GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I think a package of Nyquist+Mantha+2016 2nd would be a fair package for a young top 4.

I agree that would be a strong offer - I just can't think of a team that would sacrifice a young, Top 4 quality D, who would need that and not need the D.

It's a bit of a Catch 22. If you're rebuilding, you want to trade an asset you don't think you can keep or will have 3 years down the line, for pieces that you think will be integral to your team in that same time period. However if you're in a situation like that, the first cornerstone piece you want is young D.

So I guess to make this work with that offer, you would have to find a team that has an overstock of young D and prospects, with almost no young forward depth.

Coincidentally, there is a team that pops in my mind who does match that - The Carolina Hurricanes.

They have tremendous depth in their D - Faulk, Fluery, Hanifin and Murphy - all Top Flight D under 23 years old - and they have little to no depth whatsoever at their forward spots.

Although I suspect that Carolina is looking to move Staal(s) and Ward for more picks and prospects and keep their backend in place.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
LOL! He isn't exactly Brian Rafalski.

I am more afraid of the fact he really seemed gassed last season. Pittsburgh fans went into last season wanting his head, by December they seemed to be okay with him, but by February they were again wanting his head. He's just not the same player he was in NJ or early on in Pittsburgh.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
So as I see it they have three options:

#1 Sign Green/Martin/etc and hope they can stabilize the D. Good or bad, it only costs money.
#2 Hope to flip depth at wing for a D-man. This will probably lead to better yield, but at a high price, think Nyquist and Mantha as the starting point.
#3 Start the season with last seasons defense+ rookies. Basically enjoy life as a bubble team and first round fodder.
Im not totally against option 1, but I think a long term deal would be a boat anchor.

Option 2 is pretty favorable imo, but only if it means Smith/kindl go too. Don't know what may come of that, but I like it.

Option 3 would suck, but maybe less than option 1 would if we were handcuffed from a bad contract at the tdl or 1 year from today.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I doubt there is mutual interest in Martin. He was FA only a few years ago, and we weren't in the race. Detroit has been rumored to have interest in Green all last summer and has probably been keeping tabs on him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In my opinion not a whole lot. Shoots left, 34, never was able to get past 30ish points per season. Was a good defender, but seems to be out of gas the last two seasons.

Yeah, real out of gas playing 23 minutes a night and being a +17 last year.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
On the top pair? No they can't.

If we are looking to improve from Ericsson, absolutely. And if we sign Green, it gives us more matchup flexibility with two potential pairings with offensive capability instead of just one.

How much is Martin going to be looking for?

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
If we are looking to improve from Ericsson, absolutely. And if we sign Green, it gives us more matchup flexibility with two potential pairings with offensive capability instead of just one.

4.5 - 5 mil. (I hope :laugh:)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Did you see Ericsson play last year? I have no clue why we wouldn't be looking to improve from Ericsson.

We need a #1 RD, badly.

I don't know how much Martin is looking for, but if he is cool with a short-term deal I'm not worried about the $$$.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Did you see Ericsson play last year? I have no clue why we wouldn't be looking to improve from Ericsson.

We need a #1 RD, badly.

I don't know how much Martin is looking for, but if he is cool with a short-term deal I'm not worried about the $$$.
I didn't say we shouldn't be looking to improve from Ericsson.

I'm saying Ericsson is so bad it isn't hard to improve the top pair.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
LOL! He isn't exactly Brian Rafalski.

If we hold out for perfect players we're never getting anyone. Perfect players get locked up. If we can improve the team in UFA by making use of our ample cap room without handcuffing ourselves in the next few years, we should do it.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
If we hold out for perfect players we're never getting anyone. Perfect players get locked up. If we can improve the team in UFA by making use of our ample cap room without handcuffing ourselves in the next few years, we should do it.

I was referring to this:

Shoots left, 34, never was able to get past 30ish points per season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I didn't say we shouldn't be looking to improve from Ericsson.

I'm saying Ericsson is so bad it isn't hard to improve the top pair.

Ok well even though it's not hard to be better than Ericsson, Martin is a substantially better player, and would do a much better job with the task we have given to Ericsson the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad