Free Agent Frenzy

What are the Preds going to do with the cap space available?

• Total voters

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I want at minimum 1 winger who can play in our top-6, and 1 "legit" #5-capable defenseman (either side).

Could consider now a solid grit/character 4th line forward too, and bonus points if we actually got a second capable bottom-pairing D.

It would be a bit of a drag if this "frenzy" plays out a lot slower than usual, though. There are always a few signings that drag out over a few extra days. But it will be less fun if the whole thing basically drags out for weeks this time around. :(

Reactions: predhead1

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Previous years before the Free Agency period even starts you know where a lot of players are going to end up in. This year, there's almost zero cases like those, there's some uncertainty which makes this even more exciting this year.

The only "sure" signing right now I think is Lundqvist to the Capitals which honestly makes a lot of sense for both sides.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Previous years before the Free Agency period even starts you know where a lot of players are going to end up in. This year, there's almost zero cases like those, there's some uncertainty which makes this even more exciting this year.

The only "sure" signing right now I think is Lundqvist to the Capitals which honestly makes a lot of sense for both sides.

They removed the period where players and teams could talk before the opening of FA, that's probably a big reason why.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Janmark would be great on the 3rd line. But if that's all we do it's not good enough. We need a top-6 winger.

Also sounds like Turris could easily sign on Day 1, which I wouldn't have expected even though I think he's a lot better than what his HF reputation is right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Poile has a serious liking towards players that will never be enough. Do we need more ''nice to have'' but ultimately non-important players?

Janmark is... "serviceable"... "ok"... but he just takes up a roster spot, basically.

If we are going to compete: we need better players than Janmark
If we are going to retool/rebuild: play the kids instead

I don't think we should mess around with "serviceable" stopgaps up front. On D... ok that's a little different because I'm not convinced we have D who are ready to be NHL regulars, and it's a more important position. But I don't want any Janmarks signed for F. In fact, I'd be happy to trade a Jarnkrok and create an extra spot that way... not sign more of those.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Also sounds like Turris could easily sign on Day 1, which I wouldn't have expected even though I think he's a lot better than what his HF reputation is right now.

Part of it is that we made it super obvious that we were likely to buy him out which in turn made it even harder to move him. I look forward to next season when Turris goes somewhere that puts him back in a 2C role and he goes back to putting up 50 points and the same people who are currently claiming Turris is terrible making fun of us for being stupid for buying him out.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Part of it is that we made it super obvious that we were likely to buy him out which in turn made it even harder to move him. I look forward to next season when Turris goes somewhere that puts him back in a 2C role and he goes back to putting up 50 points and the same people who are currently claiming Turris is terrible making fun of us for being stupid for buying him out.

Oh, this is inevitable

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
There's only 9 NHL forwards on the roster right now. Promoting 4-5 AHLer's would be insane. So yea, Janmark makes sense. I fully expect a couple bottom 6 signings.

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
I think Namestnikov would be a really good fit here. Can play 2nd or 3rd line, throws the body and plays in all situations.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The situation is a gift that just keeps giving in all probability. Like an exploding toilet at the state fair, it's going to take a while for Poile to wipe the stink off.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tampa put Tyler Johnson on waivers.
Wouldn't be interested. He's kind of Turris. A bit more feisty, but not ultimately any better. And we need a tiny #2C like... well, like getting Matt Irwin back. We don't. On his contract, even for free, he's an easy pass for us. Not to say he couldn't be useful for some teams. But again, that's part of why we couldn't trade Turris. Any team out there looking for that niche knew they had multiple options coming up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Gudas to Panthers for 3 x $2.5 mil. Would've gladly taken that deal.
Ok... minus the "glady". Would have... "reluctantly" taken that deal, more like. He hits and battles, and heaven knows we need that on our bottom pair. It would have helped us. But 3 years would have been a little bit extravagant given how he's likely to trend over that term.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Bobby Ryan to Detroit for 1 year x $1 mil. Wouldn't have minded that as a little reclamation project.
Yeah, but I wouldn't have made that my 12pm signing. It would have been more like a Day 5 fallback. So if he's going in the first few minutes of the frenzy, I can't say I was going to beat that so quickly. Good luck to him.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Wouldn't be interested. He's kind of Turris. A bit more feisty, but not ultimately any better. And we need a tiny #2C like... well, like getting Matt Irwin back. We don't. On his contract, even for free, he's an easy pass for us. Not to say he couldn't be useful for some teams. But again, that's part of why we couldn't trade Turris. Any team out there looking for that niche knew they had multiple options coming up.

I assume if we get him on waivers we would still have to assume his NTC which means giving up an expansion slot. Couple that with what you noted and that makes it a hard pass for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad