GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Khan speculation more then anything I think.

I don't know, the way it's worded suggests there's at least something there. Unlikely nonetheless, but still. It's Ken Holland.

The Red Wings have some interest in right-shooting wingers Joel Ward (Washington) and Justin Williams (Los Angeles), but are concerned about giving term to older players – Ward turns 35 in December and Williams 34 in October.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I love both Ward and Williams. But am concerned about their age. Ward or Williams for 1 or 2 years would fit well on a third line. I'd rather go with Ward.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Honestly guys, there is no way Abdelkader doesn't get paid as an impending UFA next year. By us or someone else.

What if he has a 12-15 goal 30ish point year in line with his career averages?

Abdelkader's the most likely guy to lose his spot in the top 6. If he's not in the top 6 he's not scoring more than 12-15, no way. He might not break 10.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Chicago just gave Anisimov 4.55 AAV over 5 years.

They've been hunting for a decent 2nd line center for a couple years. Ironically all they needed was a Brad Richards swan song to win, but Anisimov gives them another dynamic talent to put with Kane.

Hunting Bow*

Over and under on moves done (meaning the Wings of of course) today?

I'm guessing 1 will be the over and under.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
They've been hunting for a decent 2nd line center for a couple years. Ironically all they needed was a Brad Richards swan song to win, but Anisimov gives them another dynamic talent to put with Kane.

Dynamic talent? Maybe it's because he's a Russian that my expectations are high, or the praise he gets for his defensive game, but I've always been underwhelmed by him. Always expect him to be more threatening, more productive, and it just never happens.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dynamic talent? Maybe it's because he's a Russian that my expectations are high, or the praise he gets for his defensive game, but I've always been underwhelmed by him. Always expect him to be more threatening, more productive, and it just never happens.

Well, he's getting paid less than Weiss was... Heh.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Our needs for the next 5 seasons: Top4 defenseman. Seriously. If we can't get anyone by free agency, do a trade or something. It's starting to get really frustrating.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=770953

We're probably in a better position to explore trades than we were at any point in time because of the depth of our organization," Holland said. "

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...troit-red-wings-free-agency-preview/29389273/

"I think we're going with our young players," general manager Ken Holland said when asked about the team's plans to improve. "You look at what happened over the last two years, not only in Detroit but in Grand Rapids. We're going to give Larkin a real chance to make our team, based on the way he played at Michigan and the World Championships and in Grand Rapids. Teemu Pulkkinen has got to come up. One of the young defensemen is going to be on the team.

"That's the direction we're going. They're good young players. They need an opportunity. When you look at the unrestricted free agent market, I can't tell you that there's not some players there that won't be better for us in the short term, but eventually, how do we get these younger players to the point where they are legitimate NHL pros. They've got to play at the NHL level."

I agree 100% with Holland that young guys need an opportunity. I think we all do.
As I have said many times, I think both Ouellet and Marchenko should be on the team. But unless we don't do any trades, I just don't see that happening. It's time to use our depth and do a ****ing trade! It can't be that hard.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Our needs for the next 5 seasons: Top4 defenseman. Seriously. If we can't get anyone by free agency, do a trade or something. It's starting to get really frustrating.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...troit-red-wings-free-agency-preview/29389273/

I agree 100% with Holland that young guys need an opportunity. I think we all do.
As I have said many times, I think both Ouellet and Marchenko should be on the team. But unless we don't do any trades, I just don't see that happening. It's time to use our depth and do a ****ing trade! It can't be that hard.

The problem is that the defense isn't strong enough to carry kids during their learning curves.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
The problem is that the defense isn't strong enough to carry kids during their learning curves.

Agreed - hence a Martin signing would be excellent. Nothing stabilizes a young core than bringing in a minute-eating, veteran and leader. Although any free agent addition will require us to move something out in return.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
As far as free agent signings, I think we'll get Oduya sadly so 1. I really don't want him.

Looking over the free agent class, the hope should probably be 0. People want Green but if he is signed they'll want Hollands head by Christmas lol.

Hunting Bow*

If Holland doesn't improve the defense the same result will happen.

Signing Smith is NOT the signing that pushes this team beyond a first round exit from the playoffs again.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013

Well we have Tatar and Nyquist. Use them as trade baits. Nyquist probably has more value. You gotta give something good, in order to get something good. I'm willing to sacrifice Tatar or Nyquist for that Top4 defenseman.

Signing Smith is NOT the signing that pushes this team beyond a first round exit from the playoffs again.

I agree.

Hunting Bow*

Looking over the free agent class, the hope should probably be 0. People want Green but if he is signed they'll want Hollands head by Christmas lol.

So are you saying the current defense is ready to be Stanley Cup caliber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad