn't be too difficult to acquire for a contending team.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hall is an example of “It’s all about me and which team will ante up my money deal for 1 year”. I applaud Poile for not agreeing to that.
I don't know... I might want to hold my applause... because presumably Poile was all kinds of ready to ante up a 7-year deal, probably at something like $8M. So it's not exactly like Poile wasn't all-in on Hall. And then when Hall decided that's just too low for what he thinks he's worth, Poile would probably still have taken him at the 1x$8M... just that Hall felt he'd have a better chance to put up numbers with Eichel than in the Nashville line blender. Hall was probably not wrong about that. But I don't think Poile deserves toooo much credit in the way things turned out... he chased as hard as he could, just in the end Hall himself made the call to go elsewhere.

Well that's what it feels like to me anyway. From back here.
:GWC:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
At this point, I think it’s

blues
Avs
Stars
Jets (questions on d)
Preds (questions on wings)
Wild (poor center depth)
Blackhawks (no proven goaltending)

Granted we could slip or rise

I think the Avs are the clear favorite- would be a pretty surprising if they do not win the division.

After that I think every team has some real question marks, including the Blues.

I would slot the Blues in at 2nd, but I really think 3-7 could wind up in just about any order...….

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think the Avs are the clear favorite- would be a pretty surprising if they do not win the division.

After that I think every team has some real question marks, including the Blues.

I would slot the Blues in at 2nd, but I really think 3-7 could wind up in just about any order...….
Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think the Dallas run was as much a fluke as most people seem to. Even with some top players not on their games, I give them full credit as West champs, and think they'll easily be in the top-2 next season.
:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->