Speculation: Free Agent Frenzy Part V: Gorton is on McLeod Nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm curious as to Hayes' value around the league.

There's still a big part of me that wonders if his inherent value to the Rangers isn't higher than it is for most other teams. At least until we know Andersson/Chytil/Howden are ready to step into and run with NHL roles.
I'd be curious as well. I'd think the teams that are weak down the middle would value him pretty highly - he can play 2C pretty well imo. Scores at about that pace and also can take hard matchups.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
I'm curious as to Hayes' value around the league.

There's still a big part of me that wonders if his inherent value to the Rangers isn't higher than it is for most other teams. At least until we know Andersson/Chytil/Howden are ready to step into and run with NHL roles.

That’s why I don’t want to deal him right away, wait and see if these kids are even ready

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Would anyone consider signing Matt Read to a 1 year deal similar to what Cody McLeod just got? They can send him down as a vet presence in the AHL where he can be a 2nd/3rd liner who is defensively responsible. If the young players aren't ready and Gorton finds deals for a few guys throughout the year, he can be a 4th liner (similar to Beleskey) if required.

Wouldn't be against per se as a reclamation project for 2018-2019, but I'm not sure there's a match just yet until the Rangers roster situation is clearer. Then again, Read wouldn't be looking to sign a 1-year cheap contract to play in the AHL where his "reclamation" goal would not be achieved.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I think Spooner probably has actual value and could be moved, but we also have to ice a team that isn't completely depressing garbage. We don't want this turn into Buffalo or Ottawa situation where the team is so bad it sucks the life out of the guys. The rest of those players have no value imo - Gilmour, Staal and Smith.

Hayes I've always been against trading so I'm not upset he's still here. If or when Chytil and Andersson show they're the real deal, then yeah move Hayes but not before.

Spooner could grow into zuccarello's role. He looked like a fantastic playmaker after the deadline. Worth it to keep him and see what he is. Either fatten the goose and sell it or keep it for dinner, whichever is more cost effective. He's not old and won't cost a lot either

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I happen to think boo has the skillset to be a fantastic 4c. Just needs a chance imho.

4C??????????

infurnu pls.

Synergy.jpg

JnwQ4np.png

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just nuke the lounge and set a posting limit from Toronto teenagers and it’ll solve all of your problems.

But seriously, it should be on a board-by-board basis. Make monthly threads for these big topics like the spec thread and let the rest take care of themselves.

Back on topic, I’m guessing we’ll find out about the other guys relatively soon. I wonder if Chicago clearing some space to make a move for Skinner, Patches, or Faulk opens things up a bit. The EK bottleneck has been a tad annoying.

A guy can dream.

Reactions: haveandare

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I agree. I thought he was doing a good job last season honestly. He can transport the puck, is sound defensively has good size and obviously speed is a huge asset. Just doing those thing, I think he can be a 20-25p center who is defensively responsible. Those guys are getting WAY overpaid as UFA's.

Definitely agree with this

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I think Boo had his chance and he didn't blow it but he was not fantastic. He was fine, and I would rather see what Fontaine has to offer before pencilling in Nieves for that role.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Letooni better than Nieves
You could put Nieves on Lettieri's wing, if you really wanted Lettieri at center. Nieves is better offensively on the wing than at center, however, I also think he's a better center than Lettieri. We'll see how it shakes out, though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Any particular reason we're penciling Boo in as the 4C instead of the 1C?

now yer talkin.

Again, while Kreider is not a finisher/sniper, he and Nieves would be sick esp if the correct RW is added. While Zib is not as fast, he is as strong, big enough, and lethal righty shot.

Hoping mgmt realizes there is no loss in just trying this for 5 weeks or so, give it every chance to succeed.

If/when that happens, we'll see about who laughs last....

Reactions: doomscroll

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
now yer talkin.

Again, while Kreider is not a finisher/sniper, he and Nieves would be sick esp if the correct RW is added. While Zib is not as fast, he is as strong, big enough, and lethal righty shot.

Hoping mgmt realizes there is no loss in just trying this for 5 weeks or so, give it every chance to succeed.

235.gif

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
now yer talkin.

Hahahahaha. He's literally making fun of you with that post.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
now yer talkin.

If we see Nieves as this team’s 1c for roughly 20% of the season then I think everyone will be laughing. I wouldn’t mind seeing Nieves given a trial in the top-nine if he manages to cement himself as a solid 4c, but he has to earn any time he is given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad